Concerned About Colston Contract Extension (1 Viewer)

nolastyle

The Future Has Arrived
Reaction score
As you may know by now, Larry Fitzgerald's agent raped the Cardinals during his rookie contract negotiations, and the Cards recently had to re-negotiate his contract. They gave Fitzgerald a 4 year, $40 million deal with $30 million guaranteed, including a $15 million signing bonus. This may have just driven the price of signing Colston through the roof. Here's how the two compare over the last two seasons.

Larry Fitzgerald

169 receptions
2,355 receiving yards
16 TDs

Marques Colston

168 receptions
2,240 receiving yards
19 TDs

Using Fitzgerald's contract numbers, a new Colston deal, say 6 years, would be a $60 million deal with a whopping $45 million in guarantees and a $22.5 million signing bonus. Colston's agent is Joel Segal, but I don't know much about his negotiating history other than he negotiated Reggie's rookie contract too.

Now I understand why the front office didn't want to shell out big bucks to Lance Briggs/Asante Samuel. Does this concern anyone else? Will we still have enough money to lock up Will Smith, Jahri Evans, a Top 10 pick, etc.?

I think that's why we've been really conservative with our cap room.

Loomis is a cap genius, he'll make it work.

I think Colston won't break the bank. I think he will get a very nice pay day, but he doesn't seem like the type of guy obsessed about money. I think he'll be looking for 8 mill a year or somewhere in that ballpark.

If anybody thinks we are not gonna be able to keep Colston, your crazy, he is the least of my worries, i'm more worried about keeping Smith....Colston is a LOCK to come back, a bout a sure thing as I can imagine, and I have no link to back me up....he has done everything and more and is a professional, teams arent scared to throw money at those type players....and we have managed the cap very well in anticipation of this....its just the matter of when, that I think has alot of people worried...or anxious should I say.

I hope it isn't that high, but Colston deserves every bit he gets... the kid is a star and it would cost us AT LEAST that much to pick up a free agent receiver of the same calibur

I think Colston won't break the bank. I think he will get a very nice pay day, but he doesn't seem like the type of guy obsessed about money. I think he'll be looking for 8 mill a year or somewhere in that ballpark.

I agree with your assessment on Colston's character regarding money. Obviously, I don't know him personally, but he does come across as a young man with integrity. I hope these traits mean that both sides will show loyalty to one another and benefit during the negotiation and beyond.

As you may know by now, Larry Fitzgerald's agent raped the Cardinals during his rookie contract negotiations, and the Cards recently had to re-negotiate his contract. They gave Fitzgerald a 4 year, $40 million deal with $30 million guaranteed, including a $15 million signing bonus. This may have just driven the price of signing Colston through the roof. Here's how the two compare over the last two seasons.

Larry Fitzgerald

169 receptions
2,355 receiving yards
16 TDs

Marques Colston

168 receptions
2,240 receiving yards
19 TDs

Using Fitzgerald's contract numbers, a new Colston deal, say 6 years, would be a $60 million deal with a whopping $45 million in guarantees and a $22.5 million signing bonus. Colston's agent is Joel Segal, but I don't know much about his negotiating history other than he negotiated Reggie's rookie contract too.

Now I understand why the front office didn't want to shell out big bucks to Lance Briggs/Asante Samuel. Does this concern anyone else? Will we still have enough money to lock up Will Smith, Jahri Evans, a Top 10 pick, etc.?

You can't really compare the two situations because the Cardinals had no negotiating leverage. They signed Fitzgerald to a terrible rookie deal that practically forced Arizona to pay him $31 mil over the next two years. They never wanted to trade him, and they couldn't cut him. So if they wanted to sign him to an extension they'd have to be above "market value".

Colston's a completely different story. He'll get a great payday, probably more comparable with the one Moss just signed, but he's not going to get Fitzgerald's numbers. And I suspect he's OK with that.

Edit: The one you should be concerned about losing is Smith. He's going to be the odd man out. No way are Colston and Evans being let go.

I beleive that a deal with Colston will be completed sometime during training camp or preseason. The saints have been known to extend some players contracts around that time. But he will definitely be signed before the season starts! And if you want to compare his production over the last 2 years to what his pay was, the organization should be investigated for running a sweatshop. This guy EARNED everything he has coming to him. I am just proud that he is a SAINT!!!!!!!!! (He puts you in the mindset of a quiet TO)
Same build, same production, maybe a little bit more, but without the mouth.

And we have tons of money to spend on him, and the cap is only going to get bigger!

Colston will be with the Saints as long as he is productive. I'd look for him to sign for about 6 years 50 million with 25 guaranteed and a $10 million signing bonus. That would be fair.

Difference is, we hold the cards in the Colsten deal, Larry Fitz held all the Cards in Zona. He didn;t need or want a new deal, he was gonna make 14 million next year. Zona wanted the new deal done to get cap relief. Zona approached Fitz to restructure and if they didn;t he was set either way, heck even set if they cut him.

Colston is in a different boat IMO, was a 7th rounder and is playing for scraps in comparision. He needs to be re upped because of what he means to this franchise and where we would be without him (I don't even wanna think about that) But reguardless we could technically hold out on Colston until the 11th hour, and do nothing he would have to play out his next 2 years and I bet the world he would just get Franchised the following year.

Actully thats not true, he will be a RFA next year, so we will have the option to match anything another team offers him. But we would still hold the cards there 2,j ust don't wanna risk a poision pill IMO. But the way Loomis has us set up we are more likely to give them then have them given.

Colston needs to be re-upped because he is an awesome player and really is everything you want in a player, I think we didn't throw money at alotta FA this year because we need guys like him. But this team is making it a point to keep its players (everyone resigned except faine) I am pretty sure thats a good indicator that we are keeping what we have in tact. Highly doubt keeping one of our best players won't be priority number 1.

With us not spending nowhere near all the money we had under the cap this year, and then the money increase we have next year, I see no reason we can't resign all of our players including Will Smith if the team wants him back.

we will probably extend his contract before the draft
i expect something like 6 year 51 mil/30 guaranteed

Give him an 8 year, $65 million deal and call it a day, because in 8 years, what he'll be making is peanuts compared to the top receivers of the day.

dont worry. he will cost us a good bit. but thats the nature of the game. he deserves it all. First of all, loomis knows how great he is, and will pay him. secondly, no one in N.O. wants to see the riot that would follow. Besides bush and brees, colston is our number one guy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom