Concussion rule proposal (1 Viewer)

Maybe they should have a rule that if your head is barely touched, yet you flop and lay on the ground pounding your head acting like you are dying, then you should have to stay out of the game for more than 1 series. Especially when this happens on 3rd down When you are short of the first, and you fake the injury just to get the flag and the automatic first down. (Not talking about anything specific here, just in general) ???

Naw dude. Speaking of such can one of you Who Dats tell me this process. Cook was concused, how do they figure if he plays Monday or is it a specific time to be out. Asking for a friend

The protocol requires the end of symptoms (most concussions resolve within a few hours) and then the player is cleared for LP. After that, he has to pass evaluation again and is then cleared for FP and play.

I think we will see Cook on LP Wednesday and then be cleared - unless he’s got symptoms that require additional time.

I do not agree with the OP's suggestion, but if the NFL really cared about head injuries then adopt the college rule and that if "targeting" is called then that player is ejected for the game and possibly the next (1st half like college). In addition to the ejection, fine the player as well.

While there are still a number of ejections in college, I do not see as many "big" hits as players are much more aware of hitting the head of opponents.

When the 'targeting' rule first came out, it appeared to me that the officials were being instructed to try and determine intent to hit the head or neck area of another player. Such things they were to be looking for is launching their body and lowering the helmet like a missile for impact. Then slowly but surely that rule turned into any collision into the head or neck area even if the defender is clearly trying to avoid the impact. I'm all for removing a guy who is obviously trying to put another players lights out. But to lose a key player simply because he was trying his best to make a play within the rules of the game should not be penalized simply because the collision turned out to be a costly one for one or both of the players in the collision.

Far too many non-intentional hits to the head are being treated as if the player had a chance to stop it from happening. When we were flagged for the hit to that 49er fullback, it was obvious to me that CJGJ was sliding (on his knees) to avoid a hard hit to the players' head area. He had no way of knowing where that players head was going to be when his body got there, and there was nothing vicious about the hit. When asked about it later in the locker room, Gardner-Johnson simply said, "I was trying to make a play."

And I could clearly see that simply stopping the player was his only intent. But that is no longer how it plays out anymore. And it's making it nearly impossible for a defender to do his job without being flagged for it. It's a bad rule that needs to go back to the evidence of 'intent' to make those types of penalties have meaning anymore.

I think that a player can be ejected if the intent is to hurt, i.e. launching yourself head first at a players head, right? Wouldn't that, in effect get rid of the offending player regardless of the outcome of the concussion processes?

BTW, I watched that hit several times and defender clearly launched into Cook. Cook had possession of he football in the end zone and defender attempted to "separate" Cook from the football after the catch.

Naw dude. Speaking of such can one of you Who Dats tell me this process. Cook was concused, how do they figure if he plays Monday or is it a specific time to be out. Asking for a friend

Cook sits this week IMO. I don't remember a player playing the following week for this team that was knocked out cold as he was.

He has to be cleared to play by an independent neurologist before he can play again. Team Dr can allow him to practice though.

Who thinks that if a player is concussed due to an illegal hit that results in a penalty that the player who committed the illegal hit should be removed from the game until the injured player is cleared to return by the doctor.
i posted a number of considerations to this, in an earlier post, including what you have posted here. And the consensus was....IT MAKES TOO MUCH SENSE! LOL, So the NFL will not do it.

Many. They started a thread on it yesterday iirc.
I did, yes.

And for all of those worried abut a cheap shot, from a no name player, taking a fall, to get a high profile player removed. The concussion protocol, as far as I am aware, is administered by NFL doctors on site. They make the final determination, to avoid a faked concussion. Add in, there is only 53 active players on game day. You honestly believe teams will have lesser players (special teams players). begin faking concussions? Come on!

I will say this though. I bet that teams do and would like to take a chance on putting a key offensive player out of a game, with a helmet to helmet, or violent hit to the head (2011 Niners playoff game), and take the 15 yard penalty, just to get that key offensive player out of the game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom