Confession time (1 Viewer)

champ76

Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, time for some soul searching. Just how much of the ragging on Reggie has to do with the fact he played for USC and there is that whole title sharing thing lurking in every Tiger fan's head? Let's be honest here.

Okay, time for some soul searching. Just how much of the ragging on Reggie has to do with the fact he played for USC and there is that whole title sharing thing lurking in every Tiger fan's head? Let's be honest here.

Who's really ragging???

Everyone can see that he's got a ways to go. It's just acknowledgement of that. I don't really see ragging.

Most of it is probably due to the fact that the dancing and juking seems to be getting worse.

He'll get it eventually.

How much of the sticking up for Reggie has to do w/ the fact that he is a USC Trojan (Espn's darling second only to Notre Dame), Heisman Winner, and ESPN's love child...

If he was a 3rd Rd pick or veteran, he would get 0 carries after this past performance....strickly a slot receiver and returner...

Please watch the game...I love whoever plays for the saints, no matter where he comes from...

Now heres a question for you, If Devery Henderson played this poorly, how many on this board would stick up for him???

How much of the sticking up for Reggie has to do w/ the fact that he is a USC Trojan (Espn's darling second only to Notre Dame), Heisman Winner, and ESPN's love child...

If he was a 3rd Rd pick or veteran, he would get 0 carries after this past performance....strickly a slot receiver and returner...

Please watch the game...I love whoever plays for the saints, no matter where he comes from...

Now heres a question for you, If Devery Henderson played this poorly, how many on this board would stick up for him???

Here's the thing, Reggie did not play poorly, he RAN the ball poorly. He probably had his best day picking up blitzers, he caught the ball fine and ran well after the catch and he had a huge return that set up our 1st touchdown to go up by 2 scores in the third quarter, not to mention the overhashed decoy aspect of his play.

I think all of his play must be taken into account not just his running.

Did he run poorly vs. TB? Yes

Did his overall play suck? No, not even close!

There is a difference.....

Here's the thing, Reggie did not play poorly, he RAN the ball poorly. He probably had his best day picking up blitzers, he caught the ball fine and ran well after the catch and he had a huge return that set up our 1st touchdown to go up by 2 scores in the third quarter, not to mention the overhashed decoy aspect of his play.

I think all of his play must be taken into account not just his running.

Did he run poorly vs. TB? Yes

Did his overall play suck? No, not even close!

There is a difference.....

Eventually, he is going to have to be able to run the ball. that is the bottom line....he is a RB!...if not, move him to slot...

Fair question. First of all, I don't believe Reggie is playing poorly. Deuce didn't light it up either this week and it's clear the Bucs were playing the run first. But if you think there has been no ragging of Reggie the last few weeks, you're missing some of the posts on this board. Comparisons to Sully for crying out loud. I know some Saints fans who are in their hearts are bigger Tiger fans, and it seems the biggest critcism of Reggie is coming from them. I just wonder if it there is some lingering resentment from a few years ago.

Eventually, he is going to have to be able to run the ball. that is the bottom line....he is a RB!...if not, move him to slot...

There is no doubt.......

Right now it's all mental, when it comes to him he is going to be rediculous. Until then, as long as we're winning we should all give him some time to adjust. It isn't like he's not contributing!

I just want to point out, I have made a couple "Reggie needs to step it up" threads. I am not a Tigers fan. I used to have offseason rushing camps with Dinardo (sp?) and that just ruined me of the Tigers. I mean how could a college team employ such an ignorant man? Anyway, I am not a Tigers fan (I actually pull for the Georgia Bulldogs) and I still think Reggie needs to step it up.

I think that as long as defenses continue to sell out on reggie (watch the middle linebacker drop coverage on henderson when brees faked the handoff, henderson big play down the middle, td, as a result) he will not have a huge game. BU the offense will continue to click. The problem isn't people criticizing bush, it is thier inability to understand what he does to a defense even when he plays exactly as he is. I agree he will have to produce, but i also know why he isn't.

the difference between Bush and Henderson (up till this past week in Hendersons case) is that Bush isn't a liability to the offense. He is contributing to mismatches that create big plays for the saints. He is helping his team succeed. That's all you can ask of a player. If you aren't happy with bush that's fine, but at least recognize what he does to defenses when he lines up.

Also i have been on Hendersons case because he has played timid in the past. i watched him give up a 5 yard slant to a defender, resulting in a crucial turnover. And I have seen very little to make me feel that he creates opportunities for the saints offense. Considering his performance vs Tampa I am very willing to back off of that stance, he played with a swagger and he made a big differnce.

The frustrating thing is watching fans not get the bigger picture. Does anyone actually believe that when a defense fails to over commit on Reggie that he wont burn them? If that's how you feel, Monte Kiffin strongly disagrees with you, so does baltimore etc etc etc. While the criticism that Reggie just needs to go north and south is fair, I think we also need to look at it in the same light that you would look at a QB with a quirky throwing motion. Sometimes it is best to learn how to let a player work his quirks into his game. I think he needs to relax a little at the handoff and then find his space.........but as long as defenses sell out on stopping him.....those spaces are 3-5 yard runs more often than not.

BTW if you move reggie to the slot, the saints don't start the tampa game with 17 unanswered points.

Last edited:
I think that as long as defenses continue to sell out on reggie (watch the middle linebacker drop coverage on henderson when brees faked the handoff, henderson big play down the middle, td, as a result) he will not have a huge game. BU the offense will continue to click. The problem isn't people criticizing bush, it is thier inability to understand what he does to a defense even when he plays exactly as he is. I agree he will have to produce, but i also know why he isn't.

the difference between Bush and Henderson (up till this past week in Hendersons case) is that Bush isn't a liability to the offense. He is contributing to mismatches that create big plays for the saints. He is helping his team succeed. That's all you can ask of a player. If you aren't happy with bush that's fine, but at least recognize what he does to defenses when he lines up.

Also i have been on Hendersons case because he has played timid in the past. i watched him give up a 5 yard slant to a defender, resulting in a crucial turnover. And I have seen very little to make me feel that he creates opportunities for the saints offense. Considering his performance vs Tampa I am very willing to back off of that stance, he played with a swagger and he made a big differnce.

The frustrating thing is watching fans not get the bigger picture. Does anyone actually believe that when a defense fails to over commit on Reggie that he wont burn them? If that's how you feel, Monte Kiffin strongly disagrees with you, so does baltimore etc etc etc. While the criticism that Reggie just needs to go north and south is fair, I think we also need to look at it in the same light that you would look at a QB with a quirky throwing motion. Sometimes it is best to learn how to let a player work his quirks into his game. I think he needs to relax a little at the handoff and then find his space.........but as long as defenses sell out on stopping him.....those spaces are 3-5 yard runs more often than not.

BTW if you move reggie to the slot, the saints don't start the tampa game with 17 unanswered points.

No. I don't think Bush will have a big game when teams aren't keying on him. He's not struggling because teams are keying on him. He's struggling because he can't find the holes. He bounces everything to the outside and you cannot do that every play in the NFL. Even on that 3rd and 14 draw play....instead of taking off when he got the ball, he danced around for a couple seconds until the defender got to him. I understand what he does to defenses, but it is going to stop at some point...as soon as they realize he can't find a hole, they will stop focusing on him. And if he still can't find a hole he will still struggle.

He's not struggling because teams are keying on him. /QUOTE]

This is where we disagree mightily. I watch defenses sell out every time he gets the ball, and even when the ball is faked to him. If you disagree with that fine.......that's your opinion. And you are more than entitled to that. But it is where I think you are completely wrong, and in all respect, I see no point in debating it further. I just hope fans can understand that this is where it is truly a difference of understanding in this regard and not let it get out of hand beyond that.

I hated Bush till he was a Saint........ I think there is only one player, that I would hate, that wears a saints jersey and thats Ray Lewis........ and maybe Moss..... anyone else and I am cheering them on.....

He's not struggling because teams are keying on him. /QUOTE]

This is where we disagree mightily. I watch defenses sell out every time he gets the ball, and even when the ball is faked to him. If you disagree with that fine.......that's your opinion. And you are more than entitled to that. But it is where I think you are completely wrong, and in all respect, I see no point in debating it further. I just hope fans can understand that this is where it is truly a difference of understanding in this regard and not let it get out of hand beyond that.

Tell me you can't see the holes he's missing. Brian Baldinger had an entire segment on it a couple weeks ago. They even showed it in slow mo on Sunday. It's obvious he just bounces everything to the outside. Did you not see that draw play on 3rd and 14 where he just danced around until a defender got to him instead of taking off through the hole when he got the ball?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom