Confidence level with Jamies Winston? (1 Viewer)

.... much of this WR corps Winston has never thrown to, and has no chemistry with in an official practice setting. Certainly not games. So unfamiliar WRs, and basically being away from throwing for 8 months or so, more than likely getting trust and such back into that knee, and still thinking about it.. what happened the rest of the practice is that he was spot on.

Perfectly stated.. excellent summary!

NW.

About a 6 in confidence. Pete has to really emphasize limiting mistakes and accuracy on balls thrown into the flat. He has a tendency to throw them a tad bit inside at times.

Is that why we led the NFL in yards per play most years during Brees prime? Sorry but that doesn't happen when you run a dink and dunk offense. '18 and '19 we dropped out of the top 5, '20 we dropped out of the top 10.

Stats point towards a very different conclusion to the one you're drawing.
In a west coast offense the route concepts are generally slants, crossing routes and seam routs attacking the defense.

"Dink and dunk" is the wrong verbage so I understand the pushback I'm getting because we are far from that but the short to intermediate passing game is a huge part of what we do and something Winston still struggles with at times.

Last edited:
In a west coast offense the route concepts are generally slants, crossing routes and seam routs attacking the defense.

"Dink and dunk" is the wrong verbage do I understand the pushback I'm getting because we are far from that but the short to intermediate passing game is a huge part of what we do and something Winston still struggles with at times.
The point is that we don't run a West Coast Offense...it may have looked like a WC Offense the last 3 years of Brees but that isn't what we were supposed to be about.

We switched to using horizontal concepts to get WR separation because we couldn't go vertical anymore.

Level of confidence in JW...I'd say 8.5 - 9....Our defense has seen enough 4 yard outs over the past few years to know how to sniff one out.

Probably explains why we're so good against Brady, we know how to play against an advanced in age QB.
God bless you or whoever made your profile pic. It's perfect 😆

I'm super confident in our defense. I'm somewhat confident in Jameis' not screwing things up for our excellent defense. He had the right attitude/demeanor last season.

I don't want to shock y'all, but he will likely throw interceptions in the regular season as well.

We switched to using horizontal concepts to get WR separation because we couldn't go vertical anymore.
That is why we never saw CGM in many vertical routes. And only saw Hardy as a WR after Drew left. We are not going to a vertical scheme, but we will have many vertical components in our scheme. To take advantage of Jamies's arm and new WR personnel. Like you said, Just like Drew did in the early days. We can now get on top of teams.

I think there are a couple of realities that are hard to deny.

1. Jameis has worked his butt off to recover and continue a transformation that started in the Drew Bree’s QB room. Jameis has come a long way since then, and the needle appears to be pointing positive. If not optimism, I think most everyone is extremely hopeful because they’ve seen him mature (on and off the field), are rooting for him, and because it benefits the Saints for him to succeed.

2. We all know it’s about what happens on game day. While Jameis gave us a nice taste of what could be last year, the report card is incomplete. If you rate NFL QBs right now, Jameis probably falls in the middle or a little lower, with an asterisk that suggests he could be a surprise top 10 finisher if everything falls in to place.

We all want Winston to succeed. That being said, the last practices he’s continued to throw interceptions. Today back to back with a pic 6. While it is training camp, should there be any level of concern? Historically (with the exception of last year) interceptions were his achilles heel. It appears none of his throws have much zip on them (at times noticable as well last year)

Chalking this up as training camp?
I think it's early. Contrary to those people clowning you I think it's a legitimate question.

That said, it is the early part of camp after an injury and way too early for concern. Everyone is acutely aware what Jameis was before working with Sean. He obviously put a premium on ball security last year and too some degree took away some of the bad decision making in the process.

With Sean moving on the question on everyone's mind is will Jameis revert back to his previous poor decision-making ways. My biggest concern would be the lack of a strong personality working with Jameis to instill the discipline needed to play the position. Pete Carmichael seems like a laid back person and we all know Sean was the voice of the offense. I think Coach Allen will need to be more heavily involved that he may have originally thought.

I believe Jameis has matured and continues to work hard. He appears to be a fantastic leader. I'm pulling for him but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a year something like 35 TD's and 18 INT's. I would not be surprised if he would be top 10 in TD's and top 5 in INT's.

Either way it's too early to be concerned.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom