Confidence level with Jamies Winston? (1 Viewer)

I think everyone has seen Winston play enough football in his career to have their confidence level settled. Good plays or bad plays won’t change anyones opinions. For the diehard Winston fans he can throw seven interceptions and they will have an excuse. For the critics he can throw seven tds and they are waiting for him to implode.

I'm about a 4 out of 10... All we have to go on is what he's done in Tampa... and a hand full of games here last year where he was held back, and he was an inconsistent roller coaster (Great, Bad, Ok, Meh, Bad, Good, etc)... Until I see him play consistently well for a whole season, and lead a team into and on a deep playoff run... He's still the same guy that got dumped in Tampa in my mind... I would love to be at 8 of 10 by midseason... but I am not holding my breath.

Thanks for your thoughtful response and agree with everything you said.

Also, I found it to be a completely reasonable question, despite it being a 3rd practice, given his track record. Lots of Karen's here though apparently haha
Unless I’m misunderstanding your post, I don’t think there are a lot of “Karens” on here. I think a lot of people are tired of all the BS expectations placed on JW. I mean, just like Iverson, it’s practice, are we talking about…. Practice? This is where you want the players to make mistakes, because I firmly believe we learn more from mistakes, I know I do. To me this is akin to the poster last year who posted a crapton of stills on Jameis throwing a pass out of bounds in a game that the Saints won! This is the same level BS. It is well know that the defense typically has the upper hand early on, yet here we are having this conversation. But folks have faith in Dalton…..

I'm about a 4 out of 10... All we have to go on is what he's done in Tampa... and a hand full of games here last year where he was held back, and he was an inconsistent roller coaster (Great, Bad, Ok, Meh, Bad, Good, etc)... Until I see him play consistently well for a whole season, and lead a team into and on a deep playoff run... He's still the same guy that got dumped in Tampa in my mind... I would love to be at 8 of 10 by midseason... but I am not holding my breath.
Everyone is worried about the RBs, the OL, or even Safety.

How about QB?! Jameis may have changed his personality a bit but he is most likely the same player he was on bucs. When he started last season I saw same exact flashes while he was on bucs. Some great throws but also some very wild throws. I am also holding my breath like I did on this play

We all want Winston to succeed. That being said, the last practices he’s continued to throw interceptions. Today back to back with a pic 6. While it is training camp, should there be any level of concern? Historically (with the exception of last year) interceptions were his achilles heel. It appears none of his throws have much zip on them (at times noticable as well last year)

Chalking this up as training camp?

Would this be the same as everyone who has had Covid and coughs after they have been cleared from having Covid would still be considered to still have Covid? Every QB in the history of the NFL has thrown interceptions, and yes even in training camp. Even the ones that are in the hall of fame have thrown interceptions. JW led the NFL in TD/Interception ratio last year before his injury. What else does the man have to do? Even when JW leads this team to a superbowl, there will be haters out there complaining.

This has nothing to do with training camp or the injury. My confidence in Jameis is and has always been about 7/10, which is fair for a veteran QB. Always liked his confidence and his decent judgment on when to run. His shakiest area IME will be timing routes to Mike and screens to the RBs. He holds the ball too long, and I don't think that can be fixed.

But I thought he was an interception machine lol
Thats what they want you to believe because they can only focus on ONE season. His ratio prior to the 33:30 season was 1.52:1, including the 33:30 season it dropped to 1.375:1, when you add in last year it goes back up to 1.48:1, so he's pretty consistent outside of the 1 year with Arians, which the same could be said for Luck, and Manning. So, I'm not worried about the INTs with him. As long as he stays in the neighborhood of 1.5 to 1 we'll be fine. If he improves to better than that its lagniappe.

Last edited:
Still getting his timing down with his new WR’s (Landry & Olave), plus with MT being injured the last two years he needs to get his timing down with him also. Not to mention reports on our CB’s playing very well should sharpen JW’s accuracy.

I have as much confidence in Winston as the organization that signed their starting quarterback to a two year 22-million-dollar contract.

I think he's a talented player with a nice arm and a good work ethic. I'm cautiously optimistic about the prospect of a full season with him under center.

I think this is a make it or break it year for Jameis. I hope he is on point and has a great year. If he does I can see a deep playoff run for this team. But if he doesn’t the team will struggle to have a winning record.

We all want Winston to succeed. That being said, the last practices he’s continued to throw interceptions. Today back to back with a pic 6. While it is training camp, should there be any level of concern? Historically (with the exception of last year) interceptions were his achilles heel. It appears none of his throws have much zip on them (at times noticable as well last year)

Chalking this up as training camp?
If we are to be honest none of us quite know what to expect from Winston. He has never shown consistency over a season and last year was really restrained. I want to see him turned loose. You can't draw any conclusions from training camp for him. The story will be written once the season starts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom