Congrats to Southern Miss... (2 Viewers)

purvis_guy

Victim of Laughing Chance
Reaction score
for beating Virginia today at Hattiesburg! The Cavaliers jumped out to a 27 to 10 halftime lead, but USM hung tough and won 37 to 34. The Golden Eagles are 3-0, but they have a very tough game next week as they travel to Kansas to play the Jayhawks.

With around 7 minutes to go in the third quarter and Virginia on top 34-17, I turned to my son and told him that if USM didn't score on their next series, I was ready to leave. Then Fast Freddie Parham returned the kickoff for a touchdown, the defense gets nasty and Fletcher and Harrisn score fourth quarter touchdowns to pull out the win. :9:

It was a really strange game though -- it was eerily similar to the Saints-Lions game in that there were phantom calls, some other bad officiating and gift scores due to turnovers deep.

That's great and I'm definitely happy for Southern Miss, but William and Mary beat Virginia. Not taking anything away from Southern Miss, but Virginia isn't that great anymore.

That's great and I'm definitely happy for Southern Miss, but William and Mary beat Virginia. Not taking anything away from Southern Miss, but Virginia isn't that great anymore.
Thats true but I still hope they pull it out. Maybe Kansas will have a bad.

That was a great comeback for Southern Miss. Kansas will be a tough game.

Ole Miss and Miss State will not play us anymore.

That was a great comeback for Southern Miss. Kansas will be a tough game.

Ole Miss and Miss State will not play us anymore.
I thought I read in the Jackson paper that MSU would be willing to talk about playing USM (in football) but Ole Miss won't even entertain the thought.
FWIW I remember that Ole Miss stopped playing USM because of the lack of revenue generated. I think that was from when they were playing in Jackson. MSU piggy backed on that argument as well.

I thought I read in the Jackson paper that MSU would be willing to talk about playing USM (in football) but Ole Miss won't even entertain the thought.
FWIW I remember that Ole Miss stopped playing USM because of the lack of revenue generated. I think that was from when they were playing in Jackson. MSU piggy backed on that argument as well.

They're just skeered, :ezbill:
Seriously, one argument I've heard from them is that they already have one rival in Mississippi, and don't want another.

We used to play in Jackson yeah. It was a good arrangement in the 70's because Jackson's stadium was much bigger and therefore generated more revenue (when filled up) then the on-campus stadiums for both schools. We also occasionally played SEC teams in Jackson (like Tennessee or LSU) for the same reason.

As MSU and Ole Miss on-campus stadiums improved, increased capacity, and charged more for tickets though it stopped making financial sense. There's no way we'd play in Jackson at this point.

That said, non-BCS schools are demanding more and more money now to sacrifice themselves on the altar of BCS football. Playing without having to give a return game is becoming unprofitable and even 2 for 1 deals are more and more marginal. That's the major reason MSU is considering USM right now.

Ole Miss probably won't though for the same reason we just dropped Memphis. We don't like USM and don't want to go there. You can say we're "scared", maybe some are, I don't know. But honestly, mostly, we'd just rather go to places like New Orleans to play Tulane then go to Hattisburg. :idunno:

I think it has more to do with this:
http://usm_eagles_nest.homestead.com/Tradition.html

In the last 15 meetings against Miss. State

Southern Miss holds a 10 - 5 advantage.

In the last 7 meetings with Ole Miss
Southern Miss holds a 5 - 2 advantage.

The Golden Eagles also captured the mythical State Football Championship by defeating both Ole Miss and Miss. State in 1977, 1979, 1980 and 1983 before the rivalries with USM were discontinued by both SEC schools.

We used to play in Jackson yeah. It was a good arrangement in the 70's because Jackson's stadium was much bigger and therefore generated more revenue (when filled up) then the on-campus stadiums for both schools. We also occasionally played SEC teams in Jackson (like Tennessee or LSU) for the same reason.

As MSU and Ole Miss on-campus stadiums improved, increased capacity, and charged more for tickets though it stopped making financial sense. There's no way we'd play in Jackson at this point.

That said, non-BCS schools are demanding more and more money now to sacrifice themselves on the altar of BCS football. Playing without having to give a return game is becoming unprofitable and even 2 for 1 deals are more and more marginal. That's the major reason MSU is considering USM right now.

Ole Miss probably won't though for the same reason we just dropped Memphis. We don't like USM and don't want to go there. You can say we're "scared", maybe some are, I don't know. But honestly, mostly, we'd just rather go to places like New Orleans to play Tulane then go to Hattisburg. :idunno:

I honestly wish my fellow Southern Miss fans would just get over Ole Miss and MSU. I really could care less if we ever play them again. It just shows that our fan base is hanging on while the other two programs have moved on.

Seriously, what does Ole Miss or MSU gain for playing us? Nothing at all. They already have an instate rival. Why would they even want to take a shot at losing to us and possibly losing more instate recruits or hurting their chances in a BCS race. The SEC is tough enough. Southern is starting to finally land a few big ones in MS, so Ole Miss and MSU don't need another reason to lose anymore if they happen to lose to us. Also, the same goes for Southern, if we lose to Ole Miss or MSU, then they all of sudden get the recruits back that Southern has tried to so hard to get the last two years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom