Congress, out of stuff to do, questions NFL network (1 Viewer)

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2662146

Specter grilled NFL executive vice president and general counsel Jeffrey Pash during the 90-minute hearing on sports programming. The hearing focused on how live games on the NFL Network could affect cable and satellite rates and whether the games raise any antitrust issues in connection with the Sports Broadcasting Act.

Please don't move this to the SSF. This is a political issue, not a football issue.

LMAO. I saw that this morning in the paper and and my jaw dropped to the point that it hit the toilet seat.

How about they look into the fact that MNF is now on a premium channel and direct ticket is only available on sat. in this country, yet on cable in both Mexico and Canada.

I don't know, but I think the anti-trust questions need to be asked. They're doing things that wouldn't have been dreamed of 25 years ago.

:shrug:

TPS

I don't know, but I think the anti-trust questions need to be asked. They're doing things that wouldn't have been dreamed of 25 years ago.

:shrug:

TPS

The anti-trust questions should have been addressed several years ago when Congress' handlers and DirecTV started VERY QUIETLY making this deal. i think the last time the contract was renewed was 2003?

IIRC at that time, the rest of the country was busy braying at some shiny distraction that affected them FAR less, like gay marriage or flag burning or something. The TMQ wrote about this deal, and predicted that exactly this would happen, but i don't remember hearing much more about it at that time.

I see that the Thanksgiving Chiefs-Broncos game is on NFL Network... So am I correct in assuming that, since Time Warner Cable doesn't carry NFL Network, there's no way I can watch that game without going to a bar?? If so, that sucks....

Suppose they put every game on the NFL Network and no where else - how would that run afoul of the anti-trust laws?

Cox, Time Warner, Charter and a million other companies are upset because the NFL Network will be a hot item when the games start and they don't want to pay the extra fees for the channel. So they are trying to show the NFL Network that they don't need their channel and the customers of these companies are getting upset and changing their cable/satellite provider. Now the CEO's figure it would be cheaper to buy their voice in congress rather than just ante up the money for NFL Network.

Instead of our political leaders working on something important they are trying to use their political muscle to influence what would normally be business decisions.

If the Republicans were still in power this wouldn't be happening because the NFL is in their pocket.

Thank god we busted our but to read all the political dirt the candidates dug up on each other, decided which candidate was the less of two evils and went out to vote.

>>If the Republicans were still in power this wouldn't be happening because the NFL is in their pocket.

Technically they are until January. And Senator Specter is a Republican. But somehow, knowing you, I know you already know that. :hihi:

TPS

>>If the Republicans were still in power this wouldn't be happening because the NFL is in their pocket.

Technically they are until January. And Senator Specter is a Republican. But somehow, knowing you, I know you already know that. :hihi:

TPS

Yeah, but it is so much more fun making fun of the two incredible political parties this country has.

Should be interesting to see what Congress decides (AKA, who is willing to spend more money).

I see that the Thanksgiving Chiefs-Broncos game is on NFL Network... So am I correct in assuming that, since Time Warner Cable doesn't carry NFL Network, there's no way I can watch that game without going to a bar?? If so, that sucks....

i think that may be the case.....i have a felling that this is going to get even uglier considering there will be more thursday night games on the NFL network

i think that may be the case.....i have a felling that this is going to get even uglier considering there will be more thursday night games on the NFL network

Do you think the NFL Network wants that game to be a close and exciting shoot out?

Maybe they should just require the NFL to show all games for free in any countries in the Middle East thirsting for democracy.

I bought NFL Network about a year ago. 2 weeks later my cable company quit carrying it. It stinks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom