Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
askmike.jpg

Conque… The Flame-Thrower

By Mike Detillier

Last week at the Manning Passing Academy on the campus of Nicholls State University a very familiar name was on hand to be one of the college quarterback counselors.

Zach Conque, the youngest son of former Nicholls State All-American linebacker and current Stephen F. Austin head coach Clint Conque, was impressive throwing the ball during last Thursday’s college quarterback workout day and throughout the weekend as a counselor.

Clint Conque was a standout linebacker at Catholic High School in Baton Rouge before having a stellar college career with the Colonels and he was inducted into the school’s Hall of Fame.

While Clint excelled on the defensive side of the ball at Nicholls State his youngest son Zach is making a name for himself at the quarterback position.

Zach’s passing skills caught the eye of former NFL quarterback and patriarch of the Manning family, Archie Manning.

“Eli and Peyton wanted Zach here and they did some recruiting to get him to help out and he not only looks the part physically, he’s a really big young man, but I was impressed with his set-up skills and accuracy with the receivers here,” Manning said. “Every year there are about a dozen teams looking to upgrade the quarterback spot in the NFL and Zach’s an impressive young arm out there.”

The 6-5, 240 pounder who was born in Monroe, Louisiana, was glad to be back in Louisiana to see folks connected to his parents and his dad’s former school.

“It’s been a great experience to come back here to Thibodaux where my dad played college football,” Conque said. “Thibodaux is like another home to me with so many personal connections to my Mom (Angele) and dad (Clint). It’s fantastic to help work with the campers and also spend some time with the Mannings and see just how they stress the fundamental part of the game and it’s about doing the right things all the time and not just some of the time. Playing the quarterback position is so much about timing with your receivers, being ready mentally, helping win games and being a great teammate. When you think about the fact that Peyton Manning won 70% of his games in the pros that is just astounding. That is what you think about when you think of Peyton and Eli.”

Conque had an outstanding prep career at Catholic High School in Little Rock, Arkansas where he was the runner-up for Arkansas’ Gatorade Player of the Year after throwing for over 5,000 yards and 38 touchdowns and rushing for over 800 yards and scoring 15 rushing touchdowns.
The strong-armed quarterback signed on with UT-San Antonio in 2012 and was redshirted before seeing “spot” action in one game in 2013.

Conque transferred to play for his dad in 2014 and he was named the Southland Conference Newcomer of the Year after completing 64.7% of his passes, throwing for 2,733 yards and 15 TD’s. He also rushed for 626 yards and 13 touchdowns as a sophomore.

“Zach came to us in 2014 and he was an outstanding leader and made so many big plays for us on the field,” said Clint Conque, the head coach at Stephen F. Austin. “Last year he got hurt early in the season, but he fought through it. Even with the knee injury he started 10 games, completed over 58% of his throws, threw for 1,933 yards, 16 touchdowns and 8 pass interceptions. And he still rushed for over 550 yards and 11 rushing touchdowns. I am not talking like his dad here, but he has the physical skills to play at the next level and people will be so surprised about how fast he is for a 240 pound guy. Zach’s a (4.65) 40-yard guy. I am talking like a coach here, but he is fundamentally sound, sets up quickly, he has a quick release and he can put the ball in tight spots. Again, his ability to create or extend plays with his feet is underrated if you haven’t watched him.
He really has been a super young man and a first-rate team leader. His mother did a really good job making him a fine young man. I think like all parents I just want him to stay healthy and have the best senior season he can have. If it works out in the NFL great, if not, he will still make a mark in life.”

Former Southeastern (LA.) head coach and San Francisco 49ers regional scout Oscar Lofton also had high praise for the rocket-armed passer.

“My goodness Zach (Conque) is a big man and he can zip those throws in there in really small windows, “Lofton said while working as a counselor at the Manning Camp. “But I didn’t realize how mobile he was in the pocket. He can move around real well when pressure comes near him and he has strong set-up skills. Just look at the NFL with (Joe) Flacco with the Baltimore Ravens- he was from Delaware, the McCown brothers (Louisiana Tech and Sam Houston State) and the kid out with the (Jacksonville) Jaguars Blake Bortles is from Central Florida. If you got the skills the NFL will spot you. The NFL is starving for good young arms and jet-pilot folks. You have to make smart decisions as fast in the pocket as a jet fighter pilot and that’s the hard cut right there. This young man (Zach Conque) can play, but the pros put so much emphasis on your last at bat. His senior season will dictate where he gets picked, but he’s gifted.”

The senior quarterback is excited for the football season to start and he is pulling for another small college quarterback to do well at the NFL level.

“I’m 100% healthy and really geared up for the 2016 season,” Zach Conque said. “We had a great spring with some very talented receivers on the roster. I have worked extra time in the filmroom getting totally prepared and also with my foot work. If the NFL happens that would be great. I think every guy who has ever put on a helmet and pair of shoulder pads does dream about that moment. But my total focus now is to help Stephen F. Austin have a winning season, win the Southland Conference and get into the playoffs. We are playing with that underdog mentality, just like Nicholls State.

But I will be pulling for quarterback Carson Wentz with the Philadelphia Eagles this year. Carson had two scholarship offers coming out of high school and played at North Dakota State. It goes to show you that it doesn’t matter where you play if you are good enough the pros will find you. I don’t know if he realizes what sort of impact he has made on so many guys who might not be playing in the SEC, PAC-12, ACC or the Big-10. To go from being virtually an unknown to the second overall pick in the draft says volumes.”

I currently have Conque rated a 6th/7th round pick for the 2017 NFL draft, but he has his focus on winning games in 2016 for Stephen F. Austin and playing the Colonels in Thibodaux.

“Coach (Tim) Rebowe is doing a great job here at Nicholls State and we pulled it out last year (28-24), so I am looking forward to being back in Thibodaux one more time. I had a pretty good game against them last year, but I know from things my dad has told me and from playing against them the last two years it is going to be a tough game for us. We want to just come out with the “W”. My focus is on getting better each day and winning.”

But no doubt about it, the NFL scouts are well aware of Zach Conque.

The Green Wave Presence in the Middle

The last time the Tulane Green Wave had a player selected with a top-50 pick on the defensive side of the ball you have to go back to 1987 when the Cincinnati Bengals selected cornerback Eric Thomas in the second round.
That will likely all change when the 2017 NFL draft rolls around and defensive tackle Tanzel Smart again showcases his football skills for Tulane in 2016.

In many ways Smart, who prepped at Scotlandville Magnet High School in Baton Rouge, reminds me of a former LSU Tiger defensive tackle in Anthony “Booger” McFarland.

The 6-1, 305 pound Smart claimed 1st team All-American Athletic Conference honors in 2015 after totaling 62 tackles, 15 tackles for losses, 2 quarterback sacks and he forced one fumble despite getting double-team action in every game.

I currently have the very disruptive and quick interior defensive tackle rated a 2nd round pick for the 2017 NFL draft.

NFL scouts are already talking volumes about Smart’s quick movement skills off the snap, his ability to use his arms and hands effectively to free himself from would-be blockers and his 1st rate diagnostic skills to find the football.

But what gets plenty of notice also is his hustle and desire out on the field.

Tulane new head football coach Willie Fritz has already raved about Smart’s leadership, toughness and his non-stop motor out when on the football field.

“Tanzel is such an impressive young man, “Fritz said. “You just see his quickness off the snap, he attacks the ball quickly and he never quits on a play. He has outstanding speed and quickness for such a large man and he is agile enough to change directions to track down a play. He leads by example and showing the other players no matter how talented he is his hustle, desire and attitude to excel is always on display. He makes plays and creates plays out on the field. That is what we are looking for here at Tulane and we got a real good one in Tanzel Smart.”

For a college team not noted for producing top front-seven defensive players to the pros in recent years the play of Smart will have scouts coming in numbers to watch his skillset and never quit attitude out on the field.

Smart is good, very good…..And the NFL people know about him.

Follow Mike on Twitter at @MikeDetillier

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom