Conrad Offseaoson 1/30/2008 (1 Viewer)

Conrad

Reaction score
Conrad Offseason 1/31/2008 [Revised]

<st1:city><st1></st1></st1:city><o></o> <st1:city><st1>New Orleans</st1></st1:city> Saints Offseason
<o></o>
Free Agents<o></o>
<o></o>
DT Cory Williams [<st1:city><st1>Green Bay</st1>] </st1:city>6 years 32 million/ 16 guaranteed [5.5]
<o></o>
S Madieu Williams [<st1:city><st1>Cincinnati</st1></st1:city>] 5 years 22 million/ 10 guaranteed [4]
<o></o>
Resignings<o></o>
<o></o>
C Jeff Faine 5 years 18 million/ 7 guaranteed [3]
<o></o>
C Jonathan Goodwin
<o></o>
WR David Patten [1]
<o></o>
RB Aaron Stecker [2]
<o></o>
WR Terrence Copper
<o></o>
DE Renaldo Wynn
<o></o>
Releases [Savings/Million]
<o></o>
CB Jason Craft [2]
<o>]</o>
CB Fred Thomas [3]
<o></o>
K Olindo Mare [1.5]<o></o>
<o></o>
LB Brian Simmons [2]>
<o></o>
Extensions<o></o>
<o></o>
WR Marques Colston 6 years 38 million/18 guaranteed [6]
<o></o>
OG Jahri Evans 6 years 30 million/ 15 guaranteed [5]
<o></o>
Will Smith 6 years 60 million/ 25 guaranteed [10]
<o></o>
Draft<o></o>
<o></o>
*The New Orleans Saints trade 2[42], 4[117] and S Josh Bullocks to the San Diego Chargers for 1[27] and 5[149]. The Chargers only have picks in rounds 1,5,6 and they move down to gather more picks.<o></o>
<o></o>
1[10] CB Mike Jenkins [<st1>South Florida</st1>]
<o></o>
The CB free agent class is not going to be strong. Jenkins is the physical man cover guy that the Saints need across from Mike McKenzie. With McKenzie’s injury Jenkins will need to come in and compete to start and at 6’ 200lbs. 4.4 [40] he has the tools to do so.

rutgersspan600.jpg

<o></o>
1[27] LB Curtis Lofton [OU]
<o></o>
Lofton might not have elite size [6’ 240lbs] but he is the heat seeking missile that the Saints need at MLB. His stats at <st1:state><st1>:place>Oklahoma</st1>:place></st1:state> this year were insane and so is the style that he plays. He will bring an entire new level of intensity to the defense and speed to the MLB spot.
<o></o>
lofton235alexander101407sto.jpg
<o></o>
<o></o>
3[74] DT Andre Fluellen [<st1:street><st1:address>Florida St</st1:address></st1:street>.]
<o></o>
At 6’1” 295lbs. he is not huge, but he has an explosive first step and he penetrates up field. He is built in the mold of a Coach Ogereon defensive lineman.
<o></o>
floridastate_andre_fluellen_sm.jpg
<o>
]
</o> <o></o>
5. OG Barry Richardson [Clemson]
<o></o>
The Saints need help at LG and Richardson who played LT at Clemson brings great size [6’6” 331lbs] and played in a run blocking system in college.
<o></o>
442598.jpg
<o></o>
<o></o>
5. LB Jordan Dizon [<st1:state><st1>Colorado</st1></st1:state>]
<o></o>
Dizon is undersized, but he tackles well and can come in and compete at WLB and contribute in special teams.
<o></o>
0908asucov3-autosized258.jpg
<o></o>
<o></o>
6. TE Darrell Strong [Pitt]
<o></o>
Youth and run blocking at the TE position and will backup Billy Miller.
<o></o>
bhdihqia.jpg
<o></o>

7. CB Marcus Walker [OU]
<o></o>
More CB depth and bodies.
<o></o>
a91dcae7-57fa-48d9-aa3a-c901ae070eba_ms.jpeg
<o></o>

<o>
</o>

Last edited:
I don't like it. Why Highsmith, there will be so many players that would work better for us than him, If we had to reach for a Lb I'd go for Lofton instead. Why did we trade down to 14 what did the team with pick 14 want? If we traded down and got a 3rd we could move our 2nd up into the late first and get Lofton and also get an impact player at pick 14 at CB or Saftey, and I think Lofton would be better than your 3rd rounders or your second round picks.

Last edited:
I would not be happy with that draft! The homer pick in the 1st really sucks

Yet another offseason scenario in which the team doesn't get any better on offense. In the NFL if you don't upgrade a particular side of the ball it usually gets worse the next year. The team needs to upgrade on offense too, contrary to popular belief.

After ACL injury #2 for Deuce, it's time to look for a full time backup. We already have a scatback. We need to look towards upgrading at running back in the 3rd or 4th round. This is a particularly deep year for running backs. In the 4th this year we would almost certainly be getting a better back than Antonio Pittman. As far as WRs go, we need to keep Patten, he was the only consistent contributor this year. Let Henderson and Copper go. We had too many drive killing drops this season.

We could also use a bona-fide starter at TE, and not TE-by-commitee.

Also the popular speculation is that McKenzie won't play until late next season, if at all. I don't think he can be penciled in as a starter.

Highsmith is best suited for a cover-2. Expect Indy or Chicago to make a run at him in the 1st. We need physical bonecrushers who can rush the passer and make the ballcarrier run to the bathroom after he wets himself. We need Shawn Crable in round 2 to play the WILL and use him like Seattle does Julian Peterson. Beau Bell in the 3rd to play the middle and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie in round 1 to shut down half the field. You put big, strong athletes up front and finesse man-corners in the back and we will have a dominant defense. All that we need to figure out is how we're going to get Red Bryant in here to clog up the middle and free up Smith/Grant.

Conrad is like Mel Kiper. A lot of mocks, yet none of them have any hope of being right.

Highsmith at #10??? With Jacob Hester, Matt Flynn, and Chevis Jackson still on the board???

Yet another offseason scenario in which the team doesn't get any better on offense. In the NFL if you don't upgrade a particular side of the ball it usually gets worse the next year. The team needs to upgrade on offense too, contrary to popular belief.

Based on your reasonings, in your oppinion how bad our defense is.....after it was neglected for the past 7 years at least!?

Good Job Lofton will make an impact and will probally be better than anyone we get in the 4th or 2nd, but I doubt that the chargers will give up their 5th because they are trying to get more picks. I don't know if Jenkins will be the best CB on the board at 10 though. But it is a huge improvment from an hour ago. With the trading of Bullocks you might want to think about putting Dominque Barber for our 5th or 6th round pick. But I don't know much about Madieu Williams maybe he is good enough? Corey Williams is an excellent FA pickup. Payton will probally want to go offence in the 3rd round, maybe a WR like Eddie Royal or D.J. Hall.

Last edited:
Well in that case, what mock draft is ever right? At least Mel Kiper gets it close to right.:dunno:

No he doesn't. I want you to remember his current mock, maybe cut and paste it and save it on your harddrive. I gurantee he is nowhere near right.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom