Conservatives, Moderates...Lend Me Your Ears.. (1 Viewer)

st. dave

All-Pro
Reaction score
Unless a dead blonde or a live boy winds up in John McCain's bed, he will most likely win the Republican nomination.

I would like to ask those who wish to respond to point out McCain's strengths and weaknesses and does he even have a prayer or a legitimate shot against Hillary or Obama in November?

Thanks to all.

st. dave

P.S. happy birthday, Steve!

My bet is yes -- he has a chance.

And precisely for this reason:
He's not Obama or Clinton.

Whether on not he's a closet liberal/Democrat, I don't know.

But this I do know: George Bush didn't turn out to be much of a conservative. So, to quote Forrest Gump, "Ya never know what you're gonna get."

Thanks st. dave. His biggest strength is that he's very diplomatic and is willing to debate issues even where he disagrees completely with the other side. He believes that is owed to the American people that issues get real debate rather than lip service.

His biggest weakness is his ego. I don't think it's a big problem, but many others - particularly conservatives - have accused him of pining for television face time at every opportunity. His other weakness would be his age.

I think he can beat Hillary straight up. His base isn't so much with the religious or hardline conservatives (despite that he's a pro-life Episcopal) but with the center of the electorate. He draws a lot of respect from middle-of-the-road and independent voters such as myself. I'd easily vote for McCain over Hillary even though I've never supported a Republican for President before (also assuming there isn't a 3rd party or independent candidate that I like better).

TPS

TPS... what's your position on Paul? I'm just curious. Our opinions have been known to but heads in the past but I think you nailed it with McCain. I think he is too fiscally liberal for my blood, but he'd get my vote only because Hilary or Obama would not. The only candidate that I was really for just dropped out yesterday, and that was Giuliani . He was the most socially moderate out of the bunch, but he was fiscally right (no pun intended.)

He draws a lot of respect from middle-of-the-road and independent voters such as myself. I'd easily vote for McCain over Hillary even though I've never supported a Republican for President before (also assuming there isn't a 3rd party or independent candidate that I like better).

TPS

As a third party (libertarian) voter, I would consider voting for McCain. Of course, I've voted for a Republican for President twice before Bush I (1992) and Bush II (2000 :covri: ). But, I have to say that I had a lot more respect for McCain as of a year or two ago. He seems to have made an effort to come into the fold of the Republican party in the last year or so and compromised some of his prior positions. Whether it's a true compromise or lip service to appeal the the religious right I don't know. Either way, it makes me less likely to vote for him. Still, I would vote for him over Hillary or Obama, but it's unlikely I would vote for him over anyone the Libertarians nominate.

I think he is too fiscally liberal for my blood

I'm curious in what way you find McCain fiscally liberal? McCain is actually fiscally conservative and pretty conservative on foreign policy but liberal on civil liberties and social issues like immigration.

McCain opposed the Bush tax cuts because he wanted them coupled with spending cuts. That's Real (TM) Fiscal Conservatism. I wouldn't consider McCain even remotely fiscally liberal. His fiscal conservatism is one of the things I like about him.

I'm at work, so I can't exactly go to this particular site right now...

www.dailykos.com

Look in the right sidebar for the guy who's asking why everybody's worried about McCain. Best dissection of McCain that I've seen by anybody.

Turns over every rock. Beats anything I could ever come up with.

I'm curious in what way you find McCain fiscally liberal? McCain is actually fiscally conservative and pretty conservative on foreign policy but liberal on civil liberties and social issues like immigration.

McCain opposed the Bush tax cuts because he wanted them coupled with spending cuts. That's Real (TM) Fiscal Conservatism. I wouldn't consider McCain even remotely fiscally liberal. His fiscal conservatism is one of the things I like about him.

Yeah, if it wasn't for his foreing policy, I as a Libertarian would likely easily vote for McCain.

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't know the real reason behind him opposing the cuts, freaking media! I was using the term "fiscally" liberally because I think that one's immigration stance has a little to do with $$$$ as well, meaning a large part of his stance on immigration is because of the little positive economic impact illegals have. I don't know if I put that to well though. However, I would like to know more pros/cons since obviously I'm a little behind on my reading.

Unless a dead blonde or a live boy winds up in John McCain's bed, he will most likely win the Republican nomination.

so if his wife dies in her sleep tonight, he's out? :huh:

oh, and (edit) - his biggest strengths are that Rush Limbo and Sean Calamity are doing their best to derail his candidacy.

I would like to ask those who wish to respond to point out McCain's strengths and weaknesses and does he even have a prayer or a legitimate shot against Hillary or Obama in November?

Thanks to all.

st. dave

P.S. happy birthday, Steve!

first off, just because he won florida, and first time in the primary process he has a lead over Romney who has been the front runner since NH. it way to early to name McCain the nominee. Wait untill super tuesday plays out first.

second, no, i don't think he has a chance to beat either of them. Given the choice between an old, white, congressional insider, and change...I think most people will vote for change.

I won't vote for McCain, i'd vote libertarian first.

if McCain really sticks it to the Neocons and selects lieberman, he will get my vote. If not, im on the Obama train!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom