Console Wars! SNES vs SEGA (2 Viewers)

1st post is asking us to click links?

Buzd, fire this nub.

not gonna click the link, but heres my take

Aladdin on Genesis is superior because you actually get a sword in addition to throwing apples. nintendo stumbles for only allowing apple throwing.

SNES has crisper graphics and the SNES controller is still my all time favorite so i prefer playing games on it. but Aladdin is one of the rare games where i choose the Sega version. i just make sure im using the 6 button genesis controller instead of the 3 button.

not gonna click the link, but heres my take

Aladdin on Genesis is superior because you actually get a sword in addition to throwing apples. nintendo stumbles for only allowing apple throwing.

SNES has crisper graphics and the SNES controller is still my all time favorite so i prefer playing games on it. but Aladdin is one of the rare games where i choose the Sega version. i just make sure im using the 6 button genesis controller instead of the 3 button.

Mortal Kombat

Blood vs. Ashes????

I remember Kano pulling out a fist full of grayness :mad:

CONSOLE WARS! SNES vs SEGA - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

In the early 90's Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis were bitter rivals. Each console had their own respected games. Occasionally, games came out for both systems. This show focuses on these games. Two bitter rivals representing each console determine which system had the better game. Episode 2 is about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

CONSOLE WARS! - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - YouTube

Personally for me, except in a few rare circumstances, I will always favor a Super Nintendo cartridge over a Genesis one. Mainly for one big difference: the audio chip.

Super Nintendo's audio chip set used the Sony SPC700 which, in my opinion, is the superior chip set between the two. Super Nintendo's soundtracks were always polished, never had any additional background noise or particles, and always came off as super clean. It's no wonder that many video game soundtrack gurus have many Super Nintendo games in their top 10 lists with very few Sega games. Games like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and Super Castlevania IV ring a bell here.

The Sega Genesis, on the other hand, employed the use of the Yamaha YM2612 processor. While still a good processor, it pales in comparison to the Super Nintendo's Sony SPC700. The soundtracks always sound granulated, industrial, and gritty. Personally, I enjoy many Sega Genesis game soundtracks, but when they go head to head with an identical title from the SNES, the choice is almost always SNES. Unless of course the game is identical in name only and gameplay differs (such as Beavis and Butthead, same name, same game for both systems, but the gameplay was radically different).

For example, here is the same track from Stage 5 in Battletoads & Double Dragon. You can notice the polished sound of the SNES contrasts starkly with the gritty industrial tone of Sega's Yamaha processor.

SNES - Battletoads & Double Dragon from the SNES's Sony SCP700:
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iy7IQ-i2Zzc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iy7IQ-i2Zzc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Sega Genesis - Battletoads & Double Dragon from the Genesis' Yamaha YM2612:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pHLPOumTy-Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't know if it ws the same for the SNES, but I remember there being some games for the Sega Genesis that were damn near unplayable.

I don't know if it ws the same for the SNES, but I remember there being some games for the Sega Genesis that were damn near unplayable.

Unplayable as in too hard or unplayable as in bad?

Bad games existed on every system so you must mean too hard. In which case I'd like some examples!

My favorite game on there ToeJam and Earl took forever to beat and was pretty damn hard near the end levels, beating it in one sitting too was often ridiculous! Had to leave it on overnight sometimes lol.

My favorite game on there ToeJam and Earl took forever to beat and was pretty damn hard near the end levels, beating it in one sitting too was often ridiculous! Had to leave it on overnight sometimes lol.

ToeJam and Earl is AWESOME. I tried to get my gf to play but she got bored fast :covri:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom