Conspiracy...the other owners? (1 Viewer)

Think about it.

The collective market value of the 32 NFL franchises must be $50-60 billion dollars. Discovery of a conspiracy to rig officiating to send the Rams to the Super Bowl would have a catastrophic effect on the NFL and send people to prison.

And for such extraordinary risk, how would the NFL gain? Yes, if the Rams win the Super Bowl, they should sell more PSLs and season tickets in the new stadium. But the overall revenue increase to the other 31 owners is marginal.

And the officiating did not seem rigged in the first 58 minutes, the Rams still had to score on the last drive, and the officials called pass interference on the Rams in the beginning of overtime.

The non-call was terrible and the worst I can remember seeing. One or two officials should never again officiate an NFL game. But this was not some great conspiracy.

Oh that’s right, the Rams stayed in St. Louis because the financial gain in developing the LA market is marginal...said no one ever!

My statement is that the revenue increase to each of the other 31 owners from the Rams winning this Super Bowl, rather than the Rams losing the NFC championship game, is marginal--that is, relatively small.

If you disagree, I welcome your reasons.

Oh that’s right, the Rams stayed in St. Louis because the financial gain in developing the LA market is marginal...said no one ever!
It was better for the Rams to return home was better, but the League wouldn’t rig a game for them to go to the Super Bowl. Heck, if they were gonna rig anything, it would’ve been Dallas Vs Philadelphia for the NFC Championship.

Think about it.

The collective market value of the 32 NFL franchises must be $50-60 billion dollars. Discovery of a conspiracy to rig officiating to send the Rams to the Super Bowl would have a catastrophic effect on the NFL and send people to prison.

And for such extraordinary risk, how would the NFL gain? Yes, if the Rams win the Super Bowl, they should sell more PSLs and season tickets in the new stadium. But the overall revenue increase to the other 31 owners is marginal.

And the officiating did not seem rigged in the first 58 minutes, the Rams still had to score on the last drive, and the officials called pass interference on the Rams in the beginning of overtime.

The non-call was terrible and the worst I can remember seeing. One or two officials should never again officiate an NFL game. But this was not some great conspiracy.
I can only ask how was it humanly possible to miss that call ?

It was not a bias against the Saints, but a bias towards not making a last-minute call that would decide a championship game. Nearly always the controversy is over the penalty called, not the penalty not called. But here because the pass interference was so obvious and even intentional, and because of the circumstances, we had something of a perfect storm for a non-call to become the story of the game.

Well I grew up a pro wrestling fan and then I craved real genuine passion when I got older. Therefore I loved watching all sorts of ball games...

Now it’s all ruined. After the game, the curtain is completely lifted, I see the errors of my ways. It makes me feel like a fool. There I was all these years thinking the best teams with the best prepared game plan... won.

I don’t have that confidence now. Now I really don’t see how I’ll watch a game the same way.

And the sad thing is... it makes so much sense. NFL is a business, what does a business want?... money. Of course they want LA to beat New Orleans. I feel like such a fool. I should have already known it was for the money.

That my friends is why I think I’ll watch pro wrestling again. Pre determined, but they’re better and more entertaining than these sporting leagues at it...

Well I grew up a pro wrestling fan and then I craved real genuine passion when I got older. Therefore I loved watching all sorts of ball games...

Now it’s all ruined. After the game, the curtain is completely lifted, I see the errors of my ways. It makes me feel like a fool. There I was all these years thinking the best teams with the best prepared game plan... won.

I don’t have that confidence now. Now I really don’t see how I’ll watch a game the same way.

And the sad thing is... it makes so much sense. NFL is a business, what does a business want?... money. Of course they want LA to beat New Orleans. I feel like such a fool. I should have already known it was for the money.

That my friends is why I think I’ll watch pro wrestling again. Pre determined, but they’re better and more entertaining than these sporting leagues at it...
But if you go down that rabbit hole, why would the League even allow the Saints to get that far? Why not Philadelphia Vs LA? Why would they allow them to win against them the first time to get home field? Wouldn’t a NFC Championship Game in L.A. build the fanbase? Why would the League allow the Saints to win the division?

But if you go down that rabbit hole, why would the League even allow the Saints to get that far? Why not Philadelphia Vs LA? Why would they allow them to win against them the first time to get home field? Wouldn’t a NFC Championship Game in L.A. build the fanbase? Why would the League allow the Saints to win the division?

Possibly that the saints have the best fans in the NFC south. Therefore that’s money.

I’d have to refresh the Eagles game. It went down the the wire, maybe there were some moments they tried to sway things a direction.

I don’t think every single game is manipulated... for example I’d be ok saying a lot of the regular season is what it is... but now I feel that when it’s time to continue rolling in the dollars... the league has an understanding of what they “hope” for in a game. If it’s a close game... there you go, easy to affect the outcome.

When we all watch these videos from the front few rows at the dome, where this moment happened in front of their cell phone video... there are two refs right there that the broadcast replays don’t even show... there is nothing blocking their view. It’s a no call, and there little doubt about that in my view.

I went with my instincts and what I felt when it happened... it just felt different. Yeah, we are all upset in that moment. But it felt like something bigger happened.

I am glad someone brought this topic up as I have lost my appeal for the NFL even before the 2009 season for what I thought was a rigged outcome. Yes, even the 2009 season and Superbowl.

Here is how I think its done in some fashion.

We all know that the NFL has owners that are competitive, have self pride and want to be seen as winners. We also know that the league has more owners that don't really care and are in it for the big check.

So it really comes down to a league of a few owners fighting it out. However, I believe their is an open pool at sometime that owner can pay into to guarantee them certain levels of success. If one of those money only owners needs to pull fans back in they can pay in for a year or two for a "miracle season" we see every now and then before they go back to oblivion. This pot for the competitive owners is like a blind lottery where they "bid" or pay in but have no idea what other teams are in the pool or what they are paying and this pool decides how far your team gets. There are also other factors that credit into how much you paid in such as trades and signing made to be competitive.

Here is where my theory get interesting. The saints were not suppose to win in 2009 but Sean, knowingly or unknowingly went rogue. Bounty gate was punishment for that 2009 Superbowl. Same thing goes for deflategate ... punishment after Patriots win SB.
There is nothing about your theory that is interesting, ridiculous yes interesting no.

Possibly that the saints have the best fans in the NFC south. Therefore that’s money.

I’d have to refresh the Eagles game. It went down the the wire, maybe there were some moments they tried to sway things a direction.

I don’t think every single game is manipulated... for example I’d be ok saying a lot of the regular season is what it is... but now I feel that when it’s time to continue rolling in the dollars... the league has an understanding of what they “hope” for in a game. If it’s a close game... there you go, easy to affect the outcome.

When we all watch these videos from the front few rows at the dome, where this moment happened in front of their cell phone video... there are two refs right there that the broadcast replays don’t even show... there is nothing blocking their view. It’s a no call, and there little doubt about that in my view.

I went with my instincts and what I felt when it happened... it just felt different. Yeah, we are all upset in that moment. But it felt like something bigger happened.
But my point is that so much has to happen so many people have to cooperate and too many people have to keep their mouth shut for anything like a fixed game to have a slight chance to work.
The non call was terrible. I agree. Worst call ever? Yeah. But it’s a bad non call made by a incompetent ref. Nothing more.

My statement is that the revenue increase to each of the other 31 owners from the Rams winning this Super Bowl, rather than the Rams losing the NFC championship game, is marginal--that is, relatively small.

Define marginal and I'll play...

The TV deals that run thru 2022 are valued at $54b.

thats billion.

now, ill take "marginal" in your reply to mean 5% .....thats roughly 2.7b increase. Of that, its reported teams see 50% of that in revenue. thats 1.35b.

divided among 32 teams, thats $42,187,500 in additional revenue.

That isnt even close to "marginal".

And truth be told, when 2022 arrives, the TV rights will be north of $65b total if LA is relevant.

thats a 20% increase. Do the math.

Now you see WHY LA in the Bowl is not close to "marginal". They arent worried about Feb 3 2019. Its the long game. And unitl you stop thinking about the next move, and start thinking about 10 moves ahead, you will always be behind.

But my point is that so much has to happen so many people have to cooperate and too many people have to keep their mouth shut for anything like a fixed game to have a slight chance to work.
The non call was terrible. I agree. Worst call ever? Yeah. But it’s a bad non call made by a incompetent ref. Nothing more.
From Pop Warner to the college game, a player would be ejected from a game laying that type of hit on a defenseless player. On the professional level, that’s the easiest call to make. Incompetence has nothing to do with this. You can’t just say that every official, especially the two that were right on top of the play, all suffered from incompetence at the same exact time. That’s not how that works. These officials know exactly what the play clock is, down and distance, game clock, etc. These dudes were told to swallow their whistles.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom