Contracts (whose is going up, whose is going down) (2 Viewers)

LSSpam

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Bare bones number curtousy of the NFLPA (players association), rest from news sources like ESPN.

I'll organize this better later

*Some of these numbers do NOT include pro-rated signing bonus, performance bonuses, or roster bonuses. This is strictly base pay. Performance bonuses are retroactive, ie a players cap number for 2006 includes "expected bonuses" and then if he earns those bonuses they're applied retroactively to the 2006 cap, not the 2007 cap. Roster bonuses, I don't know how I can find them. I'll include what I can find, but they are not always publicized until they become an issue.

Joe Horn (7 million signing bonus)
2006 Salary - 2,795,000 (1.125 base + 1.167 pro-rated signing bonus)
2007 Salary - 6,120,000 (4.45 base + 1.167 pro-rated signing bonus)

Charles Grant
2006 Salary - 2,187,500

Brian Young (4 million signing bonus)
2006 Salary - 2,950,000 (2.95 base + 1.0 pro-rated signing bonus)
2007 Salary - 3,450,000 (2.45 base + 1.0 pro-rated signing bonus)

Hollis Thomas
2006 Salary - 710,000

Mike McKenzie (7 million signing bonus)
2006 Salary - 3,900,000 (1.5 base + 1.0 roster bonus + 1.2 pro-rated signing bonus)
2007 Salary - 4,400,000 (2.0 base + 1.0 roster bonus + 1.2 pro-rated signing bonus)

Drew Brees (8 million signing bonus)
2006 Salary - 3,200,000 (1.9 base + 1.3 pro-rated signing bonus)
2007 Salary - 4,100,000 (2.8 base + 1.3 pro-rated signing bonus)
**There is, what is refered to as, a "12 million dollar option bonus due Spring 2007". The question is, is this a bonus which is then pro-rated over the remaining 5 years? A roster bonus all due 2007? A straight bonus, not pro-rated, that we ate this season with our available cap room? I have no clue and can't find any info. Any help would be much appreciated since right now the above figures are potentially meaningless.

Scott Fujita
2006 Salary - 1,000,000
2007 Salary - 2,000,000

Jeff Faine *Trade - No signing bonus (Cleveland ate it)
2006 Salary - 538,750
2007 Salary - 701,250

Jason Craft
2006 Salary - 1,000,000
2007 Salary - 1,000,000

Fred Thomas (5 million signing bonus)
2006 Salary - 3,150.000 (1.9 base + 1.25 pro-rated signing bonus)
2007 Salary - 3,250,000 (2.0 base + 1.25 pro-rated signing bonus)

Deuce McAllister (7 million signing bonus)
2006 Salary - 3,825,000 (1.45 base + 1.5 roster bonus + .875 pro-rated signing bonus)
2007 Salary - 3,475,000 (2.6 base + .875 pro-rated signing bonus)
**There is another one of those vague "option bonus" for Deuce in 2006 worth 4 million. Fourtantly this one is less of an issue then for Brees. If it was like a roster bonus and not pro-rated, then it counts against this years cap and is gone. If it's a pro-rated bonus then it's only an extra 550,000 a year. It's main impact then would be in terms of being able to cut/trade him because of the number accelerating into 1 year.

Mark Simoneau *Trade - No signing bonus (Philly ate it)
2006 Salary - 1,100,000
2007 Salary - 950,000

Aaron Stecker (650k signing bonus)
2006 Salary - 1,162,000 (1.0 base + .162 pro-rated signing bonus)
2007 Salary - 1,412,000 (1.0 base + .162 pro-rated signing bonus)

Ernie Conwell
2006 Salary - 1,600,000
2007 Salary - 1,900,000

Josh Bullocks
2006 Salary - 350,000
2007 Salary - 385,000

Mark Campbell
2006 Salary - 600,000
2007 Salary - 950,000

Willie Whitehead
2006 Salary - 965,000
2007 Salary - 1,100,000

Jamar Nesbit
2006 Salary - 710,000
2007 Salary - 950,000

Michael Lewis
2006 Salary - 600,000
2007 Salary - 900,000

Just some I found interesting.

Thoughts

-Ernie Conwell will be gone next season.

-Aaron Stecker may find himself on the bubble.

-Mike McKenzie's base pay is much less then I thought it was. I was wrong (have to account for bonuses still though)

-Fred Thomas makes more the McKenzie in base pay (I do remember Thomas had a pretty small signing bonus though)

-Faine is suprisingly cheap. And since the Browns had to eat his whole signing bonus when they traded him, that's Faine's total price.

-I was wrong about Horn as well. I thought his contract escalated this season, not next.

Last edited:
Brian Young is one of the highest paid DT in the league and has been seeing the field less each week. I think he will be gone after this season. Fred Thomas could go any where. He could be cut depending on who we bring in or draft, he could re-sign effectively reworking his contract or he could just stay the same. We should also give thought to locking up Will Smith and J. Brown before too long.

Horn is also another interesting player to watch. He had his new contract backloaded pretty heavy. He is still a good WR but it will be hard to keep Devery on the sidelines and pay Horn the huge numbers. I hope Horn is willing to restructure his deal to something a little more cap friendly. The last thing I want to see from Horn is his contract or play holding this team back much like Rod Smith is doing in Denver. There is no doubt that both can still play but it is not good for the team when a younger guy is riding the pine in favor of a fan favorite making 10 times the money.

Now the base salary is not nearly enough to gauge how much money the players are making or counting against the cap. Wish there was a site that would give you all the info.

Brian Young is one of the highest paid DT in the league and has been seeing the field less each week. I think he will be gone after this season. Fred Thomas could go any where. He could be cut depending on who we bring in or draft, he could re-sign effectively reworking his contract or he could just stay the same. We should also give thought to locking up Will Smith and J. Brown before too long.

Brown is signed until 2011 although the last year of a rookie contract is typically an option year. Smith is signed until 2009 (again, last year is probably an option year). We may not re-sign Smith this season but we almost certainly will the end of next season.

Brian Young is not one of the highest paid DTs in the league, i'll flesh out his contract in a second. 2.5 mill is high for him, but that can be reworked.

Freddie T will probably rework his. Since he has such a small bonus, there's no risk. He'd still be "cuttable". It's the guys with huge bonuses you worry about reworking deals with (because further inflating the bonus makes it even worse to possibly cut them).

Horn is also another interesting player to watch. He had his new contract backloaded pretty heavy. He is still a good WR but it will be hard to keep Devery on the sidelines and pay Horn the huge numbers. I hope Horn is willing to restructure his deal to something a little more cap friendly. The last thing I want to see from Horn is his contract or play holding this team back much like Rod Smith is doing in Denver. There is no doubt that both can still play but it is not good for the team when a younger guy is riding the pine in favor of a fan favorite making 10 times the money.

Horn I think will have to take a straight up pay cut, looking at the numbers. His signing bonus isn't outragous, but it's enough considering Horn's age they can't tack on another 3 million or so by converting part of his base to bonus. He'll have to reduce his base pay.

Fourtantly, I think Horn may do that.

Now the base salary is not nearly enough to gauge how much money the players are making or counting against the cap. Wish there was a site that would give you all the info.

I'm working on it. I have to search for news reports of the contracts to find it, but I got good detailed info on McKenzie up as well as updating Freddie T and Horns numbers

Jesus Faine is a steal at that price.

He's signed through 2009, though, again, he's still under his rookie contract and so the last year is likely an option year. Nonetheless, he's still safe for 2007 and 2008 (863,750 in 2008).

Many players, including Deuce, updated.

I guess i'll just add on to this over the next few weeks so that by the off-season we have a complete picture of everyones cap numbers

PS - Anyone who wants to help by finding me contract details would get a gold star in my book

Another concern is Colston holding out for more money.

Is there a way to find out the penalties against the cap? With as much turnover as we had last year including the releasing of several high paid players like AB, Gandy, D. Smith and Jacox.

Is there a way to find out the penalties against the cap? With as much turnover as we had last year including the releasing of several high paid players like AB, Gandy, D. Smith and Jacox.

Well all of the players we released last season counted against this seasons cap with exception to Mayberry and D. Smith I think (who will count against next seasons cap). We didn't release anyone after June 1st that I can remember (you can probably correct me on that bclemms).

fujitia

he signed a 4yr deal not a 2 yr deal. he is under contract until 2010

I'm not positive but didn't we wait until after June 1st to release AB?

Nevermind. We released him long before June 1st.

I'm not positive but didn't we wait until after June 1st to release AB?

Nevermind. We released him long before June 1st.

No we released him as early as March, pretty much when we signed Drew Brees.

I remember at the time there was discussion on the board about how we should have "held on to him" so we could "trade him"....as if anyone was going to trade for him :rolleyes:

Gandy may have been after June 1st, let me look. No we traded him pre-draft as well, that's right. Made me hopeful we'd get D'Brick :(

Another concern is Colston holding out for more money.

Rookie contracts are non-negotiable for the first 2-3 years I thought? So we dont have to even worry about extending or re-nogotiating Colston til late next year or even the year after.

Rookie contracts are non-negotiable for the first 2-3 years I thought? So we dont have to even worry about extending or re-nogotiating Colston til late next year or even the year after.

3 years. At 3 years he's elgible to be a restricted Free Agent. At 4 he can become an unrestricted FA. He'll be resigned before then, maybe this offseason, if not, then the 2007 offseason most definantly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom