Controversial music takes (2 Viewers)

No, I actually do believe that. That album was transitional - the band was moving from 70s art rock/fusion Bay area band to international supergroup led by Steve Perry. His first album as singer (and he didn't sing lead on every track) was Infinity (1978) and I just think that era is when they were at their best - they were still really musically oriented and while moving to what would become their immensely successful early 80s sound, they weren't really there yet.

I like a few of those 80s tracks but Infinity and Evolution (1979) are just better to me. And I think out of those two records combined, the pair of "Feeling that Way/Anytime" (often played together on classic rock radio) best capture the band's capabilities in that era. It's a big sounding production (their new producer had worked with Boston), and while Perry's vocals are there, they aren't as heavily featured in favor of a more layered, multi-voice band vocal. Guitars are featured more than synth. I just prefer it to anything they did after.
I picture you wearing a plastic poncho when you do one of these

Can't stand Pearl Jam. Just sounds like that guy is yelling into the mic.

Reminds me of now-defunct Spy magazine's description of opera: "Genetic mutants baying at the walls."

Agree. Alternative challenged mainstream or otherwise established sonic landscapes. Most grunge was a certain veneer on what was otherwise mainstream rock or hard rock. “Alt-rock” was an ascendant marketing label that network radio and MTV commandeered to sell things to young, mostly white audiences fed up with top 40 and looking for a classic rock of their own.

Mass-consumption “alt” acts like Radiohead, Beck, and RHCP were probably more alt than Pearl Jam, STP, Alice, and Soundgarden. Their records were more divergent, more “alternative” to mainstream/established songs/sounds. Nirvana being the exception of course - they’re unique IMO.

That’s not to say that Pearl Jam, STP, Alice, and Soundgarden didn’t have their moments - they made some great albums. Some really quality rock stuff. I’m talking more about the idea that they somehow embody “alt-rock” - they don’t. I’m with you on that.
rhcp before bssm, almost including bssm, were so much better with the heavier funk inspired songs.

Not controversial - quite factual
But interesting nonetheless
The 2 greatest songwriters are Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen
There is no cover of a Tom Waits song better than the original
Every cover of a Leonard Cohen song is better than the original
Even odder, LC’s voice is more...pleasant? than TW’s

Not controversial - quite factual
But interesting nonetheless
The 2 greatest songwriters are Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen
There is no cover of a Tom Waits song better than the original
Every cover of a Leonard Cohen song is better than the original
Even odder, LC’s voice is more...pleasant? than TW’s
Its not better than TW's version, but Ramone's cover of "I don't Want to Grow Up" is really good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom