Controversial music takes (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Maybe get something off your chest? Maybe end up in a fight?

I'll start.

I like Jane's Addiction. A lot. I can still listen to their albums - they're killer. But "Jane Says" is a lame song. Don't ever need to hear it again.

Mamba

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Alternative Rock. That's what they all were...

If anything, Nirvana was a bit more punk rock. Smashing Pumpkins is probably a bit closer to Punk at times too, but Alternative fits the bill.
The punk influence on Nirvana is well-documented and unmistakable (especially on Bleach)

But I don’t see any punk connection to the Smashing Pumpkins. I was a huge fan in my younger days, and I can’t think of any of their songs that sound remotely punk-ish.

antipop

Get egg hunts
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The day I learned Kenny Rogers didn’t write The Gambler was worse than the day I learned Santa Clause wasn’t real.
speaking of country music, Garth Brooks singlehandedly destroyed country music. I don’t know if that’s controversial but it’s true

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
speaking of country music, Garth Brooks singlehandedly destroyed country music. I don’t know if that’s controversial but it’s true

I’m not sure if that’s controversial or true, it might be.... but i do know for a fact that i generally cant stand country music since around 1990, when Brooks came to prominence - whereas i actually like some ‘old school’ country from the 70s and 80s, primarily Kenny, Dolly, Ronnie Milsap and pretty much the entire Urban Cowboy soundtrack... Country music these days is mainly a bunch of 40 year old guys singing about high school parties.

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I think someone already mentioned ACDC so I'll go with someone else, Tool. I think their music is good but I find it hard to even want to finish an album. The songs all have the same arrangements similar to ACDC. I mentioned in the Tool thread that I played all of their songs on the newest album at the same time(well I start with the longest song and play the others to where they all end at the same time) and besides the singing being off the music flows like it was on purpose. In fact I'd rather listen to that version over the actual album.

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
Maybe get something off your chest? Maybe end up in a fight?

I'll start.

I like Jane's Addiction. A lot. I can still listen to their albums - they're killer. But "Jane Says" is a lame song. Don't ever need to hear it again.
That's not controversial.

Marty_Graw

Don't Rain on My Parade
Reaction score
But isn't that the conundrum that all bands face? People like your record, so you make a similar sounding record and people complain that it sounds just like the previous record. So then, for your third record, you do something different and people complain that it doesn't sound like what they were originally drawn too and then they move on to something else.

Mamba

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
But isn't that the conundrum that all bands face? People like your record, so you make a similar sounding record and people complain that it sounds just like the previous record. So then, for your third record, you do something different and people complain that it doesn't sound like what they were originally drawn too and then they move on to something else.
Good point. I guess it's just a matter of whether or not the new record is crappy. Pink Floyd's albums all seem to have a distinct flavor to them, and yet the quality is fairly consistent (and excellent, IMO).

I guess another thing with the Foo Fighters is that there are no real phenomenal musicians in their lineup. The Floyd had Gilmour, Zeppelin had Page (& Bonham), GNR had Slash, RATM had Morello, etc. The Foo Fighters may not have any weak links, but there's no one who musically takes them to a different level. And I think Grohl is a much better drummer than guitarist.

jasonsw

Swimmer is my friend
Reaction score
I think Yoko Ono is a talented artist. Unfortunately her voice couldn't match her talents.

jasonsw

Swimmer is my friend
Reaction score
Good point. I guess it's just a matter of whether or not the new record is crappy. Pink Floyd's albums all seem to have a distinct flavor to them, and yet the quality is fairly consistent (and excellent, IMO).

I guess another thing with the Foo Fighters is that there are no real phenomenal musicians in their lineup. The Floyd had Gilmour, Zeppelin had Page (& Bonham), GNR had Slash, RATM had Morello, etc. The Foo Fighters may not have any weak links, but there's no one who musically takes them to a different level. And I think Grohl is a much better drummer than guitarist.
Trucker Guy was awesome. Awesomely bad with his takes. Read your post and thanks for making him disappear

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bill Everything Else Board 51

Headlines

Top Bottom