Controversial music takes (2 Viewers)

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Maybe get something off your chest? Maybe end up in a fight?

I'll start.

I like Jane's Addiction. A lot. I can still listen to their albums - they're killer. But "Jane Says" is a lame song. Don't ever need to hear it again.

saintmdterps

musharain dum-a-doo dum-a-da
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Red Hot Chili Peppers are the single most overrated thing in life. Not just bands but all of life.
Not the peppers, those can be awesome. But the thing that is the over rated band.

over rated. Cannot be overstated

overrated
RHCP and The Beastie Boys. The Beastie Boys were nothing more than frat boy rock in the mid-80's, they suck.

Completely overrated & get into the Rock & Roll HOF ahead of:

Deep Purple
Dire Straits
Joan Jett
Jethro Tull
Def Leppard
Rush

RRHOF is a joke, & I hate the Beastie Boys.

Maroon 5 sucks worse than the Beastie Boys, and Adam Levine sings like a whiny *****. He was told not to sing breathy and nasally at the Superbowl. He went and did so anyway (but does he have any other way?) so Maroon 5 set the bottom for all Superbowl halftime shows which in itself is saying something because SB halftime shows are an arsenal of suck.

Last edited:

saintmdterps

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The only reason I ever listened to RHCP was because of Flea and Chad Smith. Chad Smith is a very good drummer and one of my influences. Admittedly, I never owned an RHCP album past Blood Sugar Sex Magic.
My last RHCP album was Mother's Milk. I had hopes after Higher Ground, but I see that song as RHCP's high-water mark. Get it? Higher Ground = high-water mark??

Ok, bye.

:ezbill:

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
RHCP and The Beastie Boys. The Beastie Boys were nothing more than frat boy rock in the mid-80's, they suck.

Deep Purple
Dire Straits
Joan Jett
Jethro Tull
Def Leppard
Rush

cast in that light its pretty hard to say they are not overrated. Or that those other bands are grossly underrated. I have no problem saying that and I listened to that crap in the day :ROFLMAO:

saintmdterps

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I can’t stand Bruce Springsteen. Maybe that makes me unAmerican.

And what about the voice of Geddy Lee? How did it get so high? Do you think he talks like an ordinary guy?
Springsteen's lyrics are not pro-USA, so you aren't unAmerican :hihi:

Geddy Lee has a pretty normal speaking voice

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Deep Purple
Dire Straits
Joan Jett
Jethro Tull
Def Leppard
Rush

It’s entirely possible you are not quite sure what “controversial “ means
It does not mean ‘be the wrongest guy on wrong day’

saintmdterps

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It’s entirely possible you are not quite sure what “controversial “ means
It does not mean ‘be the wrongest guy on wrong day’
Maroon 5 and the Beastie Boys both blow. Reiterating one’s point always lends validity to that point, especially if that point is controversial:hihi:

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Deep Purple
Dire Straits
Joan Jett
Jethro Tull
Def Leppard
Rush

It’s all so subjective... i kinda think the RHCP are properly rated; theyre not some great American band, yet i like some of their stuff.. i dont know too many people who think that the RHCP are the greatest thing since peanut butter, but maybe we run in different circles.

As for the Beastie Boys- i gotta disagree with you.. to me, they are one of the greatest acts to come out of the last 20 years of the 1900s.. If for no other reason than the License to Ill album, and the fact that we hadn’t seen anything else remotely like them: a white hip-hop/rap act comprised of three Jews?? I mean, like them or not- at least they were original (not suggesting they didnt rip off black acts that came before them, but everyone in music steals from everyone else.)

Jethro Tull sucks the big one... i dont know enough about Deep Purple to comment intelligently ... But do ya think Joan Jett really belongs in the Hall of Fame? You might have a point with Def Leppard though; I didn’t realize they weren’t already in the Hall.

Again, very subjective... The only thing that’s not subjective, and is empirically true- is that John Lennon was amazing.

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
Jethro Tull has some great songs but they lose something if you have to look at Ian Anderson while listening.

OP
OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Jethro Tull has some great songs but they lose something if you have to look at Ian Anderson while listening.
I just can’t come around to accepting that flute is a rock and roll instrument.

I can look past it on like three songs. If I have to.

saintmdterps

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It’s all so subjective... i kinda think the RHCP are properly rated; theyre not some great American band, yet i like some of their stuff.. i dont know too many people who think that the RHCP are the greatest thing since peanut butter, but maybe we run in different circles.

As for the Beastie Boys- i gotta disagree with you.. to me, they are one of the greatest acts to come out of the last 20 years of the 1900s.. If for no other reason than the License to Ill album, and the fact that we hadn’t seen anything else remotely like them: a white hip-hop/rap act comprised of three Jews?? I mean, like them or not- at least they were original (not suggesting they didnt rip off black acts that came before them, but everyone in music steals from everyone else.)

Jethro Tull sucks the big one... i dont know enough about Deep Purple to comment intelligently ... But do ya think Joan Jett really belongs in the Hall of Fame? You might have a point with Def Leppard though; I didn’t realize they weren’t already in the Hall.

Again, very subjective... The only thing that’s not subjective, and is empirically true- is that John Lennon was amazing.
All six of the acts I mentioned should have been in before the Beastie Boys. Jethro Tull and Joan Jett were trailblazers in their own right, and the rest have very substantial bodies of work.

Putting the Beastie Boys in on the strength of one album is like putting an nfl player in Canton because he has one monster year.

John Lennon is amazing ?

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
All six of the acts I mentioned should have been in before the Beastie Boys. Jethro Tull and Joan Jett were trailblazers in their own right, and the rest have very substantial bodies of work.

Putting the Beastie Boys in on the strength of one album is like putting an nfl player in Canton because he has one monster year.

John Lennon is amazing ?
agreed on all points. But then the Rock and Roll hall off game is so subjective that I have never even payed attention to it. There are artists that I would assume are there but I would not bother to look. You like what you like.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bill Everything Else Board 51
Krodwhodat Everything Else Board 17

Headlines

Top Bottom