Controversial music takes (8 Viewers)

Yessir! An actual hot take! Well done.

The lyrics of 'Imagine' basically describe life in a gulag.

Yeah but he also wrote Why Don’t We Do It in the Road - so they sort of cancel each other out.

Norwegian Wood lyrics are pretty fantastic.

I'll drop two bombs. I despise Elvis and Led Zeppelin. Not only are both are enormously over-rated, they also stole the vast majority of their music from talented black bluesmen who never got any credit. Both pretended their music was their own when most of it wasn't just "inspired" by those blues riffs, but straight out plagiarized.

Elvis had a decent singing voice, but he was an obnoxious self-absorbed jerk (and, yes, I know a great many rock stars are guilty of that) and just not anywhere near as talented as he thought he was. And he did NOT invent rockabilly despite claims by some of his fans.

As for Zeppelin, Page was a good guitar player, but decidedly not elite like so many people seem to think. I can't stand Robert Plant's scraping voice and Bonham was just another drummer. And, again, a lot of stolen music turned into incredibly BORING songs. I have a list of what I consider the 10 most boring rock songs ever written. Zeppelin has three songs on that list: Dazed and Confused, Kashmir, and Stairway. If I never hear any of them again, it will be too soon.

I'm sure I just ticked off a lot of people, so I hope I have been true to your original intent, superchuck. :ezbill:

EDIT: Just noticed that antipop agrees with me on Zeppelin.
My outrage over your Zeppelin comments are balanced by my acceptance/agreement of your Elvis comments.

Last edited:
Yeah but he also wrote Why Don’t We Do It in the Road - so they sort of cancel each other out.

Norwegian Wood lyrics are pretty fantastic.

Strawberry Fields

Don’t Let Me Down

A Day in the Life

Jealous Guy

The Ballad of John and Yoko

In My Life

.. the list is endless.

Yeah I know. I don't do acid so I don't really get their music, but luckily there is usually something else on the radio when Pink Floyd comes on Classic Vinyl or Classic Rewind.

Nor do I, but surely I'm able to recognize the genius that is Pink Floyd...you certainly have a right to your opinion (misguided as it is :)....but seriously I think this is the first time I've ever heard someone calling Pink Floyd's music uninteresting....mind you, i'm sure there are others that feel this way, just not many....

I'm with you in that respect though (the vast minority), I think GNR absolutely sucks as a band....not a popular opinion really....

Elvis had a decent singing voice, but he was an obnoxious self-absorbed jerk (and, yes, I know a great many rock stars are guilty of that) and just not anywhere near as talented as he thought he was. And he did NOT invent rockabilly despite claims by some of his fans.

Totally agreed, Chuck Barry had more talent in his little finger than Elvis did...in...like...his....entire....like...body....

I loved John Lennon and McCartney but the most talented Beatle IMO was George Harrison....

.Metallica too, to a lesser extent....

Agree

>>Pink Floyd? Really? Blasphomous!!!!!!

Yeah I know. I don't do acid so I don't really get their music, but luckily there is usually something else on the radio when Pink Floyd comes on Classic Vinyl or Classic Rewind.

I like Pink Floyd OK, but acid doesn't really help.

Also, other than the classics (Miles Davis, Coltrane, Armstrong, etc) jazz music generally sucks.

In fairness to KISS, they were never that good at singing and playing.
I grew past them when I saw them at the Chicago Stadium for my seventh birthday in 1978.

They are the perfect example of the saying "if you can't play well, play loud."

I grew past them when I saw them at the Chicago Stadium for my seventh birthday in 1978.

They are the perfect example of the saying "if you can't play well, play loud."

when we recently were discussing first concerts in the air supply thread, I almost said they were my first because I didn’t remember the Starship concert (go figure it was forgettable). Anyway a friend twisted my arm to go to the Unmasked tour. I wasn’t a fan but he had nobody to go with. The one thing I can say about that concert is it was loud.

it was loud and.... yea.

I don’t really like metal. It insists upon itself.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom