Controversial music takes (3 Viewers)

Maybe get something off your chest? Maybe end up in a fight?

I'll start.

I like Jane's Addiction. A lot. I can still listen to their albums - they're killer. But "Jane Says" is a lame song. Don't ever need to hear it again.
That's not controversial.

But isn't that the conundrum that all bands face? People like your record, so you make a similar sounding record and people complain that it sounds just like the previous record. So then, for your third record, you do something different and people complain that it doesn't sound like what they were originally drawn too and then they move on to something else.

But isn't that the conundrum that all bands face? People like your record, so you make a similar sounding record and people complain that it sounds just like the previous record. So then, for your third record, you do something different and people complain that it doesn't sound like what they were originally drawn too and then they move on to something else.
Good point. I guess it's just a matter of whether or not the new record is crappy. Pink Floyd's albums all seem to have a distinct flavor to them, and yet the quality is fairly consistent (and excellent, IMO).

I guess another thing with the Foo Fighters is that there are no real phenomenal musicians in their lineup. The Floyd had Gilmour, Zeppelin had Page (& Bonham), GNR had Slash, RATM had Morello, etc. The Foo Fighters may not have any weak links, but there's no one who musically takes them to a different level. And I think Grohl is a much better drummer than guitarist.

I think Yoko Ono is a talented artist. Unfortunately her voice couldn't match her talents.

Good point. I guess it's just a matter of whether or not the new record is crappy. Pink Floyd's albums all seem to have a distinct flavor to them, and yet the quality is fairly consistent (and excellent, IMO).

I guess another thing with the Foo Fighters is that there are no real phenomenal musicians in their lineup. The Floyd had Gilmour, Zeppelin had Page (& Bonham), GNR had Slash, RATM had Morello, etc. The Foo Fighters may not have any weak links, but there's no one who musically takes them to a different level. And I think Grohl is a much better drummer than guitarist.
Trucker Guy was awesome. Awesomely bad with his takes. Read your post and thanks for making him disappear

Red Hot Chili Peppers are the single most overrated thing in life. Not just bands but all of life.
Not the peppers, those can be awesome. But the thing that is the over rated band.

over rated. Cannot be overstated

overrated
RHCP and The Beastie Boys. The Beastie Boys were nothing more than frat boy rock in the mid-80's, they suck.

Completely overrated & get into the Rock & Roll HOF ahead of:

Deep Purple
Dire Straits
Joan Jett
Jethro Tull
Def Leppard
Rush

RRHOF is a joke, & I hate the Beastie Boys.

Maroon 5 sucks worse than the Beastie Boys, and Adam Levine sings like a whiny *****. He was told not to sing breathy and nasally at the Superbowl. He went and did so anyway (but does he have any other way?) so Maroon 5 set the bottom for all Superbowl halftime shows which in itself is saying something because SB halftime shows are an arsenal of suck.

Last edited:
The only reason I ever listened to RHCP was because of Flea and Chad Smith. Chad Smith is a very good drummer and one of my influences. Admittedly, I never owned an RHCP album past Blood Sugar Sex Magic.
My last RHCP album was Mother's Milk. I had hopes after Higher Ground, but I see that song as RHCP's high-water mark. Get it? Higher Ground = high-water mark??

Ok, bye.

:ezbill:

RHCP and The Beastie Boys. The Beastie Boys were nothing more than frat boy rock in the mid-80's, they suck.

Deep Purple
Dire Straits
Joan Jett
Jethro Tull
Def Leppard
Rush

cast in that light its pretty hard to say they are not overrated. Or that those other bands are grossly underrated. I have no problem saying that and I listened to that crap in the day :ROFLMAO:

I can’t stand Bruce Springsteen. Maybe that makes me unAmerican.

And what about the voice of Geddy Lee? How did it get so high? Do you think he talks like an ordinary guy?
Springsteen's lyrics are not pro-USA, so you aren't unAmerican :hihi:

Geddy Lee has a pretty normal speaking voice

Deep Purple
Dire Straits
Joan Jett
Jethro Tull
Def Leppard
Rush

It’s entirely possible you are not quite sure what “controversial “ means
It does not mean ‘be the wrongest guy on wrong day’

It’s entirely possible you are not quite sure what “controversial “ means
It does not mean ‘be the wrongest guy on wrong day’
Maroon 5 and the Beastie Boys both blow. Reiterating one’s point always lends validity to that point, especially if that point is controversial:hihi:

Deep Purple
Dire Straits
Joan Jett
Jethro Tull
Def Leppard
Rush

It’s all so subjective... i kinda think the RHCP are properly rated; theyre not some great American band, yet i like some of their stuff.. i dont know too many people who think that the RHCP are the greatest thing since peanut butter, but maybe we run in different circles.

As for the Beastie Boys- i gotta disagree with you.. to me, they are one of the greatest acts to come out of the last 20 years of the 1900s.. If for no other reason than the License to Ill album, and the fact that we hadn’t seen anything else remotely like them: a white hip-hop/rap act comprised of three Jews?? I mean, like them or not- at least they were original (not suggesting they didnt rip off black acts that came before them, but everyone in music steals from everyone else.)

Jethro Tull sucks the big one... i dont know enough about Deep Purple to comment intelligently ... But do ya think Joan Jett really belongs in the Hall of Fame? You might have a point with Def Leppard though; I didn’t realize they weren’t already in the Hall.

Again, very subjective... The only thing that’s not subjective, and is empirically true- is that John Lennon was amazing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom