Controversial music takes (2 Viewers)

So y'all are gonna go with two white guys from Texas doing Jimi Hendrix impressions?

:hihi:

So y'all are gonna go with two white guys from Texas doing Jimi Hendrix impressions?

While I appreciate and respect the work of the Gibbons Bros and SRV, I'd have to put Brian Setzer ahead of them. I'm sure the Vai, Satriani, Malmstein and Di Meola supporters will chime in, but some of the work that Setzer did with the BSO was just amazing.

(and the Beatles are still overrated)

While I appreciate and respect the work of the Gibbons Bros and SRV, I'd have to put Brian Setzer ahead of them. I'm sure the Vai, Satriani, Malmstein and Di Meola supporters will chime in, but some of the work that Setzer did with the BSO was just amazing.

(and the Beatles are still overrated)

Ah, the old who is the best guitar player ruse, always unsatisfying....I think because we all have our own definition of "best" in the 1st place....

My definition of best is a combination of technical ability/style and the ability to play multiple different genres of music well....

So yeah, DiMeola, Steve Morse, Paco de Lucia (wait, he doesn't play multiple genres well, I already broke my own rule of best....see...unsatisfying), oh and Derek Trucks, Duane Allman, the aforementioned SRV, Hendrix, David Gilmore....so many favorites.....

Hot takes...

80's Rush > 70's Rush

Blues > Jazz
Rush take = obviously

Blues v Jazz is an interesting apples v orange take
bc of blues’ structure and ‘simplicity’ it requires style and emotion to be impactful
The huge umbrella that hangs over jazz allows for some god awful music
But the best jazz is really some of the best music ever written

Hendrix picked a young Billy Gibbons to open for him on tour. And Billy's had almost 50 years of practice since then. So yes, for today. If nothing else, he's never mentioned in these arguments as much as he should be because the Top isn't for everyone.

But if someone wants to say Jimi was the best ever, I got no beef.

Look, "best ever" is a matter of taste and opinion, you have to throw in virtuosos like Satriani and Mahavishnu John McGlocklin, and guys like Vauhgn, and there's always Clapton, and meanwhile Duane Allman, who made Layla, etc. etc.

I put Vaughn in the virtuoso category -- a fine instrumentalist and technician, with more than his share of flair, but for me, pas mal, mais n'est-ce pa la guerre.

There's a guy I left out who might have the highest overall score in "technical ability," "playing flair," and "cohesive rock/pop/anthem song writing", and that would be Carlos Santana, but that's just part of the fun.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom