• 15 Oasis.
  • 14 Phish.
  • 13 purseycat Dolls.
  • 12 Hootie & The Blowfish.
  • 11 The Eagles.
  • 10 Dave Matthews Band.
  • 9 Creed.
  • 8 Limp Bizkit........."

Outside of The Eagles, are any of those bands actually legendary? For instance, I think only the Gallagher brothers consider Oasis legendary.

That being said, yes, all of those bands suck.

Oh man.....I was with that list until Creed. Not sure why they get no respect but I like their music. Same goes for Nickelback....people hate those guys but I really like their stuff

It's suppose to be controversial, meaning that many won't agree. I didn't like the swipe on Sex Pistols, Sublime, and Blink 182, but I think their comments are valid.

Outside of The Eagles, are any of those bands actually legendary? For instance, I think only the Gallagher brothers consider Oasis legendary.

They are not legendary to say you and I, but to other people they could be. This guy from my old job had a tattoo of the Dave Mathews Band, and he went on and on how he liked the band. He actually showed me his tattoo and talked about it with infatuation. Did he ever ask what my opinion was? No, so I never told him, which is a good thing. lol

Just Curious, what is your criteria for "legendary"?
Never was a huge fan of the Eagles, but I wouldn't say they sucked. Oasis was just an overhyped annoyance.

Parklife (not Song 2) is Blur’s greatest song. Come to think of it, in the last 30 years, Blur is probably one of the best bands to make it (or not make it) across the pond. I’ll take Blur over The Gorillaz any day.

Also, Mike Skinner and The Streets aren’t bad.
People say they are bad, but they aren’t bad.

Also, NOFX> Rancid.

Also, NOFX> Rancid.

Agreed on NOFX>Rancid. Rancid was more gutter punk, and NOFX was more skater/surf punk. Both have good songs, but NOFX had more and did more. Tim Armstrong has some good songs from other bands he formed. Fat Mike is a character, it's as simple as that. I like how he had Kim Shattuck sing a portion of the Lori Meyers' song.

I never seen NOFX live, which was a little bit of a disappointment. Tried to see them in Honolulu one time, but they were sold out. It was disappointing. I seen the Sex Pistols (well, at least what was left of them) one time, but it was at huge event, and let's just say, by the time they came on stage, the day was pretty much done. The people thought it was time to set the place on fire, by the time they played. Pretty eventful day overall. lol

Last edited:
My first concert was Lallapalooza with the Ramones, Rancid, Metallica, Rage, Sponge, etc, and a few years later I went to the Warped Tour with Bad Religion, NOFX, Rancid, The Specials, and others.

The best one love was BR, but NOFX put a lot more into their show than the other acts. Funny story, they threw money into the crowd on account of the show being moved from the outside to inside the Astrodome (because it was too hot outside) and they were set up to play outdoors, and their sound was off. They had MxPx and the Aquabats throw money into the crowd and Fat Mike says “we have some guys in funny outfits throwing money, and it’s real money, and you can trust the guys throwing it because they are Mormon.”

i like inxs. not sure how to categorize them. kind like punk influenced new wave?

foo fighters and dave grohl sound like arse.

My first concert was Lallapalooza with the Ramones, Rancid, Metallica, Rage, Sponge, etc, and a few years later I went to the Warped Tour with Bad Religion, NOFX, Rancid, The Specials, and others.

The best one love was BR, but NOFX put a lot more into their show than the other acts. Funny story, they threw money into the crowd on account of the show being moved from the outside to inside the Astrodome (because it was too hot outside) and they were set up to play outdoors, and their sound was off. They had MxPx and the Aquabats throw money into the crowd and Fat Mike says “we have some guys in funny outfits throwing money, and it’s real money, and you can trust the guys throwing it because they are Mormon.”
my 1st concert was Zebra at St Dominics CYO

yup

i like inxs. not sure how to categorize them. kind like punk influenced new wave?

Couldn't agree with you more on the food fighters.

Bad Religion will probably go down as the best punk band of all time, but that is for time to decide. Fat Mike is a trouble maker, but everyone has a soft spot for trouble makers. I think the Aquabats were mormon, but not MxPx. MxPx is horrible, but I liked them back in the late 90's.

Last edited:

I told my wife this last night, and I think it qualifies.

Foo Fighters these days are considered a Gen X alt rock legend. However, they mostly sort of defaulted into that slot due to everyone else breaking up and/or dying.

The original tier 1 of Alt Rock was Nirvana, PJ, Soundgarden, AIC, and STP. Back when alt rock was actually happening, Foo Fighters were a very clear tier 2 band, and were never considered to be peers to that upper tier that I just mentioned.

It just happens that they eventually earned it via attrition, as it's only them and Pearl Jam (top 1 [tm]) still around.

PS - I love Foo Fighters, so this isn't meant as a shot at them. Just an observation.

I told my wife this last night, and I think it qualifies.

Foo Fighters these days are considered a Gen X alt rock legend. However, they mostly sort of defaulted into that slot due to everyone else breaking up and/or dying.

The original tier 1 of Alt Rock was Nirvana, PJ, Soundgarden, AIC, and STP. Back when alt rock was actually happening, Foo Fighters were a very clear tier 2 band, and were never considered to be peers to that upper tier that I just mentioned.

It just happens that they eventually earned it via attrition, as it's only them and Pearl Jam still around.

PS - I love Foo Fighters, so this isn't meant as a shot at them. Just an observation.

Point of order: "alt-rock" and Seattle grunge are not synonymous. Grunge is a sub-genre of alt-rock, but there are others. Grunge dominated for a period of a few years and the top bands deserve their place - particularly Nirvana for their originality and inspiration, and Pearl Jam as sort of being the most prolific while retaining quality.

But there are other legendary alt-rock bands of the 1990s that you would never include in the same discussion that puts the grunge bands in tiers (e.g. Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Jane's, Pixies, Green Day).

Personally I don't consider Foo Fighters to be grunge - they're really more post-grunge where the various strands of alt-rock became more homogenized for mainstream radio and video consumption - unfortunately. But in that history, I would consider Foo Fighters to be a top act. Their first three albums (2 and 3 especially) hold up to just about anybody in the decade in the broad, rock/alt-rock genre - differentiating is really more about style than quality IMO.

Point of order: "alt-rock" and Seattle grunge are not synonymous. Grunge is a sub-genre of alt-rock, but there are others. Grunge dominated for a period of a few years and the top bands deserve their place - particularly Nirvana for their originality and inspiration, and Pearl Jam as sort of being the most prolific while retaining quality.

But there are other legendary alt-rock bands of the 1990s that you would never include in the same discussion that puts the grunge bands in tiers (e.g. Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Jane's, Pixies, Green Day).

Personally I don't consider Foo Fighters to be grunge - they're really more post-grunge where the various strands of alt-rock became more homogenized for mainstream radio and video consumption - unfortunately. But in that history, I would consider Foo Fighters to be a top act. Their first three albums (2 and 3 especially) hold up to just about anybody in the decade in the broad, rock/alt-rock genre - differentiating is really more about style than quality IMO.

Maybe. But they did co-exist for the back half of the success of Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc. But sure, if you're talking the rock bands that orbited grunge to some extent but weren't the "heart" of it (Tool, Radiohead, etc.) then yeah, Foo Fighters is up there.

But I do see them get lumped in with Seattle/Grunge, which you correctly said is not synonymous with Alternative, but it is its purest and best form.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom