Convince me to buy an iPhone again dammit! (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
With the new Saintsreport addition to the iPhone and some stellar gaming and app choices, I have been debating on going back to the iPhone.

If I do:

I can no longer receive my email immediately as I do on the Blackberry (have to manually check the website).

My internet goes up by $5 a month to $40 unlimited as I am on a grandfathered BB plan right now.

I am limited by Apple's greedy freaking "no expandable media slot" tactic to make you purchase a new one every year or so to fit all the shat you want on it.

I will have The Mongoose saying "told you so" with childish glee.

I have to re-teach myself the unlock process and deal with Cydia and jailbreaking and whatnot. I don't even remember the websites I went to when I did all that 2 years ago. I've unlocked 2 iphones in the past.

What should I do good people of the Tech board? I need your advise.

With the new Saintsreport addition to the iPhone and some stellar gaming and app choices, I have been debating on going back to the iPhone.

If I do:

1) I can no longer receive my email immediately as I do on the Blackberry (have to manually check the website).

2) My internet goes up by $5 a month to $40 unlimited as I am on a grandfathered BB plan right now.

3) I am limited by Apple's greedy freaking "no expandable media slot" tactic to make you purchase a new one every year or so to fit all the shat you want on it.

4) I will have The Mongoose saying "told you so" with childish glee.

5) I have to re-teach myself the unlock process and deal with Cydia and jailbreaking and whatnot. I don't even remember the websites I went to when I did all that 2 years ago. I've unlocked 2 iphones in the past.

6) What should I do good people of the Tech board? I need your advise.

Somehow, I think you and I've discussed this, but I'm sure it will please you that I'm going to take the bait on this hook anyway. I have no investment or concern whether or not you get an iphone.

1) That depends on your provider and what protocols it supports. Regardless, you will need to set the email client on the iPhone to check so often. The definition of "immediately" with email is very gray.

2) Think of it as one beer a month. Trivial.

3) I got the 32GB model. I have 50GB of music on my iPod, but I was able to narrow it down to about 15 of stuff to have on hand on the phone (of course, I also have Sirius, Flycast and Pandora). I've had zero space problems.

4) He's a rodent. Throw a piece of cheese or a cobra in a closet and lock the door. Pshh.. Mongeeses.

5) Jailbreaking and unlocking are different. You have to jailbreak before you unlock. Unlocking is the process that lets you use an iPhone on other networks (primarily Tmobile). I can direct you to jailbreak directions, but be aware that the newest (3.1) update (currently) renders the iPhone un-jailbreakable. It changes the kernel software so that it can't be downgraded. It's undetermined at what point this will be broken. You will want to ensure that if you do get an iPhone, it's running 3.0.1 or earlier.

Sigh.

6) Other advice, tech board? (Advise is a verb).

Last edited:
6) Other advice, tech board? (Advise is a verb).

I'm typing this from a Blackberry and you find the one grammatical error out of all of that?

I think I'm going to do it. I hate scouring craigslist. I may PM you later for the info I need. What's the best podcasting app on Iphone? Don't tell Mongoose!

I'm typing this from a Blackberry and you find the one grammatical error out of all of that?

I think I'm going to do it. I hate scouring craigslist. I may PM you later for the info I need. What's the best podcasting app on Iphone? Don't tell Mongoose!

I don't podcast much (Sirius takes care of that). I would probably just use iPod.

I just recently got an iPhone and I am hooked. Though I had been using an iPod Touch since February, so I was sortof hooked already. With 3.1, I think they will eventually be able to jailbreak it. However, I was reading one message board that said it might not ever be able to be unlocked. I will see if I can find the thread. I got the 16gb and I have a lot of space left.

I jailbroke and found it it really wasn't worth it. Sure I can play roms on it but meh. I'm not buying a new one till next year. Not wasting $400 cause ****** ATT won't let me upgrade.

I jailbroke and found it it really wasn't worth it. Sure I can play roms on it but meh. I'm not buying a new one till next year. Not wasting $400 cause ****** ATT won't let me upgrade.

4 reasons I jailbroke -

Backgrounding - I can leave apps running (like Sirius) and do other things

3G unrestrictor - lets me use apps over 3G that are normally restricted to wifi (particularly slingbox)

tethering - haven't needed it, but it's nice to have

custom themes - I like my fleur de lis slider.

Help me brother buzd! I am heading back into town and I have to meet a guy selling his 16gb iphone at a Shell station on Vets. he says he's got version number 3.01. Are you sure I can unlock that version and jailbreak it without problems? If you could PM me the website with instuctuins (when i did it before it was on my old laptop-lost the bookmark.) If this works out and I don't get killed by a Craigslist stalker, I look forward to calling you my Iphone buudy soon. Viva Apple!

3.1 - no

3.0.1 - yes

I will dig up the website I used.

Go to Settings -> General -> About to check version.

If I do:

I can no longer receive my email immediately as I do on the Blackberry (have to manually check the website).

My internet goes up by $5 a month to $40 unlimited as I am on a grandfathered BB plan right now.

I am limited by Apple's greedy freaking "no expandable media slot" tactic to make you purchase a new one every year or so to fit all the shat you want on it.

I will have The Mongoose saying "told you so" with childish glee.

I have to re-teach myself the unlock process and deal with Cydia and jailbreaking and whatnot. I don't even remember the websites I went to when I did all that 2 years ago. I've unlocked 2 iphones in the past.

What should I do good people of the Tech board? I need your advise.

not true, email can be configured for real time, even web mail.

Ok.

Yeh well, thats really not a big deal. I don't really use my iPhone as a ipod, i use it as pocket pc, if you want Ipod i would suggest a Nano or a classic.

Meh.

Can't help you there.

Update - apparently you can jailbreak a 3.1 iPhone, but it involves downgrading it first. I may try that tonight.

EDIT - not a GS. Ignore this. G and itouch, probably so, but I'm not in a position to test it.

Last edited:
if you get a 3G you can't upgrade to the 3.1 and still get you microsoft exchange email if it has to be encrypted which a lot of work email is - so I will not be changing my software until they figure that one out - the 3GS work fine

I jailbroke mine for the tethering initially - but love the themes, backgrounds, 3g Unrestrictor, intelliscreen, xgps, etc - if you've done it before it shouldn't take you long to remember

if you get a 3G you can't upgrade to the 3.1 and still get you microsoft exchange email if it has to be encrypted which a lot of work email is - so I will not be changing my software until they figure that one out - the 3GS work fine

I jailbroke mine for the tethering initially - but love the themes, backgrounds, 3g Unrestrictor, intelliscreen, xgps, etc - if you've done it before it shouldn't take you long to remember

My company won't open any way for us to get push email unless it's through a Blackberry Enterprise Server. We're government contractors in a very competitive market and the bosses are security crazy. I'll have to check my email manually over Outlook Web Access. Had a devil of a night but it seems to be a hardware issue. Am having it taken care of (fingers crossed) tomorrow by the good people at Apple. I do owe buzd a thanks. I PM'ed him until he passed out last night, poor guy.

Please don't do it.

I don't want to hear every complaint that comes out of your Jay Leno sized head.

Please don't do it.

I don't want to hear every complaint that comes out of your Jay Leno sized head.

bringin_back_suck_it_poster-p228263500397756414tdcp_400.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom