Cooks and Sproles (1 Viewer)

CitySaint

SR is my life!
Reaction score
Am I wrong to think that essentially he is getting most of the Sproles production we lost? He is a more vertical Sproles while being the same sideline to sideline headache.

The Graham/Sproles combo gave DC's nightmares, this combo is going to be even worse.

No, you're not wrong. In fact, it's being discussed in several other threads just like this one.

I think you'll see a lot of him in motion, coming behind Brees to get a handoff around the end, or faking to freeze defenders. He's built rather stocky, so I can see him getting some between the tackles as well.

I don't think he will be used as much as Sproles was on draws up the middle. I think he will max out at like 30 rushes, but he will get a ton of bubble screens and smoek screens.

He's a Sproles that will be on the field 70% of the time which will keep defenses wondering if we're going to go short, long, or run when it's 3rd and 3.

Its simple and I hope people don't overthink it.

Sproles/Reggie had a similar skillset but it wasn't really the same. IF you notice u rarely saw sproles in motion, u didn't see any jet sweeps, or reverses.

Why because Sproles while quick and agile did not have 4.3 speed. He wasn't a threat to beat many CB's....more of a LB beater. Cooks can beat those CB's AND those LB's

He'll be used in a role closer to Reggies when flanked outside and on motions MINUS coming out of the backfield.

Basicallly he gives us what we lost with Sproles/Lance/Reggie.

Slot duties/PRKR Duties/Decoy and all around Threat duties/

He's more dynamic than Sproles was... I love sproles but he was no reggie in how he was utilized. He was a matchup problem but he wasn't a score from ANYWHERE on the field threat.

Cooks is a touch the ball anywhere on the field guy and its possible he goes for 6.

He won't have to worry about getting off press because SP will rarely put him in positions that will get him pressed. He'll be in motions, bunch formations, short screens you name it.

I'd like for him to add another few lbs to his frame and at only 20yrs old he still has some potential to get more compact and solid.

Its simple and I hope people don't overthink it.

Sproles/Reggie had a similar skillset but it wasn't really the same. IF you notice u rarely saw sproles in motion, u didn't see any jet sweeps, or reverses.

Why because Sproles while quick and agile did not have 4.3 speed. He wasn't a threat to beat many CB's....more of a LB beater. Cooks can beat those CB's AND those LB's

He'll be used in a role closer to Reggies when flanked outside and on motions MINUS coming out of the backfield.

Basicallly he gives us what we lost with Sproles/Lance/Reggie.

Slot duties/PRKR Duties/Decoy and all around Threat duties/

He's more dynamic than Sproles was... I love sproles but he was no reggie in how he was utilized. He was a matchup problem but he wasn't a score from ANYWHERE on the field threat.

Cooks is a touch the ball anywhere on the field guy and its possible he goes for 6.

He won't have to worry about getting off press because SP will rarely put him in positions that will get him pressed. He'll be in motions, bunch formations, short screens you name it.

I'd like for him to add another few lbs to his frame and at only 20yrs old he still has some potential to get more compact and solid.

In terms of the passing game the dude may be more dynamic than both Sproles and Reggie. He stretches the field in ways neither of them did. You could say teams worried about us going deep to Reggie but we never did, Reggie had what two 20+ passes out of 150+ attempts. I think Cooks is more of a threat. In terms of the short passing game, the explosion and short area quickness is there... Bush had a shuttle of 3.95, Cooks was 3.81

Cooks > Randall Cobb

I'm a saints fan 100%, but calm down with the homerism.... he hasn't played a single snap yet.

At this point in time cobb is better than cooks solely because he has produced in the nfl.

In terms of the passing game the dude may be more dynamic than both Sproles and Reggie. He stretches the field in ways neither of them did. You could say teams worried about us going deep to Reggie but we never did, Reggie had what two 20+ passes out of 150+ attempts. I think Cooks is more of a threat. In terms of the short passing game, the explosion and short area quickness is there... Bush had a shuttle of 3.95, Cooks was 3.81

I don't think there is any "may" about it. He will be more dynamic than both of them in the passing game. What we've lost in the last couple of years is the ability to blow the top off of defenses. Defenses like Seattle weren't scared of us going over the top of them and felt confident they could keep everything in front of them. It's one of the reason our screen game was never effective against them. They were to quick to come up to stop it.

Now imagine Cooks lined up on the left side. We set up a fake screen to the right. Safety comes up. Cooks is left one on one running a deep post. TD. This happens once and you will see every defense play us differently. They have to account for him. It opens everything up underneath.

We lost a lot of that when Devery got old and slowed down. Stills is good deep, but his speed doesn't scare defenses enough to change their coverage. Cooks will.

I can't wait.

Yes Cooks will get screens and some end arounds like Sproles and Reggie did. But he's a WR first. He will run all kinds of routes: slants, posts, flys, curls, options, etc... Good luck to DC's.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom