Cooks explains the reason for his outburst "Closed mouths don't get fed" (1 Viewer)

Ok bear with me guys cause I miss not exactly a football genius, but him complaining makes very little sense to me.

The reason I say this is because of the way the ebb and flow of targets work in the NFL.

Cooks had a few pretty big games in the first half of the season, so he's been drawing a lot of coverage and double teams as a result (aka respect).
Now, Thomas has been having a lot of targets and big games. So theoretically, won't teams start doubling now him which would open it up for cooks?

Like, isn't that how this works? Once one receiver gets attention, the coverage switches to him, and allows the previous receiver to blow up again?

Isn't this something that receivers know to be true?

Don't you think the Lions are gonna game plan against Thomas specifically after last Sunday, so it should be an easier day for cooks?

This just seems like a simple concept to me, so I don't understand what's going on.

Let’s get some RINGS on these guys fingers and they’ll really understand what it feels like to be part of a TEAM~! Once you’re on a TEAM who has a couple of rings on their fingers? TEAM just seems to fit right into their mindsets so if it’s real TEAM and not being selfish we want from the youngblood, let’s put some Bling on the Thing~! Beat Detroit and we’re back to where we need to be. Let’s get THAT DONE and THEN move on to beating the next team up as we hold our own destiny in our hands as we’ll NEED Cooks’ talents to really shine to make that happen~!

He needs to develop his game if he wants more targets.

His game and attitude are exactly the same as mesean jackson in Philly. Hopefully he realizes and changes his perspective.Hate to see him traded and blame it on his gang affiliations.

Don't see him as the next Steve Smith.
If he can develop like Devery did, he can become a very good #2 receiver. Learn how to work in tight spaces. Right now he has to run past the defense to get open.

Right now he is just a really good #3. Unlike early Devery and Ginn if he gets past the defense it's a TD

instead of a 50/50. Defenses have to roll coverage to account for where he is at all times.

This is a bad look for Cooks no matter how you guys wanna spin it. It's selfish, especially in light of our best offensive performance of the season. I promise you, Sean Payton is less than pleased.

I agree 100% and you're correct. People can spin it however they want to make it seem like a non issue, but when you win a game and it's a big game for your season yet someone complains about their lack of contributions bc of how they were used it's an issue. It's outright selfish. It's not a team thing, it's not a I want to help my team thing, it's a I want "mine" kinda thing. It's ridiculous and he's too good of a player and person to be a baby about things. Every person on the team needs to play their role. I don't hear other players going in the media crying when he has a big game.

I don't think its a big deal either, but its funny how so many people on SR were trying to pretend that his comments were about something else.

what are you talking about?

literally everyone was either saying its no big deal or they said that that tweet he sent was bc of his frustration bc he didnt get targeted. the latter has proven to be the case which is evident in the interview.

Sort of LOST in all of this is the fact that the Saints' offense is not, repeat, NOT forcing throws when the coverage isn't right. To me, that speaks volumes on how good our offensive team (Brees & the coaches) study the opponents' scheme.

The following article tells a little more about this, and we should all be encouraged by what's there:

The first play of the game is supposed to be his play. We don’t get the right coverage look. We’ll keep working it and finding those opportunities for him to receive those touches. He’s a fantastic player and a great man and we have a great relationship. It’s hard when you do have a game with a lot of numbers like that and a guy like Brandin who works his tail off doesn’t have a target or a touch. That can happen. But I would say that’s rare.

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.co...n-cooks-reported-frustration-saints-offense#0

:gosaints:

If your only gift is going deep, teams will take that away. MT and WS make people miss!! Cooks falls down half the time before getting hit.

Shouldn't these comments have been behind doors with SP and Drew?

If your only gift is going deep, teams will take that away. MT and WS make people miss!! Cooks falls down half the time before getting hit.

Shouldn't these comments have been behind doors with SP and Drew?

thats what i am hoping he gains from this. vague tweets are not the way to handle frustration. that needs to stay private no matter what. dont look to the outside world for validation in these situations.

Brandon, in the words of Michael Thomas, ...#SSShhhhh!

Get better at what you do before you run your mouth.

I love Cooks but he is a 1 trick pony. He needs to improve as many have stated above.

Have to disagree with you on this. I'm sure that he was happy with the win, but in a game where our offense scores seven touchdowns and one of our better offensive players has zero targets, very understandable his frustration afterwards

I don't think anyone has a problem with him being frustrated, but in how he voiced it. Using social media like he did was very immature and selfish and even his explanation came across that way too.

Bree's has proven over his career of you get open he will get you the ball and Cooks failed to get open against the Rams who obviously game planned to stop him from beating them deep.

the issue is that he's not nearly good enough to run his mouth like this.

good player, but he has no shake or ability to get YAC, he's short and he's not terribly physical. he's either blowing the doors off people with pure speed or he's catching 4 balls for 30 yards.

I'm so disappointed in Cooks for this. I get why, and I know he's not actually selfish and such. He's a competitor. And maybe he realizes that Michael Thomas is becoming the first player Brees looks to when it used to be him. Maybe a little Buzz Lightyear and Woody situation.

But this always winds up with people bringing up the player's flaws and thinking less of them. Even I'm thinking about how Cooks doesn't get much YAC unless he's already hit in stride and has a clear path or that he doesn't make people miss.

Whatever. We have a great problem. Too many options. Can't wait till this Sunday.

This is a bad look for Cooks no matter how you guys wanna spin it. It's selfish, especially in light of our best offensive performance of the season. I promise you, Sean Payton is less than pleased.

This is kind of what I was thinking. We won by 4 TDs so any complaints he has are more thinking about himself than the team, which I guess is his perogative. But after 10 years with the classiest WR I've ever seen who never complained one time, it's hard to feel receptive to this. Maybe Colston made my standards too high.

And this is all I was trying to say in the other thread.
He was clearly frustrated and you could tell by his body language.

Somehow that got turned into a trading cooks thread.......

Cooks needs to realize that it isn't a 1 vs 2 scenario.
The way I see it, Cooks is 1a and Thomas is 1b and Snead is the clear #2 wr.

Cooks is the speedster, that's his role. Thomas is the 2nd coming of Colston, that's just their roles and if they can be comfortable with that this offense will run like a finely tuned machine.

No one seems to remember when Meachem had the same gripe, the role of blowing the top off defenses is a very thankless role, but it's just as important as being the slot receiver.

Cooks will get his, he just needs to settle down and go to work.
Teams aren't going to just stop throwing coverage his way though, that's the result of catching 2 almost 100 yard passes for TD's.

I just hope we don't start changing things on offense to get him his touches, don't fix what aint broken.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom