Cool Wideouts that I like that we won't draft 2021 version (1 Viewer)

NOFALCONS10

Not a part of your system
Reaction score
Sticky Post
So I plan on making only 3 more draft threads, one to address wideouts I like (this one), another to address the great Defensive end depth in the 2021 class and finally, one to address The likely offensive line picks that we all know are inevitably coming instead of all the cool skill players that we want.

Sadly there aren't any DK Metcalfs or Chase Claypool freaks of nature that will be available when the Saints draft this year but there are a handful of good ones who can upgrade the roster.

So without further ado, I just want to run down a brief list of wideouts in drafting range for the Saints who I think give us size/speed skill sets that aren't currently on the Roster.

1)Terrace Marshall

I can't see him actually falling to 28 but many drafts have him here.

2) Tamarrion Terry

6'3 210 with 23 mph speed. Supposedly as fast as Tyreek Hill or faster. Had 9 plays of 60+ yards in 2019

3) Johnathan Adams Jr

He reminds me of a combination of Justin Jefferson and Davante Adams

4) Dyami Brown

PFF has him as the best and most consistent deep threat of the past two years. That includes guys like Waddle, Chase, and Devonta Smith.

5) Sage Surratt

Big possession guy who had over 1100 yards in 9 games a year ago for Wake Forrest

6) Warren Jackson

6'6 wr with over 1000 yards receiving in 2020.

Tall wideout who I think would pair perfectly with Jameis Winston in a WCO type system like he had with Mike Evan's and Vincent Jackson.

7) TJ Vasher

Another acrobatic 6'6 WR with ball skills and Smooth hips that put a guy like Brandon Coleman to shame.

Unlike Coleman he has 50/50 ability and while he is 6'6 he also plays 6'6.

Also check out his amazing catch at the bottom

OP
NOFALCONS10

NOFALCONS10

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to getting all of these WRs attribute numbers to populate the spreadsheet I created last year. It's not perfect, but it was pretty good.
Nico Collins (6'4 215) and Rashod Bateman (6'3 210)

Will probably be pretty high up there too.

I like Collins as a 3rd wr. Possibly even a #2 but he doesn't quite intrigue me as much as the others on my list.

harschman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Gonna be the bigger wrs like Johnathan Adams, Surratt and Warren Jackson who will undoubtedly dominate the top based on your (and my) past criteria from last year.
True, but 40, 3-cone and shuttle factors in as well so they'll have to be athletic big WRs. Claypool and DPJ were 1-2. We all saw what Claypool can do and DPJ showed flashes. He's going to ascend in Cleveland and considering he's a throwback, do-it-all, gritty X WR, he has the perfect guy to be mentored by in Landry.

OP
NOFALCONS10

NOFALCONS10

Reaction score
True, but 40, 3-cone and shuttle factors in as well so they'll have to be athletic big WRs. Claypool and DPJ were 1-2. We all saw what Claypool can do and DPJ showed flashes. He's going to ascend in Cleveland and considering he's a throwback, do-it-all, gritty X WR, he has the perfect guy to be mentored by in Landry.
Just going on tape alone, if I had to guess, those would be my top rookies outside of the first rounders.

I'm going to go out on a limb and add Jaelon Darden to that list as well because of his prowess in the Slot. Ditto Demetric Felton and Amari Rogers.

We surmised that guys weighing less than 210 lbs who excel as rookies were more or less outliers but with guys like Waddle, Smith, Moore, Chase, Marshall, and Toney all coming in the first this year I suspect that they are going to buck the trend like Justin Jefferson and Jeudy did last year.

I will say that my predictions based mostly on size and athleticism did hold true for Claypool and Michael Pittman Jr.

Shenault even had his moments.

OP
NOFALCONS10

NOFALCONS10

Reaction score

I'm really interested in this guy.

harschman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Just going on tape alone, if I had to guess, those would be my top rookies outside of the first rounders.

I'm going to go out on a limb and add Jaelon Darden to that list as well because of his prowess in the Slot. Ditto Demetric Felton and Amari Rogers.

We surmised that guys weighing less than 210 lbs who excel as rookies were more or less outliers but with guys like Waddle, Smith, Moore, Chase, Marshall, and Toney all coming in the first this year I suspect that they are going to buck the trend like Justin Jefferson and Jeudy did last year.

I will say that my predictions based mostly on size and athleticism did hold true for Claypool and Michael Pittman Jr.

Shenault even had his moments.
Chase is over the RBS average and the rest are under. Marshall is close and if he weighs over 205, he'll be good. As for last year Jefferson was over the average in RBS which combined with is other attributes put him near the top.

Looking at the spreadsheet, I didn't go back and add their draft round which is +1 for 1st round picks. After making that adjustment, Claypool and DPJ had raw 6 scores with Kirk Merritt, Joe Reed and Patmon with a raw 5 scores. Jefferson, Aiyuk, Ruggs and Reagor all had a 5 score after adding their +1 for round drafted which rounded out the top 9 WRs. These scores didn't include the 3-cone and 20-yard shuttle since I didn't have that data on everyone.

OP
NOFALCONS10

NOFALCONS10

Reaction score
Chase is over the RBS average and the rest are under. Marshall is close and if he weighs over 205, he'll be good. As for last year Jefferson was over the average in RBS which combined with is other attributes put him near the top.

Looking at the spreadsheet, I didn't go back and add their draft round which is +1 for 1st round picks. After making that adjustment, Claypool and DPJ had raw 6 scores with Kirk Merritt, Joe Reed and Patmon with a raw 5 scores. Jefferson, Aiyuk, Ruggs and Reagor all had a 5 score after adding their +1 for round drafted which rounded out the top 9 WRs. These scores didn't include the 3-cone and 20-yard shuttle since I didn't have that data on everyone.

It's hilarious that Devonta Smith might weigh less than 190lbs but also led the NCAA In yards after contact the past two years.

He and Waddle destroyed the highly rated corners for Georgia.

harschman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
It's hilarious that Devonta Smith might weigh less than 190lbs but also led the NCAA In yards after contact the past two years.

He and Waddle destroyed the highly rated corners for Georgia.

Not only is his weight low, but at 6'1", he's really lean. He may only end up with that being his only negative and then grade out really well with the performance on tape to back it up.

jasonsw

Long live Duke and Goose
Reaction score
I'm not going to do a thread on running backs but as we all know Payton likes receiving backs with special teams value so three names there to keep an eye on Are

Travis Ettiene

Kenneth Gainwell

Demetric Felton (can play slot and scatback)

Etienne like him alot. He would give Saints perhaps best backfield in the NFL and provide two serious recieving threats from that position

tjharris

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Not only is his weight low, but at 6'1", he's really lean. He may only end up with that being his only negative and then grade out really well with the performance on tape to back it up.
I don't think Smith's weight is a factor when he's on the field. I do, however, think it'll make him more injury prone in the NFL. 6'1" 190 isn't the frame to hold up over a 16 game season, not when you have NFL safeties out weighing you by 30 lbs

harschman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I don't think Smith's weight is a factor when he's on the field. I do, however, think it'll make him more injury prone in the NFL. 6'1" 190 isn't the frame to hold up over a 16 game season, not when you have NFL safeties out weighing you by 30 lbs
RBS indicates durability. Smith is 6'1' 175lbs he's a long way from 190lbs which is where he needs to get to the minimum on the RBS range for Top 25 WRs.

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Fun thread.....very informative and enjoyable.

But....WR is one of the least important positions, in the current state of the NFL, to actually winning games.

Very important position in winning fantasy football.....but actual football, one of the least important.

The Bucs “best” WR, Mike Evans, did hardly anything in most games down the stretch.
Devante Adams-Lost to Bucs
Mike Thomas-Lost to Bucs
Metcalf- Lost to Rams
Hopkins-No playoffs
Jules SS
Diggs
Robinson
Ridley
Keenan Allen
Lockett
There’s your top 10 in receptions (andCGM)

I agree they are shiny and fun, but hardly a key component to winking football.

OP
NOFALCONS10

NOFALCONS10

Reaction score
Fun thread.....very informative and enjoyable.

But....WR is one of the least important positions, in the current state of the NFL, to actually winning games.

Very important position in winning fantasy football.....but actual football, one of the least important.

The Bucs “best” WR, Mike Evans, did hardly anything in most games down the stretch.
Devante Adams-Lost to Bucs
Mike Thomas-Lost to Bucs
Metcalf- Lost to Rams
Hopkins-No playoffs
Jules SS
Diggs
Robinson
Ridley
Keenan Allen
Lockett
There’s your top 10 in receptions (andCGM)

I agree they are shiny and fun, but hardly a key component to winking football.
You're arguing this when guys like Tyreek Hiil and Brandin cooks have gone to back-to-back superbowls in recent years?

Wideouts have a huge impact on the game.

A big part of getting to the superbowl is making the playoffs.

Guess what most of those guys have in common?

tjharris

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
RBS indicates durability. Smith is 6'1' 175lbs he's a long way from 190lbs which is where he needs to get to the minimum on the RBS range for Top 25 WRs.
Cool I had no idea what RBS was.
Damn 175# is way worse

harschman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Cool I had no idea what RBS was.
Damn 175# is way worse
It's relative body size, weight in pounds divided by height in inches. Smith is at 2.40. I went back 20 years and there hasn't been a WR as thin has him finish in the top 25 for receptions or receiving yards. The closest was Brian Hartline in 2011 or 2012 and he was 6'2" 180lbs which is 2.43 RBS.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)