Copeland Family wants to Erect Statue of Al in Lafreniere Park... (1 Viewer)

FLIPPY

Angler of the Year
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Al Copeland statue, stage, could be erected in Metairie's Lafreniere Park | NOLA.com

This thing has Al Copeland written all over it.....But, Where's the christmas lights....? :idunno:

It looks like Lee Circle, only with Al holding a box of Popeyes with a power boat at his feel.... :hihi:

12658737-mmmain.jpg

"Almost a Roman forum-type setting," Crawford said. "We felt it was not in keeping with being complementary to the park and its master plan."
Instead, Advisory Board members suggested to Al Copeland Jr., chairman of Al Copeland Investments, a more subtle reminder of his father, who died in 2008, Crawford said. Perhaps the family could sponsor a labyrinth in the park's parterre.
"Mr. Copeland didn't feel that reflected his father's personality," Crawford said.

extracheesy.jpg

Al Copeland statue, stage, could be erected in Metairie's Lafreniere Park | NOLA.com

This thing has Al Copeland written all over it.....

It looks like Lee Circle, only with Al holding a box of Popeyes with a power boat at his feel.... :hihi:

12658737-mmmain.jpg

1) the flag arm needs to be animatronic, so it waves the flag

2) the fountain needs to be at the statue's feet so it splashes water on the bottom of the racing boat

3) the box of chicken should contain real Popeye's fried chicken, free to whoever can reach it, to be replenished as necessary

4) there needs to be 3-4 statues representing his surgically-enhanced wives around the feet of the statue, in Greek-goddess style robes

5) MORE NEON

I have many fond memories as a kid of my parents taking my brother and I over to his house to check out the Christmas lights. Was sad to hear he had passed away some time ago.

While I understand that his Christmas lights are now being displayed at Lafrenier Park, wouldn't an Al Copeland statue he more appropriate somewhere in the Garden District area, since he came from the ole Saint Thomas housing projects?

Anyway, Al was a good guy that liked good tail. Can't believe it has been almost 5 years since he left us.

Well at least they are not putting him in the middle of Vets. Highway like they did for Harry Lee.

While I understand that his Christmas lights are now being displayed at Lafrenier Park, wouldn't an Al Copeland statue he more appropriate somewhere in the Garden District area, since he came from the ole Saint Thomas housing projects?

He may have came from the LGD, but that dude was Metry to the max. I mean that in the kindest way possible.

My fraternity (I went to Loyola) was able to have one of our Christmas Cocktail parties at his metry mansion as his daughter was one of our little sisters/later married one of my brothers. The inside of the mansion was insane in the way of sensory overload (even when sober), I remember nearly knocking a mounted moose's head off the wall onto myself in a bathroom...

so the artist renderings were released today, an boy does the statue look ridiculous.
Im fine with them putting a statue in the park if they go through with the donation to the park and build a stage etc, its much like getting your name on a building at a university, but at least make it a decent looking statue. This thing looks like a midget on a surfboard carrying a box of chicken.

-d4f85a82a6e6476f.jpg

First look at Al Copeland memorial design for Metairie's Lafreniere Park | NOLA.com

bwahahahaahahahahahaha, what program did they render that in, and where did they find a 386 computer to run it???

(and yes, the statue looks horrible although it's slightly better than the earlier idea....very slightly)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom