Cops accidentally record themselves fabricating charges against protester, lawsuit says (1 Viewer)

Although it happened a year ago, the officers are still on the job without any restrictions.

"“It was unbelievable — this is an interaction that was recorded from start to finish on high-quality digital video,” Barrett said in an ACLU summary of the case. “A year later, there has been zero movement on the internal affairs investigation as far as anyone knows, which just shows that police and prosecutors in Connecticut should not be in charge of policing themselves.”

But, we better "Back the Blue". Right?

SMH

Although it happened a year ago, the officers are still on the job without any restrictions.

"“It was unbelievable — this is an interaction that was recorded from start to finish on high-quality digital video,” Barrett said in an ACLU summary of the case. “A year later, there has been zero movement on the internal affairs investigation as far as anyone knows, which just shows that police and prosecutors in Connecticut should not be in charge of policing themselves.”

But, we better "Back the Blue". Right?

SMH

We should demand justice for those people and still support our police at large. These are not mutually exclusive goals.

The majority of cops, I suspect, are like my old man was, grinding out 50-60 hours a week at a job that's most likely going to kill them one way or another, either physically or emotionally - coming home after work and throwing up for an hour and then crying all night because of some horrific thing he had seen.

I don't doubt that most cops, especially in cities, are dealing with some serious PTSD and mental/emotional anguish, and yet, we keep sending them out there, depending on them to paper over the problems that our society in general refuses to deal with in any meaningful way, like mental illness, drug addiction, homelessness, etc.

So yeah, I support police, because they're people too. By and large good people, in my experience. We as a society fail them far more often than they fail us.

I tend to see it as a system and culture problem, rather than thinking all these officers are evil people.

The same way the culture at Wells Fargo led to the abuses that were found there just recently. All those hourly Wells Fargo employees aren't evil people, they were just caught up in a rotten business culture and for whatever reason couldn't walk away. Sociology tells us that quite a few of us would be the same when caught up in that situation.

Somehow, the police culture has led to this sort of thing being thought of as okay. It needs to change, and it has to come from the top, and from within the culture itself to truly effect the change that is needed. It is very troubling to hear the senior officer explaining how to falsify reports to the younger officers.

A great start would have been to see these officers had been disciplined by their department after that tape was made available. I'm not sure if there was any discipline or not, the fact that they're still employed doesn't really tell us that. Any internal sanctions would not necessarily have been made public.

Disciplined? They should have been fired for falsifying tickets. Lord only knows what else they have done

This story reminds me of the judges busted in the Kids for Cash scandal, where the judges were taking bribes in order to put teens in private prisons, and they put them in prisons for the stupidest of reasons as well.

These officers should be sent through the streets like Cersei Lannister, naked and mocked, from the police station to their homes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom