Cops and Cash Seizures (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
From a week long investigative series.

I had no idea about this but it's outrageous. Hopefully this expose leads to some changes.
====================================================================

Mandrel Stuart and his girlfriend were on a date driving on Interstate 66 toward the District when a Fairfax County police cruiser pulled out of the median and raced after them. The cruiser kept pace alongside Stuart’s old blue Yukon for a while, then followed behind for several miles before turning on its flashing lights.

The traffic stop on that balmy afternoon in August 2012 was the beginning of a dizzying encounter that would leave Stuart shaken and wondering whether he had been singled out because he was black and had a police record.

Over the next two hours, he would be detained without charges, handcuffed and taken to a nearby police station. He also would be stripped of $17,550 in cash — money that he had earned through the Smoking Roosters, a small barbecue restaurant he owned in Staunton, Va. Stuart said he was going to use the money that night for supplies and equipment.

Stop and Seize: In recent years, thousands of people have had cash confiscated by police without being charged with crimes. The Post looks at the police culture behind the seizures and the people who were forced to fight the government to get their money back.
Part 1: After Sept. 11, 2001, a cottage industry of private police trainers emerged to teach aggressive techniques of highway interdiction to thousands of local and state police.
Part 2: One training firm started a private intelligence-sharing network and helped shape law enforcement nationwide.
Live chat at noon Wednesday​: The reporters behind “Stop and Seize” will be online to answer your questions about the investigative series. Submit your questions here.
The reason for the police stop: Stuart’s SUV had tinted windows and a video was playing in his sightline. He was never charged with a crime, and there was no evidence of criminal wrongdoing. But police took his money because they assumed it was related to the drug trade.

Stuart would have to fight the federal government for any chance of getting his money back..................................

Ashby asked how much currency was in the van. Costello gave a low-ball estimate of $5,000 to $10,000, records show. He agreed to a search because he believed he had done nothing wrong, he told The Post. Ashby did not find any drugs, but he turned up more than $32,000 in the van and seized it through the federal Equitable Sharing Program.

Ashby called a fellow deputy who was assigned to a regional U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration task force. The second officer asked Costello why he didn’t leave the money in a bank. Costello said he needed it to buy supplies to fix up the Florida house. In court papers, the police justified their seizure by claiming that Costello was unusually nervous. They also said that Florida is a source of drugs for New York and that drug smugglers often use large amounts of cash.

Costello told The Post he could not believe that Ashby and his colleague disregarded the fact that they found no marijuana in the van. Before the couple were permitted to leave, Ashby made Costello hand over the money in his pocket, Costello said.

“He turned around and he says, ‘Give me the money out of your back pocket,’” Costello said. “I said, ‘What if the car breaks down?’ The guy has such an attitude with me. He said, ‘You have a debit card. Go find an ATM.’ ”.......................

They fought the law. Who won? | The Washington Post

At least he didnt have an anal probing.

The police state is out of control.

There was a thread here a while back about this kind of thing.. It's ridiculous what the police can do to make your life miserable, for no more than an assumption..

I do not doubt the story because this actually also happened in a small town near Lafayette not long ago. Scott police stopped a car driven by a Vietnamese man, planted drugs in his car and confiscated his cash that he was supposedly using to buy a shrimp boat.

Now my doubtful side asks why would Stuart who owns a business risk driving across state lines with thousands of dollars in cash? He obviously had a bank account as his Facebook page states they accept Visa and MC. What if he stopped to get gas and was robbed?

Not saying he deserved anything, just have a hard time buying his story myself.

Now my doubtful side asks why would Stuart who owns a business risk driving across state lines with thousands of dollars in cash? He obviously had a bank account as his Facebook page states they accept Visa and MC. What if he stopped to get gas and was robbed?

The article states he had no checking account or credit cards. Even if he had them he should have still been free to travel with cash if he desired. He wasn't carrying an unusual amount for business purchases and no wrongdoing could be shown at trial. The fact that he had to close his business after the police stole his business funds suggests that they were indeed business funds. The whole thing is a scam by police to generate extra revenue.

I will never, ever, ever submit to a warrantless search. Not that it will stop police, but I'm not making it easier for them. And if they start acting like they're corrupt, I'm taking out my phone and recording.

The fact that this is legal and they get away with it just reinforces that the police in many instances are worse than the mob. At least when the mob shakes you down, they provide "protection".

this is crazy...it is not uncommon i am carrying a chunk of cash on me due to what i do for a living. No i am not a dealer :).... I go to auctions and buy stuff too flip...well there is no auction house here that take credit cards, etc...it is a cash business. There are legitimate reasons for carry large sums of money and I should not have to be made to feel like a criminal for providing for my family legally.

Yes, the main problem is that a "positive" from a K9 unit is probably cause for a search. Then, even if they don't find any drugs, if you have a "suspicious" amount of cash, they can seize it. And then its up to you to prove you weren't doing anything wrong and get it back. And as we covered sometime ago, K9 units generate an awful alot of false positives. Gross 4th amendment violation IMO, if not outright legalized robbery.

We shouldn't have to buy his story. The burden of proof is on the cops. "You are carrying a large amount of cash, therefore you must have gotten it doing something illegal?"

Yes, the main problem is that a "positive" from a K9 unit is probably cause for a search. Then, even if they don't find any drugs, if you have a "suspicious" amount of cash, they can seize it. And then its up to you to prove you weren't doing anything wrong and get it back. And as we covered sometime ago, K9 units generate an awful alot of false positives. Gross 4th amendment violation IMO, if not outright legalized robbery.

We shouldn't have to buy his story. The burden of proof is on the cops. "You are carrying a large amount of cash, therefore you must have gotten it doing something illegal?"

Exactly.

No, officer, it's not a privilege to go about my business unmolested.

How has this been allowed to go on for so long? How many different institutions must turn a blind eye for these types of seizures to continue?

I thought this would have gotten more responses.

The cops can pull you over for bogus reasons, take all your money then keep it?

That's beyond ridiculous and corrupt.

We all only like to argue on this site, so stories we agree on don't cut it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom