Cops and Cash Seizures (1 Viewer)

Wow. They could seriously arrest half of America.

yeh. there is a lot of leeway for officer discretion. once your stopped they want to get you talking to see if your story is odd, to see how nervous you are, and see if they can transition from reasonable suspicion to probable cause.

Out of town or out of state plates (particularly New York and Florida)
White males with long hair
bumper stickers
sorority/fraternity stickers in windows
nervous driving
moving traffic violations
young men driving vans
two young males driving together or party type looking people
back of vehicle riding low
vehicle and trailer having plates for 2 different states

Moving violations? Really? Cops are pulling people over for moving violations.

yeh. there is a lot of leeway for officer discretion. once your stopped they want to get you talking to see if your story is odd, to see how nervous you are, and see if they can transition from reasonable suspicion to probable cause.

And God help you if you clench your legs together.

Moving violations? Really? Cops are pulling people over for moving violations.

Yes, i've seen cops on the interstate pull people over for no reason other then when the driver saw the cop on the road, the driver quickly decided to take the next exit into a rest area at the last minute.

the cops attitude was, if your so nervous when you see me, you must be doing something wrong.

I stopped reading at "balmy afternoon" .....are we writing a fiction crime novel here?

The moving violation is the probable cause. I figured someone as smart as you would know that.

the moving violation is probable cause to stop you and issue you a ticket (technically a summons) for the traffic violation. it is not probable cause to conduct a search of your vehicle in and of itself.

But yes, this is the first step in the process for them to put on the full court press to get you to eventually let them do it when you don't have to.

The moving violation is the probable cause. I figured someone as smart as you would know that.

Equating a moving violation with probable cause to search-and-sieze is the problem.

Equating a moving violation with probable cause to search-and-sieze is the problem.

Do you know what is probable cause? I don't see where I equated PC to anything. Probable cause is simply the reason for the initial contact and detainment. Upon further investigation during the stop, the officer could gain probable cause for a search. Also, if the operator has warrants and is going to be arrested, the immediate area under the individual's control may be searched along with his/her person, search incident to arrest.

John Oliver on this very topic

Last edited:
John Oliver on this very topic

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3kEpZWGgJks" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

nailed it. Been advocating the repeal of Civil forfeiture and RICO statues for years. Not an issue the media ever talks about, and the public doesn't care about, though 99% are unaware they even exist.

to this day i still don't understand how they pass constitutional muster of the 5th amendment...

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation

How is a moving violation or other civil offense probable cause for anything?

People speed. That doesn't mean they have a corpse in their trunk or a bunch of kids in their basement.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom