Cops and Cash Seizures (1 Viewer)

How is a moving violation or other civil offense probable cause for anything?

People speed. That doesn't mean they have a corpse in their trunk or a bunch of kids in their basement.

Actually, it probably means that they do not. I know if I had a corpse in my trunk, I would obey all the rules of the road.

So it's best just to tell the cops you don't have cash on you. But to throw them off the scent offer them all the donuts you got.

Problem is, once they have you stopped, they'll invent a probable cause to detain you. If you do have a wad of cash, the inevitable K9 unit will alert because almost all the cash in the US has trace amounts of drugs on it.
Short version: Once you're stopped, you're doomed. You may as well light that money on fire because you'll never see it again.

So it's best just to tell the cops you don't have cash on you. But to throw them off the scent offer them all the donuts you got.

Can you imagine how many donuts they have gotten from seizing goods from donut delivery trucks?

Can you imagine how many donuts they have gotten from seizing goods from donut delivery trucks?

Years ago when i was much younger, me and a few friends were bored and were just riding around one night.
We had stopped at the store and bought some honey buns (among a few other things like cokes, chips and peanuts). Not long after that we were pulled over because we looked suspicious. No speeding, or any violation, just looked suspicious. At 19, i didn't know what i know today about my rights. Of course we let them search our vehicle, we had nothing to hide.
They even called my buddys mom (who's name the car was in). They didn't like the fact she asked them if we had done nothing wrong, why were they calling her. After harrasing us for about 30 minutes, they had to let us go.
The thing that really ticked me off was that they stole our Honey Buns. Granted, they were only 79¢ a piece, but i was really looking forward to eating mine..
I guess they could smell them things a mile away..

How is a moving violation or other civil offense probable cause for anything?

People speed. That doesn't mean they have a corpse in their trunk or a bunch of kids in their basement.

A moving violation isn't a civil matter. A moving violation is probable cause for the officer to pull the vehicle over . . .

Years ago when i was much younger, me and a few friends were bored and were just riding around one night.
We had stopped at the store and bought some honey buns (among a few other things like cokes, chips and peanuts). Not long after that we were pulled over because we looked suspicious. No speeding, or any violation, just looked suspicious. At 19, i didn't know what i know today about my rights. Of course we let them search our vehicle, we had nothing to hide.
They even called my buddys mom (who's name the car was in). They didn't like the fact she asked them if we had done nothing wrong, why were they calling her. After harrasing us for about 30 minutes, they had to let us go.
The thing that really ticked me off was that they stole our Honey Buns. Granted, they were only 79¢ a piece, but i was really looking forward to eating mine..
I guess they could smell them things a mile away..

That's the story of the month right there lol

If that is how you wish to spin it. As I stated twice already, he could have been robbed or in an accident or what ever. There are very few legit reasons why one would HAVE to carry CASH across state lines. It is therefore my opinion that in doing so, you are asking from trouble.

You are making any excuse for the cop. The bottom line we live in a free country. If I want to roll with 10,000 bucks in my car I should be able to do so without the fear of the Gestapo police state of stealing it from me if I am a law abiding citizen. The police are starting to get out of hand and now people have had enough. No longer does one view the police as trying to help. If you get something stolen at your house and report it. Kiss it good bye. The cops are not interested in solving true crimes, but instead prey on stopping true citizens. This allows them to make easy money on traffic stops and preying on tax paying citizens and imposing extra taxes in the form of tickets.

A moving violation isn't a civil matter. A moving violation is probable cause for the officer to pull the vehicle over . . .

put it does not give them probable cause to search a vehicle. not giving consent to search may not stop them from searching it, but it might be the difference of having any evidence thrown out in court, or getting property back that was illegally seized.

Problem is, once they have you stopped, they'll invent a probable cause to detain you. If you do have a wad of cash, the inevitable K9 unit will alert because almost all the cash in the US has trace amounts of drugs on it.
Short version: Once you're stopped, you're doomed. You may as well light that money on fire because you'll never see it again.

Not only, but if you lie to them and then they manufacture some fantastical reason to search and they find your money then they'll use your lie as proof that you had something illegal going on and keep it.

Either way, cops win and civil society loses.

Not only, but if you lie to them and then they manufacture some fantastical reason to search and they find your money then they'll use your lie as proof that you had something illegal going on and keep it.

Either way, cops win and civil society loses.

thats why you say nothing. don't even answer the question.

cop: "are you carrying any money with your sir?"

me: "your pulled me over for speeding, write me my speeding ticket officer so i can be about my way"

an officer is not the person you have to prove your innocence to. keep your phone recording the whole time.

Can an officer be prosecuted for theft? If not, you could make some mad cash as a police officer. Like mobster type cash.

technically yes if an officer is seizing property illegally, the RICO act and related laws make the taking of property legal.

to prosecute a cop for any crime, you have to have a internal affairs division investigate the accusation. Cops are going to circle the wagons and protect their own, so getting enough evidence of a cop stealing property to build a case is a long shot at best.

this is why its so important for law enforcement to have a zero tolerance for this type of behavior by officers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom