Cordarrelle Patterson (Speculation) (1 Viewer)

NYSaint

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Josh Katzenstein of the New Orleans Times-Picayune named Cordarrelle Patterson as a player the Saints could pursue in free agency.
To be clear, Katzenstein isn't reporting that New Orleans is interested. He's simply connecting the dots. The Saints' special teams were lacking last season and Patterson is easily the top return man on the market. Patterson also earned an increased passing-game role in Minnesota last year. Creative Saints coach Sean Payton could certainly put Patterson's gadget-touch skills to use on offense.

What do you guys think????

I like it. But at a fair price. The return game (punt and kickoff) isn't something we've really EVER put any emphasis on. I want the days of just putting a guy back there to field and fair catch a punt to go away.

And he can fly. Put him out there on clear out routes, give Cooks a break. Let him use his skillset fully.

I like it. But at a fair price. The return game (punt and kickoff) isn't something we've really EVER put any emphasis on. I want the days of just putting a guy back there to field and fair catch a punt to go away.

And he can fly. Put him out there on clear out routes, give Cooks a break. Let him use his skillset fully.

I agree big time low risk high reward if we could make this happen

He's a creative coach's dream that spent his early years in the most uncreative system in the NFL. Never had a QB, never had great coaching. I'm not saying he can be Percy Harvin or anything, but NO is a great fit for him, at a good price.

Cannot see him doing much in passing game as he runs one route. He would be a nice returner though.

Don't like, unless he takes a CHEAP contract. Like Marcus Murphy money

Why would a returner that has had success in the NFL and is still in his prime accept the same amount of money as a returner who has an issue holding onto the ball?

Just looked up his stats since he's been in the league he returned only 1 punt for 9 yards. He is strictly a KR since he's been in the league. He just doesn't have that quickness to shake a defender who will be right there when he catches the ball.

Given our needs he would be a luxury and he won't make the offense more potent. Bree's already throws over 5K yards a year so any production would just be yards redistributed from other players.

If we sign him it can't be for too much given we have 6 starting positions that need to be addressed.

If I recall correctly Patterson only returns kickoffs. He is not a punt returner. So that would only solve half the return game problem. I'd rather see them draft someone like Adoree Jackson who could fill both roles and play corner.

Is it safe to say that the Marcus Murphy project is over? I saw him far too often on the sidelines in street clothes.

He's a creative coach's dream that spent his early years in the most uncreative system in the NFL. Never had a QB, never had great coaching. I'm not saying he can be Percy Harvin or anything, but NO is a great fit for him, at a good price.

I agree. We've seen Drew Brees and Sean Payton make average WRs look good. So what if he can only run clear out routes, those routes are a staple of SP's offense. Devery Henderson and Robert Meachem made a good living running the high numbers on the route tree.

If SP ever wants to get serious about improving the special teams Patterson would be a good place to start. If he can be signed to a reasonable contract then I would be all for it. An All Pro return man in his prime? Sure why not.

I bet 1/2 of the teams out there use one of their top receivers for kick off returns, why not us.??

He IS Devery Henderson. It took Devery forever to find his grove in the NFL, but once he did he became a big time deep threat in our offense. Patterson can play, he's proven that. But, Min wanted to use him as a #1 or #2 which just isn't his game. He is a coverage stretching wr and no one uses those kinds of players better than SP. I would love this pickup.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom