Corner vs. DT--your analysis (1 Viewer)

Saint Tex

Delvin, Bro
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Lots of threads on whether we want a corner with the first pick or DT. Most seem to agree that if Ellis or Dorsey is there, we take DT. I'm curious, though, as to which position will help us more. So assuming there is a top corner and a top DT available, which one helps us more and why. I'm not asking about specific personnel, but about the position. I'm looking for some real X's and O's analysis.

I feel like a corner who can stop the long passes will give our offense a chance to put up more points than the opponent. Others say that a top DT will help our DE's get to the QB and help stop the long throws.

So which position do you say will help the D the most, and tell us why that's your choice.

I don't think a rookie cornerback is going to come in and start for us this season. Usama Young is probably more ready than anyone we can draft, so I would go LB in the first round, DT in the second, CB in the third.

Ya know, it all depends, really.

A DT that can get great pressure, will help average CB's look better, while even though a great CB will have a tougher job without that, and will get burned more often, he will still look decent most of the time.

So really, to me, it just depends on who's available and how good they are at their position.

now, don't get me wrong.....I would LOVE to have Dorsey or Ellis, but i do think that our front seven will be strong enough to compete without them. So, i would say CB makes most sense. If linebackers can stay healthy, it is a much much better group than last year. we should actually be able to install some good and effective blitz packages with them. Plus, i think they will more effectively stop the run. As far as D Line pass rush, i feel if smith and grant can lose a few pounds and really show off their athleticism, it will make a difference. McCray will also be a huge factor in keeping the line fresh.

An athletic playmaking CB is our best bet. it would balance the defense. no question, that is what we should draft.

Ya know, it all depends, really.

A DT that can get great pressure, will help average CB's look better, while even though a great CB will have a tougher job without that, and will get burned more often, he will still look decent most of the time.

So really, to me, it just depends on who's available and how good they are at their position.
/thread

DT is more of a need for us than CB simply because of pass rush. You could have Champ Bailey and D Hall as your 2 Corners and the best saftys in the business and if you do not have a pass rush a good QB will rip you apart and the DBs will look like crap. On the other hand a good pass rush has proven to make lesser DBs look like super stars. If we get a good DT that can collapse the middle and take up blocks it will do several things. First it will free up Smith and Grant for hte pass Rush as well as Blitzing LBs so we can get pressure on the QB and make him get rid of the ball quickly which is good for our DBs. Next it keeps blockers off our LBs which will free them up for stopping the run.

Both sides of the ball start at the line! IF you do not have a good OL then you cant do anything and that applys to the D as well. With out a good DL we have no hope to do well on D. We have the DEs to get this done. We have the LBs to get this done if they can stay healthy but we do not have the DTs.

If Ellis or Dorsey are there at #10 then we have to take them. If not get the best Defensive player on the boardwhich will probably be a CB or LB and then take Laws from ND in the second.

T

Both DT and CB are needed but IMO a DT who can cause problems can really help. There are plenty DT's and CB's available in the 1st two rds. If I'm the Saints FO @ #10 here are 3 names to consider. (1) Ellis/Dorsey (2) Keith Rivers (3) Ryan Clady.

Both corner and DT are definite needs for the Saints. However looking at this draft and comparing the value of the top tier DTs w/ the top tier CBs...they are not even close. There is not 1 "can't miss" CB in this year's draft. Yeah, they all have potential...but none are can't miss. Dorsey and Ellis and the type of DTs we have not seen in a draft in a while. They are far more likely to make an impact this year than corners. Also, an elite corner who can man up on ONE WR while there are 2 others running free on our worse cover corners does not help us in as much in the passing game as a DT who can collapse the pocket, rattle the QB, and force him to throw the ball before he wants to.

A rookie cornerback traditionally takes much more time to develop and be effective than a DT who can start immediately.

I am all about the DT...normally. I was annoying people with how much I wanted us to trade down and get Ngata and I really think its one of the most important positions on the D.

All that being said....I actually would feel safer with Young, Thomas, Clancy, a little bit of Grant and a 2nd or 3rd round DT (Laws or Okam) than I would with Young, David, Gay, Craft, and a later CB....

But then Dorsey and Ellis are more elite, IMO, than any of the CBs.....and than again, a good CB is surely going to fall to us in the 2nd.....

There's just too many variables....

A DT can be in on every play, whereas a CB will mainly be focused on pass defense. Therefore, DT is more important. But the answer is "it depends" on who is available at which point in the draft. Dorsey or Ellis at #10? No-brainer. Neither available at #10? Who's left? LB? CB? It's so difficult to figure out the best strategy in this draft. :omg2:

That's the problem, you have two defensive tackles and perhaps one corner rated in the top 10, and the Saints are picking #10.

The next defensive tackle is rated either in the bottom half of the second or a third round selection, whereas there are a group of corners all rated around the same level in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

So how you have these players ranked compared to all of the other positions in the draft depends on who you take at #10, can you get the same player or one with similar ability later on in the draft, or do you take someone else entirely just because they are the BPA regardless of need.

In this draft, you take the DT's first because they are rated higher than any corner. That's not to say one position is automatically more important, it's just that a Dorsey or Ellis can do more for a team than any corner in the draft.

After those two, the dropoff is pretty substancial, so then a corner, linebacker or even offensive tackle makes more sense.

Lots of threads on whether we want a corner with the first pick or DT. Most seem to agree that if Ellis or Dorsey is there, we take DT. I'm curious, though, as to which position will help us more. So assuming there is a top corner and a top DT available, which one helps us more and why. I'm not asking about specific personnel, but about the position. I'm looking for some real X's and O's analysis.

I feel like a corner who can stop the long passes will give our offense a chance to put up more points than the opponent. Others say that a top DT will help our DE's get to the QB and help stop the long throws.

So which position do you say will help the D the most, and tell us why that's your choice.
It's foolish to commit to a position instead of a player. Dorsey and Ellis both are better than any other CB in the draft. If you have a shot at one of them, you gotta take them.

I think it falls like this for the Saints (if they stay at #10 and someone like McFadden, Gholston or Long falls):

1) Dorsey
2) Ellis
3) McKelvin
4) Rogers-Cromartie
5) Rivers
6) Williams
7) Harvey
8) Mendenhall
9) Merling
10) Jeff Otah

Dorsey or Ellis are elite DTs. There are no elite CBs in this draft. DRC has potential to be, but probably won't be ready to play at a high level this year. I would rather trade up to get Ellis or Dorsey than take a CB at 10. If we don't trade up for Dorsey or Ellis, I hope we get Laws in the 2nd.

We need to get a DT in one of the first 2 rounds this year. I wouldn't mind a DT in the first and the second if we can somehow get Ellis or Dorsey at 10. I have found a corner I would love to get in the third named Antwuan Molden.
possible drafts that I would like.
1) Ellis or Dorsey
2) Cason if he falls
3) Red Bryant if he makes it to the 3rd

1) Rivers
2) Laws
3) Molden CB

1) Ellis/Dorsey
2) Pat Sims
3) Antwuan Molden CB

1) DRC
2) Laws
3) Red Bryant/ maybe reach for Okam

DT is much more important than CB and we need help at both positions. so our main goal should be getting a DT. I want DRC a lot but I think that this Molden guy has just as much potential, and would be a perfect small school reach for Payton in the 3rd round. He can play against the run and the pass and has pretty good size (6-1 ,198 lbs). It's good because then we would go after 2 DTs and still end up with great potiential at corner.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom