Corner vs. DT--your analysis (2 Viewers)

It's foolish to commit to a position instead of a player. Dorsey and Ellis both are better than any other CB in the draft. If you have a shot at one of them, you gotta take them.

I tend to agree with this. But as it's been said over and over, the better the pass rush, the better the corners will look. Dorsey is the type of player that can impact games. Many people suggest this is just "homer" thoughts, but this is being talked about with all national media, fans and NFL teams (you have to assume that much at least). I have little doubt teams will reflect this on draft day, as there is no way he will fall past 8 or 9. And I would be surpised if he would go that late.

If the Saints go the bold route and trade up for him, there will be a lot of happy Saints fans, and a lot of angry Saints fans that just think of Sullivan. Two completely different animals IMHO. I for one hope we go for him. I'm not a big LSU fan, although I will pull for them to win of course. But my passion is for the Saints, and a good DT should make a more immediate impact on the game. The battle begins on the line. Nothing new there.

the only player i'd even consider trading up for is dorsey... he has everything you look for in a DT (a 4/3 DT, that is)... he loves the game, he's high character, and he plays every down... i *might* jump to #8 to take ellis, but it wouldn't be a slam dunk for me... as i said in another post, i honestly think the saints take BPA at #10 regardless of position (yes, even QB or RB if that player is highly rated on their board)... if there's no chance for dorsey or ellis, i can only see them taking a corner if it's mckelvin, otherwise clady or otah (whichever is higher rated on their board)

The 1st round pick is ALWAYS for the BEST player available regardless of position. With that being said, CB is more off a need postion than DT right now. We can draft a DT in the 2nd round and allow him to develop for a year or 2 or only play him in spot situations. We don't have that luxury with CB. We need a CB that can play M2M coverage right now unless we change to a Cover 2. We also need an upgrade at FS. Bullocks has gotten a free ride and he is just as bad as David.

It's foolish to commit to a position instead of a player. Dorsey and Ellis both are better than any other CB in the draft. If you have a shot at one of them, you gotta take them.

I think it falls like this for the Saints (if they stay at #10 and someone like McFadden, Gholston or Long falls):

1) Dorsey
2) Ellis
3) McKelvin
4) Rogers-Cromartie
5) Rivers
6) Williams
7) Harvey
8) Mendenhall
9) Merling
10) Jeff Otah

I'm actually not advocating choosing a position over a player, although I can understand why you might interpret the original post as doing that. I'm really just interested in people's thoughts on which position is more important to the team. Even though I'd love to see the hole at corner plugged, Taygolf has made a good case that it's DT that gives the D a bigger boost.

one thing good about a corner is you can get alot out of a corner in his rookie year but not too many dts. make a impact year there rookie year

We will not draft a QB at 10, and I feel almost as strongly about RB. The only way I see that happening is if there is some sort of draft day trade already worked out. But I think even that is highly unlikely.

When the Eli-Rivers trade happened, SD had QB as a need anyway (even though that was a mistake on their part) - so if nobody offered a trade for Eli they could still use the player drafted.

There is no way we risk getting saddled with a top ten QB salary. We couldn't even use the player - it'd make me throw something at the TV.

Oh, and I would take a DT first for the various reasons mentioned: more likely to contribute right away, more important position, etc.

Odds are it won't be either one. We always fool ourselves into thinking we HAVE to go CB or we HAVE to go defense and it never seems to happen.

Don't be surprised if the Saints take the BPA regardless of the position, since that's what we usually do.

I've always said that the D-line and the O-line are the most important positions on the team(except for premiere QB's or RB's).I think the line players are the backbone and the foundation of a good team.The fact that Dorsey and Ellis are rated so high makes it a no-brainer for me.If they're not at 10 and we don't trade up,then I guess you go after DRC.

Both corner and DT are definite needs for the Saints. However looking at this draft and comparing the value of the top tier DTs w/ the top tier CBs...they are not even close. There is not 1 "can't miss" CB in this year's draft. Yeah, they all have potential...but none are can't miss. Dorsey and Ellis and the type of DTs we have not seen in a draft in a while. They are far more likely to make an impact this year than corners. Also, an elite corner who can man up on ONE WR while there are 2 others running free on our worse cover corners does not help us in as much in the passing game as a DT who can collapse the pocket, rattle the QB, and force him to throw the ball before he wants to.
:plus-un2: :plus-un2: exactly

Simply put, a two dimensional DT-- someone who can take on double teams and keep lineman from the second level and stop the run as well as get interior pressure and disrupt the backfield is very rare. We DO NOT HAVE THAT. Ellis and Dorsey are those kind of guys. Only a handful of teams have this kind of DT. It is integral for any 34 defense, and for any Tampa 2 defense. In our 43, it would be just as important and impactful. We absolutely need this. A good DT is like a good QB or LT. They are RARE. So we should do everything we possibly can to get either Dorsey or Ellis. It is worth our first two picks.

A good CB is good becuase his line is good. He is good becuase the QB is under pressure and the scheme fits his skills. You can gameplan around his weaknesses and protect him with support, pressure, and the coverage you put him in. An elite corner is good no matter what support or scheme he is in. However, even the elite corner gets thrown all over if the QB has all day. We can not help a one dimensional DT without exposing our LB corp and secondary.

Without an elite DT, we are forced to bring somone else into the box, especially against two tight end sets. We are forced to blitz LB's or S's and leave our corner on an island, and if the pressure doesn't get there quickly, especially if we play someone competent, quick, and adept at reading defenses like Brees, Brady, ect, our corners will get burned, even if we have two Champ Baileys.

So in answer to your question, DT, no matter the cost. The players are there. There are two of them, and we will have to trade up and give more than Cincinatti is trying to give. I can guarantee that this is the only move that makes sense becuase next year we probably will not be drafting as high and it will cost more to move up. Last year, there was no elite DT. This year there are two. Go after what is there while we have the chance becuase these guys do not come along very often.

I think adding Dorsey or Ellis would be huge for our front seven, not only in helping with the pass rush and making plays, but also someone who is going to keep people off our NEW MLB and free him up to make alot more plays.

A quality DT can help a weak secondary more than a quality CB can help a weak DL. Pressure on the QB affects to whole field while a CB only makes a partial impact. JMHO. I believe DT has been our biggest need for a couple of seasons now. I'm not sure the draft is where we should get one but there don't seem to be many available in FA right now. Maybe on draft day we can pull off another player for moving back in the draft type trade like we did when we got Thomas and Faine. Is there a team out there with too many DT's that can't afford them all? Maybe we can get somebody cheap that will be cut later for financial reasons? (To avoid competition for their services) I want to draft BPA, though my preference is best BDPA.

It all starts with the "Fat Boys" up front. Sure a Corner might shut someone down for 90% of the time but whos to say they will constantly try the side with the shutdown corner on it. Heck, thats why the West Coast offense became so popular. With the Fat boys up front, they dont even have to get to the QB... but just get in his vision. Make him hold that ball for a split second longer. Once that first DT goes off the board, its going to be a scramble for teams to try to move up and take that last Elite DT. We are in a excellant position to get a great player. But you know that Murphys law Will happen.... WE have to move before Murphy has his way

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom