Cornerbacks are overrated and its true!!! (1 Viewer)

You can't throw a bomb with a 3 step drop. Thats not enough time for a WR to even get past the sticks on a 1st and 10.

Pressure will take the deep ball away and thats what we struggle with.

Agreed. We saw it with our own Saints years ago unless anybody thinks the likes of Toi Cook, Milton Mack, Reggie Sutton, etc. were upper echelon corners.

True, we can't realistically expect the team to replicate the Dome Patrol era but there is sufficient room to get better with the front seven -- specifically at DT and LB. And I'm not saying the team doesn't need to get better at CB either. But the team doesn't need to throw tons of money at perceived "shutdown" corners thinking it'll be a quick fix. Give just about any NFL QB enough time and he'll have your corners, whoever they are, playing chase in the open field.

The benefit of a strong front that can win at the line is solid, consistent play against both the pass and run.

In the defense that we run which is man aggressive

U need your back seven and particular your cb's to be able to hold their own on an island. Regardless of front four it is carnal sins that db's CAN NOT DO and i think david committed every one this season. In his defense our front four play was inconsistent at best but it's funny that Mckenzie had arguably is best overall season as a pro behind the same line so that excuse about that D-line play just became an after thought all in the same paragraph.

Regardless of front four it is carnal sins that db's CAN NOT DO and i think david committed every one this season.

I don't think anybody is contending that a defense can be particularly bad in a specific area. Have enough of a weakness and the other team is very likely going to find a way to exploit it.

A lot depends on the philosophy a person subscribes to. I'm a strong believer that it starts up front. An impact MLB or DT, for example, would change the fortunes of this team more, IMO, than the addition of an impact CB -- if all else remained the same. I realize not everybody agrees with that, but I think significant improvement in the front seven is more far-reaching.

Just to be clear, again, that isn't to say that I don't think the team needs to get better at CB. But if this defense can't generate any more pressure next season than it did this year, I think the secondary will continue to struggle.

U need your back seven and particular your cb's to be able to hold their own on an island. Regardless of front four it is carnal sins that db's CAN NOT DO and i think david committed every one this season. In his defense our front four play was inconsistent at best but it's funny that Mckenzie had arguably is best overall season as a pro behind the same line so that excuse about that D-line play just became an after thought all in the same paragraph.
Carnal sin?

Carnal Sins???

When i say carnal sins it is somethings that dbs can't do.Every football fan know what i'm talking about when the word carnal sin is thrown. Some may call it a different name.These are sins in football cause it will cost u your job or in somes cases your career. EX. carnal sins for qb ala Aaron Brooks don't throw the ball backwards!!!lol For ex.David, in a man defense U DON'T LOOK IN THE BACKFIELD. Down and distance, in a 3rd and long u don't fall for a play action. On fade routes never give up the inside cause the sideline is your friend. It forces your qb to have a very small window. The only time u gamble is when u know with out a shadow of a doubt u got safety help, if not don't gamble on pump fakes, u break when the ball is in the air and etc.

Agreed. We saw it with our own Saints years ago unless anybody thinks the likes of Toi Cook, Milton Mack, Reggie Sutton, etc. were upper echelon corners.

True, we can't realistically expect the team to replicate the Dome Patrol era but there is sufficient room to get better with the front seven -- specifically at DT and LB. And I'm not saying the team doesn't need to get better at CB either. But the team doesn't need to throw tons of money at perceived "shutdown" corners thinking it'll be a quick fix. Give just about any NFL QB enough time and he'll have your corners, whoever they are, playing chase in the open field.

The benefit of a strong front that can win at the line is solid, consistent play against both the pass and run.

LOL...I was just thinking of those guys. I was thinking back to the days of Toi Cook and Vince Buck....Atkins...so on and so on. Those guys made a good secondary but lets face it....they looked FRIGGIN AWESOME because of the front 7 that we had back then.

Yeah, but Jason David was a decent corner on a team that has good pressure from the DL and top flight safety play. So did David just suddenly forget how to play, have trouble adjusting to a new scheme, or get left out to dry by poor safety and DL play?

all corners are not made the same. jason played in a cover two system in indy and even there they drafted a corner in the 1st round to replace him. marlin jackson....... in cover 2 he could get away with peeking in the back field and jumping on routes because he always had a saftey over the top. im not saying you have to have all pro corners at every position but no matter what system you try to employ you need AT LEAST two good corners and we only have one.(that just tore his acl) only a fool would think that corners are overrated. i mean really think about even if your dline is great with our dbs all they have to do is max protect and go deep. did we not see that this season? our dline was in the top half in terms of applying pressure in 06, in 07 we were in the bottom half! for the most part the line was the same both years. we failed to up grade our corner back situation. jason dosent fit our system and he didnt fit indys the problem was not our dline it was the back seven.

if the qb has 2 seconds to throw before the pocket collapses in his face jason david would look like someone who actually knows what hes doing

if the qb has 2 seconds to throw before the pocket collapses in his face jason david would look like someone who actually knows what hes doing

That rarely happens and its frequency wouldn't increase much with the greatest front seven you could assemble, coached by the most aggressive defensive coordinator.

When i say carnal sins it is somethings that dbs can't do.Every football fan know what i'm talking about when the word carnal sin is thrown. Some may call it a different name.These are sins in football cause it will cost u your job or in somes cases your career. EX. carnal sins for qb ala Aaron Brooks don't throw the ball backwards!!!lol For ex.David, in a man defense U DON'T LOOK IN THE BACKFIELD. Down and distance, in a 3rd and long u don't fall for a play action. On fade routes never give up the inside cause the sideline is your friend. It forces your qb to have a very small window. The only time u gamble is when u know with out a shadow of a doubt u got safety help, if not don't gamble on pump fakes, u break when the ball is in the air and etc.

I think you mean CARDINAL SIN, unless you meant that our cb's were victims of "unlawful carnal knowledge," which means that they got f***** over and over again.:lol:

Carnal sin???

I think you mean CARDINAL SIN, unless you meant that our cb's were victims of "unlawful carnal knowledge," which means that they got f***** over and over again.:lol:

I see where i typed it wrong??? Excuse me for my TERRIBLE typing.lol Carnal is a spirtual definition Good spot my friend.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom