Corona Drinking Thread (renamed) (85 Viewers)

I don’t want to get into a deep discussion about women’s bodies and pressure to look good. Y’all can start a thread on that if you want. I mean is it really even a question? Look around and you’ll see the pressure everywhere.

For me personally I like the challenge of working out. I used to run marathons, I have done long distance road biking. At one point pre-pandemic I was really really good & strong at yoga. I just want to be healthy and strong and I don’t want to be fat. It’s not healthy and I don’t find it attractive. I want to be the best version of myself and being fat ain’t it. Our bodies are not meant to be overweight and out of breath walking to the mailbox.

I also don’t want to age like my grandparents did. I don’t wanna be 75 years old, out of shape and sitting in front of the tv 24/7 because somewhere along the way I told myself that I was too old to do certain things. I want to be up & about doing things until I legitimately cannot anymore.
Definitely. I don't exercise nearly as much as I'd like, but I do try to stay active. Play sports with my kids and stuff like that, although they're all older now, and with the pandemic, I haven't had the opportunities to do as much. I really need to start doing my own routine, although I haven't really decided what that will look like. I wish we had a pool. I would love to swim regularly. My boys have been working out 4-5 days a week at a gym, but they're in far better shape than I am now, so I need something where I can go at my own pace.

My wife wants a punching bag, so I might do something like that, more as a stress reliever than anything else.

I like being reasonably fit and not feeling tired all day. It's really not an image thing as much as is feels good when the body is healthy and in good shape.

Definitely. I don't exercise nearly as much as I'd like, but I do try to stay active. Play sports with my kids and stuff like that, although they're all older now, and with the pandemic, I haven't had the opportunities to do as much. I really need to start doing my own routine, although I haven't really decided what that will look like. I wish we had a pool. I would love to swim regularly. My boys have been working out 4-5 days a week at a gym, but they're in far better shape than I am now, so I need something where I can go at my own pace.

My wife wants a punching bag, so I might do something like that, more as a stress reliever than anything else.

I like being reasonably fit and not feeling tired all day. It's really not an image thing as much as is feels good when the body is healthy and in good shape.
I totally get that. Not working for ~15 years has aged me and taken years off my life I would imagine. Compared to back then I'm lazy as hell.

I dunno … I feel like my job sometimes ages me in dog years.
Mentally maybe for you but physically I feel way more beat up than I should be. Not sure if it's because I haven't worked or because I worked with my back my whole life and that stuff has caught up with me. It's been really hard for me to admit there's just some stuff I can't physically do anymore and my wife hassles me because I still try to do it and pay the price later. It just sucks. I still want to be able to do it. I'm just slowly realizing that physically I may be limited onnsome things. I'm not that old....but I feel like I am.

Mentally maybe for you but physically I feel way more beat up than I should be. Not sure if it's because I haven't worked or because I worked with my back my whole life and that stuff has caught up with me. It's been really hard for me to admit there's just some stuff I can't physically do anymore and my wife hassles me because I still try to do it and pay the price later. It just sucks. I still want to be able to do it. I'm just slowly realizing that physically I may be limited onnsome things. I'm not that old....but I feel like I am.
I think back issues are like mandatory after 40. Though my back issues started after I tore my ACL when I was 30. That’s why I try to do yoga at least once a week. It helps my low back a lot.

I totally get that. Not working for ~15 years has aged me and taken years off my life I would imagine. Compared to back then I'm lazy as hell.
God I have so much work to do assuming I ever get my surgery and it fixes me. I used to be able to bench with a couple 100lb dumbbells

Doubt I could ever get back to that

I think back issues are like mandatory after 40.
Wait a few years until you hit the half century.

All kinds of ish starts to hurt. The biggest issue isn't necessarily the nagging aches and pains, it's the longer recovery time when you overdo it or injure yourself. It seems to take forever to rebound.

For instance - I talk about the yard work I do. Back in the early spring, I trimmed some trees and had to get rid of the branches. I went to this wooded area near my house to dispose of them, and I got stabbed by a few stickers on a vine that left 3 punctures in my arm. No big deal, right? They're just now closing up and healing. Seriously?!

God I have so much work to do assuming I ever get my surgery and it fixes me. I used to be able to bench with a couple 100lb dumbbells

Doubt I could ever get back to that
I don’t think you should want to. Injuries change your body and I think the goal should be to be physically healthy and mobile and able to stay active in some way.

After my two knee surgeries I had to give up the desire to ever run another marathon. I suppose I could try to do another one but the impact on my body is not worth it to me.

When I first moved to Cali 3 years ago, I started running again. I was running 30 miles a week roughly. My longest runs were 8 miles. My low back and hip always hurt. So I had to stop. Then I got my bike and started doing long bike rides instead. Much easier on my body, I got to explore more of the city and my legs got stronger than they would have with running.

I think that’s where a lot of people go wrong after injury. They are stuck on being able to do what they once did prior to injury & it just doesn’t work. Then they do nothing instead of just finding a different activity they can do.

My $.02

I don’t think you should want to. Injuries change your body and I think the goal should be to be physically healthy and mobile and able to stay active in some way.

After my two knee surgeries I had to give up the desire to ever run another marathon. I suppose I could try to do another one but the impact on my body is not worth it to me.

When I first moved to Cali 3 years ago, I started running again. I was running 30 miles a week roughly. My longest runs were 8 miles. My low back and hip always hurt. So I had to stop. Then I got my bike and started doing long bike rides instead. Much easier on my body, I got to explore more of the city and my legs got stronger than they would have with running.

I think that’s where a lot of people go wrong after injury. They are stuck on being able to do what they once did prior to injury & it just doesn’t work. Then they do nothing instead of just finding a different activity they can do.

My $.02
Ok Ms. Know It All :sparky:

I have seen The Gentlemen so many times now....love that move.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom