costa rica (1 Viewer)

diat150

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know I had asked about this a couple of year sago, but wanted to bring it up again. I am looking at scheduling a trip the first week of may, which of course coincides with the start of the rainy season and cheap prices. I am looking at flying into san jose, manuel antonio for a couple of days, and then traveling to the mount arenal area for a couple of days, and then maybe monteverde for a couple of days. Im not sure if I would be better of getting a driver or just renting a car. Ill be staying for 8 days.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has any advice to make the trip a positive one.

My advice? Go and take me with you.:ezbill:

I love Costa Rica. My wife has family there and we own property there. Arenal is great. I say, get the car and drive yourself. Do you own a portable GPS? If so, take it with you. Buy some maps as well and have fun. Do you speak the language?

no, I was planning on trying to learn some basic spanish before heading there.

im kind of worried about doing the driving. everything i have read is that it is a good idea to get a driver/guide, as they are more familiar and can point out stuff plus save you time.

True, they will save you time and they also know English and can get you through anything. Basic Spanish will get you through though as alot of Tica's (nickname for locals) know English. They are more than willing to speak to you if you show a basic knowledge of the easier words. All in all, I would suggest you do what makes you comfortable. You can always do the car thing if you go back (and I think you will want to after your visit). I want to retire there as my wife and three boys have citizenship rights there as well as here.

Have a great trip and take lots of pics. Also share them with us when you get back.

Advice: Hire OnePeat to be your guide.

my fiance might not appreciate that:D

I just found a site that gives me directions between towns and I might not be ready to tackle that without knowing spanish, and at the start of the rainy season.

Mandi went to Costa Rica and loved it. She stayed at an all inclusive resort and included a jeep safari, a couple activities in the rain forest like a canopy ride and donkey ride, a day bouncing around from village to village and then a spa day in the hot springs. Don't know if that is what you are looking for but if it is let me know and I can get you the name of the company that put the package together.

She said the trip was non stop going but at the same time relaxing.

not really looking to do all inclusive. I plan on hitting 3 different areas in 8 days so i wont have the time.

well, i have decided that 3 areas will be a little too much in the amount of time i will be there, so i have dropped monteverde off of the list. the good news is that I found a flight that fits my schedule for 340 per person which is a steal, and it leaves out of new orleans instead of houston which cuts my driving time by 4 hours.

Pretty much did the same trip. Used Patrick in New Orleans at http://www.lovecostarica.com/ to arrange.

He had us fly from San Jose to Quepos (Manuel Antonio) and rent the car there. We then drove to Monteverde, then Arenal and back to San Jose.

It was my second trip to Costa Rica. Driving there is part of the adventure, but it can get tiresome, as a couple of hundred miles is not a 3 hour drive, like the U.S. Both times were in the rainy season. The second time we rented a small SUV (Suzuki Samarai) as the roads to and from Monteverde are a bit rough.

We did the trip in 8 or 9 days (I forget), including Monteverde. Try to avoid driving in downtown San Jose. Flying within Costa Rica was relatively cheap. Consider river rafting while there.

yeah I am kind of torn on paying 400-500 dollars for a rental and all of the insurance, or spending 880 and not having to worry about anything and having a guide to use for information and communication.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom