Could the Saints trade with the Lions? (1 Viewer)

I am not worried about Kamara's contract. We will have a budget allocated for him, and if he thinks otherwise, he will leave as a free agent with time.

Alvin should evaluate how good he has it in New Orleans (including scheme), there will be few teams where they will use him in the productive ways the saints do.

Think we only have a minimal chance on trading him. Any team interested will first have a contract framework before giving away any picks.

And the trade you can get for a running back is not that high. I think that even a couple of years of Kamara will be more valuable for the saints than to trade him for something lower then a second round. We should not forget we traded a second round pick in order to acquire him.

Alvin won’t care about how well the next team uses him because with the shirt time running backs spend in the league, the contract they get after their rookie contract is usually the biggest. Kamara will most likely go to wherever pays him the most. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Good running backs we've let walk during SP's tenure:

Pierre Thomas
Chris Ivory
Darren Sproles
Khiry Robinson

Not sure what makes you think we're attached to any RB.
None of those players are Kamara, and at his age. It's surprising how little respect he's been getting here. We're not the only team in the NFL that has never had a RB with his abilities. Traded or not, you simply can't compare AK to any of those guys. SP knows what AK brings to the table and I don't think anything but a contract dispute, severe injury or monumental (for a RB) trade offer would send him out of NOLA this season.

AK had only 87 more yards receiving than DS and took one more game to do it (45 vs. 44 games) so he only averaged ONE more yard per game and he had 6 fewer receiving TDs than Sproles did (10 vs. 16).
Remember this thread isn’t about sproles vs Kamara.

Saints got rid of sproles and it hurt Them. Kamara has also been hurt in the last season. Sproles leaving hurt their offense just like AK will but worse

I would be surprised if Kamara plays out his rookie contract this year. He got hurt last year and he knows that if he gets hurt again, his next contract won't be so high. He is due $2.133 million this year. His agent will have him sit until either a trade or new contract is signed. I would like for him to continue with the Saints, but not at $14-16 million.

They're not going to pay him anywhere near $16M/yr. I don't think they'd pay him $10M/yr. Ramczyk and Lattimore are much more important and they will get paid.
I am hardly arguing this point. I do not whether they will or will not pay him. What I do know is that they do not have any present plans to trade him.Beyond that it would be speculative for me to say what that means in terms of his contract.

Yea everything they say is the truth.
To me, yes. But you are free to believe he’ll get traded. Suit yourself.

I am hardly arguing this point. I do not whether they will or will not pay him. What I do know is that they do not have any present plans to trade him.Beyond that it would be speculative for me to say what that means in terms of his contract.

To me, yes. But you are free to believe he’ll get traded. Suit yourself.
I think they'd like to get something for him if they could. He won't be franchised or transitioned next season. I suppose they could just take advantage of the fact that he's still on his rookie contract and then hope for a compensatory pick next year when they don't re-sign him. He really doesn't have the leverage to hold out because his body of work with an injured season won't pay off next year. He'd likely have to sign a prove it deal with a team if he held out this year.

Saints talk with JK Dobbins, rb Ohio State.
Oh the intrickacies ( Homer Simpson)

I think they'd like to get something for him if they could. He won't be franchised or transitioned next season. I suppose they could just take advantage of the fact that he's still on his rookie contract and then hope for a compensatory pick next year when they don't re-sign him. He really doesn't have the leverage to hold out because his body of work with an injured season won't pay off next year. He'd likely have to sign a prove it deal with a team if he held out this year.
I'm not sure I agree, the transition and franchise tags are both options that are very much in play next year, if needed. I also believe the potential comp pick plays into the thinking.

But ultimately I put absolutely zero stock into the (so far) uncorroborated and speculative notion that Kamara will hold out. Negotiating a new deal will come in due course.

I would be surprised if Kamara plays out his rookie contract this year. He got hurt last year and he knows that if he gets hurt again, his next contract won't be so high. He is due $2.133 million this year. His agent will have him sit until either a trade or new contract is signed. I would like for him to continue with the Saints, but not at $14-16 million.
If a player misses any camp time , they lose an accrued season. This is under the new CBA, holding out screws himself.

Kamara (when healthy) is great at everything....In the end I would like to see him stay a Saint but not at the expense of not being able to retain Latt or Ram.....

Key part of your post; WHEN HEALTHY!

We are know, he was not healthy for most of last season. That said, 1) Would the Lions really want the risk of a potentially injured Kamara? 2) And should the Saints decide to sign him this year, are they willing to roll the dice, betting on him being fully recovered? Or do they wait and see how things shake out for him this year, before writing the big check?

Lots of things for the Saints to consider. It would not surprise me to see them trade him if another team has interest and the Saints can position themselves to land a significant player. And I certainly would not be surprised if the Saints paid him starting this year, or if they wait until next year. I would not write off any scenario. This is big business and the players are key assets to be used by owners, GM’s and coaches, as they look to make improvements to their respective brand. Do not think for one second, that any one player is off the table to be traded.

You're quick to forget how good Sproles was. On pure TD production, you're correct as AK has 38 in 45 games with the Saints whereas DS only had 18 in 44 games with us. DS, however had 5546 all purpose yard compared to 5061 for AK and did so in one fewer game so their averages are 126.0 ypg for DS and 112.5 for AK. Also, Jimmy Graham was a huge part of SP's red zone strategy so that inevitably cost DS quite a few TDs but AK gets those red zone touches since we don't have any single player hogging the red zone touches these days.
Sproles was getting long in the tooth. AK is still young and hitting his prime. That's the major difference for me.

Here is what I posted on another discussion.

I have an option for the Detroit Lions to think about and discuss.

From the SAINTS, the Lions get :

2020 Draft First Round #24,
plus RB Alvin Kamara,
2021 First Round Pick,
2021 Fifth Round Pick,
2022 Second Round Pick

From the Lions, the SAINTS get :

2020 First Round Pick #3
2020 Second Round pick #35

With pick number 3 the SAINTS can go in any number of ways.
I am thinking with pick number 3 we could pick Tua Tungavialoa. In Sean Payton's offense Tua could be so dynamic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom