Could the unthinkable happen again? (1 Viewer)

Darren B

My son's a Who Dat too!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So last year was pretty bad with Cam Newton being anointed the best thing since sliced bread and winning the MVP easily.

Well you've probably noticed the early MVP talk surrounding Matt Ryan. Yeah he's playing well but can the Falcons sustain this good start? It seems to me that the MVP is almost decided in the first 8-10 games every season thanks to the media bigging up whoever is having a good season and who fits their agenda, so I'm worried that Ryan will be this year's media choice to push for MVP.

Can you imagine that - 2 MVP QB's in the division and neither of them being Drew? I think I want to throw up.

Let's just hope Ryan cools down over the next few weeks, otherwise the unthinkable could happen. Again.

Crush

Very Banned
Reaction score
Drew has a SuperBowl MVP award and that is worth much more than the regular season "honor". The MVP award has about as much real meaning to me as a Pro-Bowl selection.

HouseCall

Resist, Ronald, resist!
Reaction score
Well, it's definitely not impossible.
Sadly, I'd imagine Jameis Winston would win one before Drew Brees. It's just depressing how that award is given.

You are right though, the MVP is essentially awarded by mid season. Look at the 2011 season. Aaron Rodgers was insane-- however, so was Brees. However, despite the fact that Brees broke multiple records for a record breaking offense and Rodgers played on 15 games and had a somewhat tapered off second half of the season, there really wasn't a "competition" for the race.
Rodgers was essentially awarded MVP by week 4 and there was little Drew could do to get back in the conversation.

That's why the MVP is a joke.

marccooper

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
At some level I would enjoy seeing Matt Ryan become the first MVP QB to be shut out at home in the first round of the playoffs.

Hotdog_Skin

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Man, I thought I'd enjoy this forum more during the bye after a win. But there is too much talk about how ATL is the best thing since sliced bread.

:smileypuker::smileypuker:

Sun Wukong

Worlds Deadliest Fighting Arts Champion and Master
Reaction score
Not a Cam fan either.....but if you don't think he earned league MVP last year, then you must not have watched anything but the SB.
Meh. All I'll remember from that season is him being chicken **** when it came to diving on a ball. And he's not lighting the world on fire this year. He had a season. Good for me. He's not a world beater.

firecouch

All-Pro
Reaction score
Meh. All I'll remember from that season is him being chicken **** when it came to diving on a ball. And he's not lighting the world on fire this year. He had a season. Good for me. He's not a world beater.

So you only saw him play in the super bowl? He 100% deserved the award last year. If you think otherwise, you are either a saints homer or a racist. Sorry, but it's true.

0rion

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
So you only saw him play in the super bowl? He 100% deserved the award last year. If you think otherwise, you are either a saints homer or a racist. Sorry, but it's true.
or maybe you're just a little out of touch....in 15 games Drew had 1000 more yards, a better rating, and a better completion percentage. So what made him the obvious choice over Drew? Winning record? That's not what the MVP is based on because with that D we would've been playing in the superbowl and not him.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
or maybe you're just a little out of touch....in 15 games Drew had 1000 more yards, a better rating, and a better completion percentage. So what made him the obvious choice over Drew? Winning record? That's not what the MVP is based on because with that D we would've been playing in the superbowl and not him.
Obviously
Oh and Sam Bradford for MVP!!!!

firecouch

All-Pro
Reaction score

Umm, you're only comparing their passing stats.

Cam newton 2015 stats

Passing: 3,837 35 TDs 10 ints
Rushing : 636 yards 10 TDs
(converting a first down on 42% of his rushes)

He did that with a good tight end and Ted Ginn Jr.

Drew Brees 2015 stats

Passing: 4,870 passing yards 32 TDs 11 interceptions

Rushing: 14 yards and a TD.

He did that without any of his receivers missing significant time.

Keep in mind that we were 7-9 and the panthers had the best record at 15-1.

So Cam had 12 more TDs and 8 more wins and one less interception, yet you believe Drew should have won MVP over Cam Newton? And I'm out of touch?

Also, traditionally, the saints pass more than anyone, so drew having 1,000 more passing yards than a mobile QB on a time control offense isn't that big of a deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)