Question Could this be the new normal? (2 Viewers)

jasonsw

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In time this Pandemic will probably pass. But when a new one comes in a couple years from now will the same measures be enacted? After all it seems like America was pretty laxed when Covid first occurred now it's has spread rapidly.

When another new virus takes hold will businesses and America shut down due to fear of lawsuits or another outbreak happening now that precedent has been set.

Or even more importantly what affect will this have on the American economy. Are people going to be willing to start or create businesses with the possibility it could be wiped out due to another situation like this?

The wife and I almost decided to buy a restaurant a few years ago but decided not to because the owners books seemed shady. Now we are glad we didn't.

There are tons of smart people on this board. What do you think the economic and social implications of this pandemic will be? Will America ever go back to the America we once knew?

Last edited:
This is the new normal for 2020, yes, and maybe 2021. But we're dealing with something that hasn't happened in a century, so I don't think we should expect pandemics on a regular basis. We are experiencing a rare moment in history, and for the moment we need to accept that, bunker down, and try to get through it the best we can. But one way or another it will eventually pass and life will go on, just like it did after the flu pandemic a century ago.

until someone smart comes along, i'll try

unfortunately i don't think we will 'learn the lessons' from this (really hope i'm wrong)
this is not a katrina or 9/11 - an obvious, impactful, traumatic event where closing the barn door goes a long way to mitigating future issues

this is more a microcosm of global warming - it's too nebulous, far-reaching and disparate for obvious fixes
ACTIVE governments (germany, s korea, california) will pass sweeping changes fairly quickly - too many others will dither

universal basic income and universal health care are the obvious things that should be put in place immediately
flex work, flex schooling too, probably
most every institution should have far reaching disaster plans built on federal guidelines

i imagine there will also be a new flight to the exurbs
Delivery is the new growth industry

It's the same thing with hurricanes...road out many with house parties as a kid. Always heard if one hits at the right angle, NOLA is underwater...I'm afraid all this disinfecting will make us susceptible to many other strains.

I think the country will be more prepared the next time something like this occurs. Better plans, a stockpile of PPE, and generally better organization. I think the threat was always there, but since this hasn't happened in 100 years, the country and leaders got lazy.

Looking in hindsight, I think our leaders should have picked up on just how contagious and serious this virus was much earlier. The common man has his head in the sand, but folks in the know that lead this country should have "seen it coming" weeks or a month sooner. This is not a political statement. Just saying in general, the folks that are in charge of our safety should have noticed the seriousness much sooner & took steps to minimize way earlier. Easy to say after the fact. I'm sure it was very hard for government officials to close businesses and shut down schools. But in the end, they are paid and expected to make the tough decisions for the better good of all.

I think the country will be more prepared the next time something like this occurs. Better plans, a stockpile of PPE, and generally better organization. I think the threat was always there, but since this hasn't happened in 100 years, the country and leaders got lazy.

Looking in hindsight, I think our leaders should have picked up on just how contagious and serious this virus was much earlier. The common man has his head in the sand, but folks in the know that lead this country should have "seen it coming" weeks or a month sooner. This is not a political statement. Just saying in general, the folks that are in charge of our safety should have noticed the seriousness much sooner & took steps to minimize way earlier. Easy to say after the fact. I'm sure it was very hard for government officials to close businesses and shut down schools. But in the end, they are paid and expected to make the tough decisions for the better good of all.

Is this coming back to bite us? I recall hearing that other countries were sending more here as well, but don't know the status. It certainly looks bad in hindsight. If it had stemmed the tide before covid arrived here, it would look much better.

LOL at thinking we as a country will learn anything from this. We won't.

While Telecommuting has been around for a while, it is having a major moment with this crisis. There are several businesses that are discovering that this can work and they can continue to operate. As the economic turmoil continues, companies will realize that reducing their real estate footprints will greatly benefit their bottom line. You may see major corporations adopt a Telecommuting First policy.

There will be more major consolidations of the Airline industry, just as happened in the years following 9/11. I think American Airlines may disappear after all is said and done. The same goes for cruise lines. I’ve never been a fan of putting large numbers of people on ships that are largely unsanitary. The market is going to shrink for that industry.

The WHO is going to gain a lot of power over this as countries look to better cooperate during a future pandemic. Normally I’d scoff at this but the markets losing trillions of dollars and 30% unemployment is going to push change. The FDA is going to get a major overhaul. I think it’s time for them to look at vastly improving the process to get new drugs approved without compromising safety.

I think our national stockpiles of PPE will explode. We will offer huge tax incentives for companies to move production of key PPE components back to the USA.

In the end, we will be ready for the next pandemic.

Unfortunately this will only last about 10-15 years then we'll forget about it and it will all go back to the way it was and the next pandemic will not hit until this transition takes place and once again we'll learn nothing. It's the way we work.

The source of the virus imo means a lot , was it man made or natural , was it preventable with higher standards?

Will originating areas be willing to isolate themselves as well as areas affected further down the road ?

will major cities use the time between these “scenarios” to stockpile non perishable medical items and not sell them should a cash influx is needed?

will the US be motivated to produce more medical equip / meds locally?

Will citizens continue to shake hands and other types of “casual physical greetings “, have masks , gloves and other items in a tackle box under the sink etc?

I do agree with above tele-services will be more widely used , full time field/home work with smaller main offices if any,

I think schooling will be the same at the lower grades , social interaction , being away from home and parents are important and some parents may not be the best teachers especially when teaching their own kids, maybe swap with the neighbors kids for class lol

I can see it possibly changing at HS level with alternating in class days with other days off much like a college schedule

if it is, i'm moving out of br to dread the end of the world just a little less.

just dance it away Zeetes.
1585745906774.gif

and I’d say the end of the world isn’t a good enough reason to move from BR. Now if we find out it’s going to not end anytime soon, get the hell out of there before you get stuck.

I think the government control window will move. With the calls for government to "do something" they will make changes to increase government and restrict freedoms under the "we had to do something" umbrella and while some of that may roll back, some will be here to stay.

I just hope many companies that are trying out telework will start to do so now. It was already becoming more popular with tech companies. My office worked from home a couple of times a week up until three years ago and that tornado in New Orleans East hit our office. We had to work from home every day for almost 8 months. We performed better than when we had the office. Now our time in the office is usually social time and meetings. Complete waste of overhead and time. I look forward to the day when i meet with other companies and they don’t say “must be nice!” when they find out i work from home most of the time.

This will ignite even more the conversation for a national healthcare system and the possibility of UBI, as guido said.

Not a matter of if, but when.

America is/was woefully unprepared for this outbreak and it's showed. If nothing else, a nation that is by far the richest on Earth should be able to have more hospital beds than prison beds.We don't.

I also think remote work could be the new normal for many companies at least in the tech sector. I like working with my people in the office, but I get more done when I'm in my home office and there aren't any distractions. Maybe it will lead to people considering alternate routes to work like via train, bike, etc. I dunno, we'll see.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom