Could underthrown deep balls be the new back shoulder fade? (1 Viewer)

nobackswing

Reaction score
As a designed play, especially with a tall WR. When a DB doesn't see the ball coming he can get really out of position. With good timing between QB and WR, I could see this concept being relatively high percentage.

Reaction score
A perfectly thrown back shoulder fade is basically impossible to defend and the WR can keep the momentum and gain more YAC or even get into the endzone

I see your point, but dont think its a long term way to go

j4m2b

Rookie
Reaction score
Its a good way to draw a pass interference!!! Seems like it always happens to us.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You’re only throwing that ball if your WR has a step
Under throwing negates that advantage (let’s the CB catch up) plus as 2nd poster points out it gives the safety time to adjust

jboss

All-Pro
Reaction score
Is this in reference to the one Taysom put up to Sanders? Cuz that easily could've went the other way. It was cool to see but it wasn't intentional of course and the secondary was way out of position on that one.

LUX

Ride til I die!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If we were not playing the Falcons, that would have been a pick. Only the Falcons can fail that bad. When I saw Sanders start to run back, I started to pray that it would not be a pick. I don't need those deep hanging balls for the entire defense to adjust on. No thank you!

bobad

Son of Adam
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's indefensible if man coverage and if the DB's back is turned. That's 2 if's, so it won't happen often. Another if, if the coaches are watching and see it, they would be happy to call the play.

Reaction score
Its been a Brees staple for the past 3-4 years. The WRs, were always waiting on the balls.

But the Seakhawks used it multiple times against is in the 2010 Playoff game. They were always singling out Harper. When That skittles running back went beast mode.

VPCajun

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
As a designed play, especially with a tall WR. When a DB doesn't see the ball coming he can get really out of position. With good timing between QB and WR, I could see this concept being relatively high percentage.
I know they (QB's) have purposely done that (underthrow the pass) for years, but I don't recall the exact scenarios that call for it.

(I'm thinking single DB in man-to-man in tight coverage, but, again, not sure. Advantage goes to the WR for finding and catching the ball.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom