Could Wil Lutz be as good as Morten Andersen? (1 Viewer)

Not sure. But it is really nice to have so much confidence that once we cross the 50, it’s almost a guarantee we’ll get three.

It's going to come down to consistency, Morten did it for a prolonged period of time.

He seems to have the right attitude, and is surrounded by good coaches to develop that consistency. I will say this is the most comfortable I've ever felt with a Kicker lining up during Payton's entire tenure. Even with Carney, and Hartley I felt there was the potential to miss a 30-35 yarder every now and then.

As crazy as the game was at the end, I had the feeling if we could just give Lutz a chance he would hit it. I haven't felt that way since the GREAT DANE! I think he will fill Morten's shoes nicely for the next decade!

Drop one of the "L"s in the spelling of "WILL" in your title please. He gave it to Houston last night!

Ask again in ten years.
This ^^^^

We'll see in time. But early indications are that he has a real chance to be more accurate than Morten. Mort had a career 79.7%, so far Lutz is at 86.5% and hit on 93.3% last year.

Still way too early to use these numbers to draw corrolaries, but if he stays consistent and has longevity he could be the best kicker we've ever had.

Right now I got him behind Morten as our second best all time kicker, but I don’t really count anyone before the Jim Mora era being that it’s way before my time haha. Plus we were the Aints back in those days. I got him past John Carney for sure who was likely our 2nd best kicker pre-Lutz.

I think if he has a long career here like Morten he can certainly end up being the best all time Saints kicker. Kickers have a hard time staying in the league and being consistent. So far so good, so we shall see. I’m just very thankful we got him and will forever be grateful to John Harbaugh for bringing him to coaches attention. And that’s hard cause I really don’t like either of the Harbaughs, especially his brother. Like this week up for John, being up like 30 against the Phins and he ran a fake punt?!?! That’s a straight up “fill in the blank” move

I believe that "as good as" in this case should refer to 'reliability' over 'longevity'. Sure it would be great if Lutz is this good & reliable as Morten Andersen was for another decade or so. But for me it is only necessary that we feel relatively at ease each time we send Wil out onto the field to do his job for us. And in that sense I already feel as confident in Lutz's ability to make his kicks as I did when the Great Dane was swinging his leg around here. No one is ever going make every fieldgoal for several different reasons (and neither did Morten), but I feel just as confident with Wil Lutz now to get the job done as I ever did with Morten Andersen.

And that's a good thing! :9:

I believe that "as good as" in this case should refer to 'reliability' over 'longevity'. Sure it would be great if Lutz is this good & reliable as Morten Andersen was for another decade or so. But for me it is only necessary that we feel relatively at ease each time we send Wil out onto the field to do his job for us. And in that sense I already feel as confident in Lutz's ability to make his kicks as I did when the Great Dane was swinging his leg around here. No one is ever going make every fieldgoal for several different reasons (and neither did Morten), but I feel just as confident with Wil Lutz now to get the job done as I ever did with Morten Andersen.

And that's a good thing! :9:

Some form of the longevity question will always be important if you want to say greatest Saint or greatest NFL kicker. Or any position for that matter. Otherwise the Reuben Mayes of the world would be considered better than the Dalton Hilliards of the world.

Edit: example chosen in honor of fans with longevity :LOL:

Some form of the longevity question will always be important if you want to say greatest Saint or greatest NFL kicker. Or any position for that matter. Otherwise the Reuben Mayes of the world would be considered better than the Dalton Hilliards of the world.
That's true... but I'm more of a 'here & now' kind of guy. I'm just happy to have a player I can count on anytime we need his services because when Lutz is sent out to make a kick, right now he is 'as good as' Morten.

But yes, it does take many years of greatness in this game to impress for such things as Hall of Fame inductions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom