Could Wil Lutz be as good as Morten Andersen? (1 Viewer)

That's true... but I'm more of a 'here & now' kind of guy. I'm just happy to have a player I can count on anytime we need his services because when Lutz is sent out to make a kick, right now he is 'as good as' Morten.

But yes, it does take many years of greatness in this game to impress for such things as Hall of Fame inductions.
Oh yes. I’m definitely with you on being MORE than content at the moment with our kickers. We have guys set at the two positions that can be game changers.

Oh yes. I’m definitely with you on being MORE than content at the moment with our kickers. We have guys set at the two positions that can be game changers.
It's a lot like when Drew walked onto the field with 37 seconds left on the clock on Monday night. I think to myself, 'Is there any other QB that I would rather have working for us on this final drive?' My answer was/is a resounding 'No!'

I can say the same thing when either Lutz or Morestead walks onto the field. And so having that standard in mind is why I apply the 'as good as anyone' (at the position) moniker to Wil & Thomas.

I am ecstatic to have these two in the Black & Gold! :9:

He's already as good if not better than Morten.

The only thing Morten has on him right now is longevity and nostalgia.

Look back at Morten's numbers, and you'll see that compared to today's standards, he wasn't a great as we all remember, but it is all relative to today's standard of a kicker. Just like a QB's stats from back then don't touch today's QB's stats.

...I'm more of a 'here & now' kind of guy.
Then I amend my opinion and Hartley tops the list for PK "in the moment". He unblinkingly drilled our most important kick ever.

Look back at Morten's numbers, and you'll see that compared to today's standards, he wasn't a great as we all remember, but it is all relative to today's standard of a kicker.
Yes, a look back at Morten's numbers reveals Lutz has a loonnnggg way to go to be in the same class:
Apart from XP distance, nothing has changed about kicking. And if you were around to see MA come out for a 50+ game ender, you remember how confident you were he'd make it.

One doesn't hold the NFL scoring record for more than a decade thanks to "nostalgia". Andersen is a kicking icon.

Lutz now engenders the same kind of fan confidence. But he's nowhere near legendary yet. Time wil tell.

Then I amend my opinion and Hartley tops the list for PK "in the moment". He unblinkingly drilled our most important kick ever.
He surely worked for us in that moment! :9:

Yes, a look back at Morten's numbers reveals Lutz has a loonnnggg way to go to be in the same class:
Apart from XP distance, nothing has changed about kicking. And if you were around to see MA come out for a 50+ game ender, you remember how confident you were he'd make it.

One doesn't hold the NFL scoring record for more than a decade thanks to "nostalgia". Andersen is a kicking icon.

Lutz now engenders the same kind of fan confidence. But he's nowhere near legendary yet. Time wil tell.

I am talking statistics, not accomplishments. Morten never had a 28 of 30 year with the Saints. Morten has 9-miss, 10-miss, and 11-miss seasons on the Saints resume. Again, it was a different era though and there was a different level of expectations of accuracy back in the 80s and early 90s.

So does a player's era make him better because the standards for his position were significantly lower and he in-turn got more accolades?

I'm not saying this is the case with Lutz, but we all thought we had Mr. Consistency with Garrett Hartley too after his 2009 season.

Deez Lutz is almost as good of a nickname as Snorten Morten was back in the 80's though, so there's that.

I am talking statistics, not accomplishments. Morten never had a 28 of 30 year with the Saints. Morten has 9-miss, 10-miss, and 11-miss seasons on the Saints resume. Again, it was a different era though and there was a different level of expectations of accuracy back in the 80s and early 90s.

So does a player's era make him better because the standards for his position were significantly lower and he in-turn got more accolades?
No idea what you mean by "era" or "different level of expectations" re kicking. The goalposts literally haven't moved since MA played. When offences stall, a kicker is brought out to score.

What "standards" were "lower" in past? :idunno:

Also, Andersen's quarter-century-career accuracy is 79.7%. Lutz's accuracy Monday night was 75%. Stats are not your answer, time of success on the job is.

And if you were around to see MA come out for a 50+ game ender, you remember how confident you were he'd make it.

If only Bum Phillips had that kind of confidence in Morten in 1983, we might have been a playoff team.

No idea what you mean by "era" or "different level of expectations" re kicking. The goalposts literally haven't moved since MA played. When offences stall, a kicker is brought out to score.

What "standards" were "lower" in past? :idunno:

Also, Andersen's quarter-century-career accuracy is 79.7%. Lutz's accuracy Monday night was 75%. Stats are not your answer, time of success on the job is.

Kickers are significantly more accurate today than they were in Morten's time.

You're creating a strawman argument by taking one game's worth of data from Lutz, an anomaly game based on the standard he set last year, and comparing it against Morten's lifteime percentage. Lutz is an 86.5% kicker and last year was a 93.3% kicker. Morten never made it anywhere close to 93.3% in his career, and only achieved 86.5% or better four times in his 25 seasons.

Morten was consistently in the 75% range in his time in New Orleans, and even had a 69% year. Honestly, I don't think its a stretch to say that Morten's run from 1987 through 1989 would probably result in him being cut if that happened in 2019 (1987 - 8 misses, 1988 - 10 misses, 1989 - 9 misses). In 1994, he missed 11 field goals, and was 0 of 6 from beyond 50. He'd have been cut at mid-season with those numbers this day and age and we'd all be calling for someone's head if he wasn't.

Kicker standards are far different today. The goal posts are the same, yes. But the players are better than they were back then, just as they are at most other positions. Heck, Morten was an All-Pro in 1988, a year in which he missed 10 field goals!

The argument works both ways though, and we will need to see Lutz do this a little longer to say hands-down he is better, but right now, to me he is better, but just less revered and with less data.

I just know one thing... when Lutz lined up for that 58-yard FG attempt... I felt it was money in the bank.

Lutz has a LONG way to go to approach the status of The Great Dane, but that kick would have been good from 65, jus' sayin...

The Myth of Morten has grow bigger then the reality. I remember distinctly that Morten missed more game winning 50 plus field goals then he made.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom