Could Winston be this years version of Matt Stafford. (1 Viewer)

For the most part, before going to the Rams, everyone already knew Stafford was good. He had been severely limited by a disfuncitonal franchise.
And Tampa has been a beckon of stability? I get how you may feel about Jamies. But, Monday morning QBing, and making excuses for Stafford at the Lions, who went to an obscenely talented Rams team, w/ Both players and coaches.

Jamies- 5/2 14 TDs 3 INTs in first 7 games - Weakest WR core of the Payton era.

Stafford- 6/1 19 TDs 4 INTs in the first 7 games - Super Bowl ready, winning team.

Last edited:
And Tampa has been a beckon of stability? I get how you may feel about Jamies. But, Monday morning QBing, and making excuses for Stafford at the Lions, who went to an obscenely talented Rams team, w/ Both players and coaches.

Stafford- 6/1 19 TDs 4 INTs in the first 7 games - Super Bowl ready, winning team.
Meh. That's selective stat giving and can be done in a number of ways. What would the Rams' record have been for the first 6 games if Stafford had thrown for 186 yards per game instead of 306? The Rams put up 34 points in week 1 with Stafford throwing for 321 yards. The Saints put up 38 points in week 1 with Winston not crossing the 100 yard passing mark until the fourth quarter. That's a huge credit to the Saints defense (holding Rodgers to a QBR of 15.3), allowing Payton to start Winston off on a very slow, conservative pace which was necessitated by his still having to improve and the Saints lack of skill at wide receivers.

I like Jameis, so I'm not sure what you're getting at with that. Secondly, stats aren't the final report card. Stafford was obviously plagued by a horrible organization. Jameis obviously had issues turning the ball over in Tampa. All I'm saying is that they were coming from two very different sets of circumstances. Jameis very well may mature in to a dependable championship winning QB. He may win many. I don't know. He has the talent, but we shall see. I sure hope it plays out that way. But there was a big difference in players when you consider Stafford coming out of Detroit and Jameis coming out of TB.

I like Jameis, so I'm not sure what you're getting at with that. Secondly, stats aren't the final report card. Stafford was obviously plagued by a horrible organization. Jameis obviously had issues turning the ball over in Tampa. All I'm saying is that they were coming from two very different sets of circumstances. Jameis very well may mature in to a dependable championship winning QB. He may win many. I don't know. He has the talent, but we shall see. I sure hope it plays out that way. But there was a big difference in players when you consider Stafford coming out of Detroit and Jameis coming out of TB.
Here is the crazy thing about this. Comparing Jameis first 4 seasons before the 33/30 to Stafford's career in Detroit (averages):

TD: MS - 23.5/ JW - 22
INT: MS - 12/ JW - 14.5
Comp %: MS - 62.6/JW - 61.9
QB Rate: MS - 89.9/JW - 88.2

Both played for horrible organizations, both only one was able to have that "excuse" associated with them while everything falls squarely on the shoulder of the other. I didn't include the 2019 season for 2 reasons:

1. It would add 3 more interceptions to Jameis average but also add 2 TDs but everything else remains very similar
2. To show that before the season that everyone clings to (both good and bad), a lot of comments regarding Jameis and Stafford and their "differences' don't hold up to scrutiny.

And this ain't nothing against you Naitch...you good in my book. Just showing that the 2019 season giveth and taketh away. lol Stats aside, I know we are all on the same page and we just want him to be the best QB that he can be for this organization.

Here is the crazy thing about this. Comparing Jameis first 4 seasons before the 33/30 to Stafford's career in Detroit (averages):

TD: MS - 23.5/ JW - 22
INT: MS - 12/ JW - 14.5
Comp %: MS - 62.6/JW - 61.9
QB Rate: MS - 89.9/JW - 88.2

Both played for horrible organizations, both only one was able to have that "excuse" associated with them while everything falls squarely on the shoulder of the other. I didn't include the 2019 season for 2 reasons:

1. It would add 3 more interceptions to Jameis average but also add 2 TDs but everything else remains very similar
2. To show that before the season that everyone clings to (both good and bad), a lot of comments regarding Jameis and Stafford and their "differences' don't hold up to scrutiny.

And this ain't nothing against you Naitch...you good in my book. Just showing that the 2019 season giveth and taketh away. lol Stats aside, I know we are all on the same page and we just want him to be the best QB that he can be for this organization.
We good, I appreciate your response.. And I understand what you are saying, but we aren’t comparing 2 parallel 4 year vets. When Stafford went to the Rams he was a seasoned professional of 12 years, a known commodity. He suffered 12 years of Detroit’s organizational ineptitude. The Rams knew the kind of player they were getting. Jameis on the other hand was a mixed bag 5 year vet when he came to us. The next 2 seasons here only gave reason for cautious optimism in the future, but it’s too soon to annoint him. That’s my comparison and why I believe saying Jameis is the next Stafford isn’t apples to apples. Stafford was a talented (football) mature seasoned vet, Jameis was a talented younger player who school is still out on.

Let Jameis Cook and the rest will sort itself out.
I agree with this. For some reason I think DA will let Jameis do more of what he’s capable of. I think Sean was trying to coach him in to being a different kind of QB and restricted him. Ultimately I think Sean was just trying to better prepare his mental approach, and maybe he achieved that, which will allow DA to open him up and let his natural talent flow..

Meh. That's selective stat giving and can be done in a number of ways. What would the Rams' record have been for the first 6 games if Stafford had thrown for 186 yards per game instead of 306? The Rams put up 34 points in week 1 with Stafford throwing for 321 yards. The Saints put up 38 points in week 1 with Winston not crossing the 100 yard passing mark until the fourth quarter. That's a huge credit to the Saints defense (holding Rodgers to a QBR of 15.3), allowing Payton to start Winston off on a very slow, conservative pace which was necessitated by his still having to improve and the Saints lack of skill at wide receivers.
What?

The Saints defense played out of their minds week 1 and held Rodgers to a QBR of 15.3. The Rams defense held Dalton to a QBR of 41.3. Which QB got significantly better help from his team's defense? The Rams lost the time of possession battle to the Bears by 10 1/2 minutes, but yet still beat them 34-14. That's insane to possess the ball for so little time but to win by such a large margin.

I agree with this. For some reason I think DA will let Jameis do more of what he’s capable of. I think Sean was trying to coach him in to being a different kind of QB and restricted him. Ultimately I think Sean was just trying to better prepare his mental approach, and maybe he achieved that, which will allow DA to open him up and let his natural talent flow..

Payton definitely had the leash on to start. Keep him in manageable situations where he won't try to do too much. By the Washington game he was starting to let him air it out more and he was unleashed at the start of the Tampa game.

DA won't have to rebuild his confidence like Payton did and the offense will get a full off-season to gel whereas last year he had to split reps. Carmichael put Brees in the best situation to succeed and I'm sure he'll do the same for Jameis.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom