Could Winston be this years version of Matt Stafford. (1 Viewer)

Stafford and Winston are a fair comparison, but the truth is… Stafford was better with Detroit than Winston was with the Bucs.

Winston has more to prove than Stafford did when he split for the Rams.

…but now, Jameis has no excuse. The weapons are at his disposal.

Stay healthy and get it

And I'll say this, this is the thing that kills me about all of the Anti WInston talk...the dude is still young in terms of being a QB, if he gets this right, he could be the guy for the next 10 years. Not sure why everyone was in a rush to run him out of town...for what Sam Howell, Carson Strong?!?!?! c'aint believe some of the names that were being floated pre draft.
Totally agree. That’s why the obvious bias is/was always so crazy. Winston literally has the arm and talent to grow into a top 5 QB and he made HUGE strides last year, while being leashed by Payton and throwing to backups.

Yet a lot of dudes wanted/want to push him down the road for guys like Minshew, Taysom, Foles, and a bunch of rookie 3rd rd draft picks.

I think JW is going to silence a lot of his critics this year. Sadly not all of them though. Some will never see him differently. Lol. The next era of Saints football might not be as fun for them.

Matt Stafford would have done worse than Winston if Stafford swapped teams

Stafford cant move around the pocket. It was Sean Mcvay who won the superbowl .

Mcvay took Goff to the Superbowl game.

***Mcvay would have won the Superbowl if it was either Stafford or Burrows as his QB
Rams bought the Super Bowl through free agency. Give McVay credit for that. Stafford was good, not great. And that is all that was needed with the talent amassed. both on offense and defense.

Jameis had 14 touchdowns and only 3 interceptions with what was pretty much the league’s worst group of pass catchers.

He will thrive this upcoming year if he plays the same way he did last season but with SIGNIFICANTLY more talent around him.
I agree. Everyone saying how’s he under so much pressure this season. But looking at his options this season, this should be the most at ease and relieved he’s ever been. Landry and MT catch everything and he has the deep threats he loves as well.

If Jameis does pretty well and the defense is outstanding, then we will make the playoffs. That is the formula. Jameis doesn't need to be Matthew Stafford or Drew Brees. Let's let Jameis get a full year in the same system.
Then we can determine if he might be the franchise QB or not - which none of us knows if he is yet.

Jameis had 14 touchdowns and only 3 interceptions with what was pretty much the league’s worst group of pass catchers.

He will thrive this upcoming year if he plays the same way he did last season but with SIGNIFICANTLY more talent around him.
I don't know if he'll be the next Stafford but if he can pick up where he left off last season then he can be the QB the Saints need to make a real run. We don't need him to be a super hero out there carrying the team. Just play within the system and play complimentary football. If you have to throw the ball away then fine. Punt is not a bad word. Field Goal attempts aren't a failure.

There's gonna be a lot of crushed souls here when it turns out he's just Jameis Winston for like the weirdest 8th season in a row.
I’m not a huge Winston fan and I don’t believe he’s the long term answer, but Winston was pretty darn good last season as far as being on the right path. No denying that

Stafford was good, not great.

If you mean for the Rams last season:

4,886 yards (3rd in NFL)
41 TDs (2nd in NFL)
17 Int (led league, but several other elite QBs had 13-15)
67.2 completion % (10th in NFL behind some playoff-missing QBs)
8.1 yards per attempt (3rd in NFL)
102.9 passer rating (6th in NFL)

I’m not a huge Winston fan and I don’t believe he’s the long term answer, but Winston was pretty darn good last season as far as being on the right path. No denying that

I'll deny it... When put into context... he had one great game, one bad game, and a hand full of games where he was mediocre / below average, and held back by Sean to minimize turnovers... Then he was out for the season. The bottom line is... we have no idea what we have with JW right now... All we have is hope that he doesn't shirt the bed with an otherwise stacked team. We were bottom ranked in nearly every offense passing category when he started last year... I give him credit for not turning the ball over., and hitting his "lay ups" in the few red zone opportunities we had.... but realistically, if we want to be a SB contender (like the rest of the roster suggests we are)... He's going to have to be more than a game manger that doesn't turn the ball over... He's going to have to put the team on his back at times.. In the biggest moment, with the most at stake... and "go win it"... I haven't seen anything close to that out of him... so yeah, I'll deny until I see it.

I'll deny it... When put into context... he had one great game, one bad game, and a hand full of games where he was mediocre / below average, and held back by Sean to minimize turnovers... Then he was out for the season. The bottom line is... we have no idea what we have with JW right now... All we have is hope that he doesn't shirt the bed with an otherwise stacked team. We were bottom ranked in nearly every offense passing category when he started last year... I give him credit for not turning the ball over., and hitting his "lay ups" in the few red zone opportunities we had.... but realistically, if we want to be a SB contender (like the rest of the roster suggests we are)... He's going to have to be more than a game manger that doesn't turn the ball over... He's going to have to put the team on his back at times.. In the biggest moment, with the most at stake... and "go win it"... I haven't seen anything close to that out of him... so yeah, I'll deny until I see it.
The problem with this stance is you disregard last season saying that while he was efficient, he didn't do enough but then also disregarding him leading the league in yards and #2 in TDs in 2019 because interceptions. As a Buc, dude averaged 274 yards a game. It's pretty much safe to assume that he had little to do with us being ranked at the bottom of offensive categories. haha. Pete Carmichael is going to build the offense around his strengths. If he fails or succeeds, so be it but let's just sit back and enjoy what is becoming of the 2022 season.

And it's funny that you bring up game manager when that's the role Tom Brady played during the playoffs on the Bucs road to a Super Bowl..lol.

The problem with this stance is you disregard last season saying that while he was efficient, he didn't do enough but then also disregarding him leading the league in yards and #2 in TDs in 2019 because interceptions. As a Buc, dude averaged 274 yards a game. It's pretty much safe to assume that he had little to do with us being ranked at the bottom of offensive categories. haha. Pete Carmichael is going to build the offense around his strengths. If he fails or succeeds, so be it but let's just sit back and enjoy what is becoming of the 2022 season.

And it's funny that you bring up game manager when that's the role Tom Brady played during the playoffs on the Bucs road to a Super Bowl..lol.

I didn't disregard anything... He wasn't efficient last year. We were dead last in nearly every passing category while he started. I said I gave him credit for doing what Sean asked him to do, which is not give games away by throwing picks. What he did before he got here is a bunk argument, because what he did got him ran out of Tampa, put on a prove it deal when no one else would pay him to start, and his former team immediately won a SB the minute he left town.

It's not safe to assume anything at this point, except maybe more of what we saw last season from him... Which won't be enough to win a SB... You can't hide your QB in the NFL playoffs, or against good teams in meaningful games... He will have to be more, even with a stacked team.

And calling Brady a game manager of any kind of kills your creditability... That guy has a resume that states he's the GOAT and will literally take on any role necessary to get a win... and can be great in any role.... Really bad comparison... If Brady was a Game Manager it's because the situation dictated... Not because he couldn't be more... That's pretty obvious to anyone that's watched the NFL for the past 2 decades.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom