COUNTDOWN 2020 (3 Viewers)

SaintLuke

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
There are only 100 days to go until our first SAINTS game of the 2020 season. Tampa Bay vs New Orleans SAINTS. Brees vs Brady. Therefore tomorrow morning, Saturday June 6th, the countdown begins. As we begin our traditional countdown this year we salute SAINT TEX for her many years of bringing us the COUNTDOWN. Thank you again SAINT TEX. Tune in tomorrow morning as we begin with number,
Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 7.03.47 PM.png

Last edited:
YAAAAAASSSSSS!!!!

So tomorrow is Tuttle? I'll let you have it (we all know what picture will be #1 in his list - part two of the one you have in the OP). I'll help out whenever I see the day has changed without and update. Most available on weekdays since I don't spend much time on the computer on weekends after doing it all week at work.

Anyway, let's be sure to make @Saint Tex proud and carry on her tradition of excellence!

GO LUKE!

I will be enjoying this all the way to the season. Luke is the one for this task.
He certainly is. Was super impressive with not only the images he used, but the way he structured the pics in the post. IIRC, every player that had one had their official Saints roster photo as the first image followed by action shots. He's got a good nose for the best pics too!

Thanks for starting this tradition, Tex. It's been a part of the off/pre-season on SR for quite some time now (probably predates my membership date...) and you more than deserve to hand off the Countdown to the board's community to keep it going.

In my best Casey Kasem voice, " And now on with the COUNTDOWN"

Shy tuttle banner PM.png

#99, Shyheim "Shy" Devonte Tuttle

Tuttle grew up in North Carolina where he played basketball, and football, and was on the track and field teams. He was a four-year starter in high school for the Black Knights of North Davidson High School. He went on to play football for four more years in Knoxville for the Tennessee Volunteers. Unfortunately his freshman season was cut short after suffering a broken fibula and tearing a ligament in his ankle. Tuttle's sophomore year also ended prematurely when he sustained a season-ending injury in his first career start. In his junior season, Tuttle played in ten games and as a senior he started all 12 of Tennessee's games and made 33 tackles (2.5 for a loss) one sack, an interception, and two blocked kicks.

Tuttle came into the NFL as an undrafted free agent for the SAINTS. He is the nephew of former NFL and CFL wide receiver Perry Tuttle. Wearing #74 in preseason last year, he began to shine and catch our eye. . He actually started the season opener against the Texans, and recorded a combined sack of Deshaun Watson. But it was against the Falcons in week 13 on Thanksgiving Day that he gave us the highlight of his rookie season. He recorded his first interception off of a pass by Matt Ryan, and stiff-armed him on to the turf in full stride. Rumor has it the estimated force of Matt Ryan’s head hitting the turf was 28 lbs per square 3 inches, or something like that. It is a visual we will remember for a long time. Tuttle played in all 16 of the Saints' regular season games.

As a rookie he made 18 tackles, 2 sacks, 4 defended passes and 1 awesome interception he and all the Who Dats will remember. One Matt Ryan is still trying to forget.

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 7.09.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-26 at 7.06.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-26 at 7.16.16 PM.pnghand slap.png

Last edited:
Sheldon Rankins banner.png

Sheldon Taylor Rankins

Rankins played his high school ball in Georgia and went on to the University of Louisville. His first two years he served as a backup but he started all 13 games for the Cardinals his Junior year. As a junior and senior he totaled 111 tackles, 14 sacks, 2 interceptions and a fumble returned for a TD.
In the Senior Bowl, Rankins raised his draft stock. With their first round pick the SAINTS selected Rankins with the 12th overall pick of the draft. He started his NFL career with some bad luck and suffered a broken fibula during practice. He was placed on injured/designated for return list. He was activated off injured reserve on prior to Week 9. During his rookie year, he played 9 games and finished with 20 tackles, four sacks, and a forced fumble.
Rankins started all 16 regular season ganes his second season .He helped the SAINTS defense go from 31st in the NFL in scoring defense, to tenth in the league. Rankins recorded 16 solo tackles (26 total), one forced fumble, one interception, and one pass defensed.
In 2018, Rankins started all 16 games, recorded 40 tackles and eight sacks. In the divisional round of the playoffs, against the Eagles. Rankins suffered a torn Achilles and was placed on injured reserve .
The Saints picked up the fifth-year option on Rankins' contract.. He finished the 2019 season with 10 tackles and two sacks through 10 games. He was injured against the 49rs in December and was placed on IR and missed the playoffs. We are looking for more shimmy shakes from Mr. Rankins.
Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 10.17.56 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-27 at 10.22.10 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-06 at 6.52.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-06 at 6.33.13 PM.png

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 11.19.18 AM.png
Mario Lashun Edwards Jr.

About 20 years ago, the Dallas Cowboys drafted Mario’s father, Mario Edwards Sr.. He had just completed his college ball career, where he won a National Championship as a defensive back for Florida State. Mario Edwards Jr. was raised in Denton, Texas north of Dallas while his father played for the Cowboys. He had a stellar high school career, playing football, basketball, and track. As a freshman he started at defensive end for Prosper High School and they won a State Championship. He transferred to Billy Ryan High School. As a junior he recorded 127 tackles, 50 tackles for loss and 18 sacks leading his high school to a state runner-up finish. After his senior year he was the USA Today High School Defensive Player of the year. He earned All-American honors from Sports Illustrated, Parade, and USA Today. Rivals.com regarded him as a 5-Star recruit. He was ranked as the #1 defensive tackle in that class, and #3 player overall. He was also a heck of a shot putter in high school. After visits to Texas, Oklahoma, and LSU, he followed his father’s footsteps and went to Florida State.
The plan was to redshirt him his freshman year but due to injuries he was forced into action. He played 3 years for the Seminoles, but before he left he once again did what his father did and won a National Championship. He accomplished this with fellow SAINTS teammates PJ Williams and Jameis Winston. After his junior year he decided to make himself available to enter the draft. The Oakland Raiders used their second round pick (35th overall) to select Edwards. In December of his rookie year, Edwards was placed on injured reserve. Early in the season the very next year once again, he found himself back on injured reserve. However he was activated off injured reserve and placed on the active roster late in the season. He stayed with the Raiders until he was cut in Sept of 2018. The New York Giants claimed him off waivers. He played 15 games for the GIANTS, recorded 12 tackles and 2 sacks. In March of 2019 he signed a two-year contract with the SAINTS. In 14 games for New Orleans last year he totaled 8 tackles and 3 sacks.
Mario Edwards Sr. is currently continuing his high school coaching career in Texas. But Coach Edwards' greatest pupil thus far has been his son, who at 6-foot-4 and 270 pounds is far larger than his father was (6-0, 195). He once told his Jr, , 'I’ve had my day in the sun," "When they mention Mario Edwards from now on, it's going to be all about you. They'll have forgotten all about me, and that's fine.
Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 11.29.52 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-06-03 at 9.59.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 10.05.39 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-07 at 11.36.03 AM.png

Last edited:
One of those versatile players Payton likes.
It would be an awesome feat if he can complete his trifecta next season with the SAINTS.
There are only a few players who have won a State High School Championship, a Collegiate Championship, and then win the Super Bowl. I sure would be happy for him. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom