COVID-19 - lifestyle and activity thread (1 Viewer)

Wanted to have some quiet time (believe it or not I can be reclusive at times and value my alone time), and give my wife the couch and remote for a night to watch whatever terrible shows she watches. I think she's currently on one where a bunch of horny young kids are on an island but can't have sex or they lose money.

Anyway, went camping. I went to the brewery @FootballLady recommended, as its out near a hidden camping spot I know. Got the Lux Mundi and the Cherry Bonus Pastor (https://savetheworldbrewing.com/our-beers/). Also had some whiskey. And hot dogs on sticks, which I would post in the food thread to assert my dominance, but at that point I was many beers and whiskey in and a bit three sheets and didn't take a pic.

It was awesome. Beautiful night. First time I've had quiet time in 2 months.

The weather’s going to warm up later this week so I’m thinking about doing an out and back backpacking trip Thursday and Friday. My boys have “school” so they can’t go, and it’s supposed to rain next Saturday, so I can’t wait for the weekend. My dogs will be very happy to go, though.

Love seeing all the outdoor activities....

With remote work being mainstream these days, I often find i'm working longer and getting online earlier. It's almost counterintuitive because at least when i traveled to work i'd get a break at the start and end of the day. Now it's just sit in front of the computer until my eyes burn, haha.

Anyway, i've been doing a 'peak a week' challenge for myself to get out of the house and keep my butt somewhat in shape. So taking off early one day and hiking a mountain of my choice. Lots of interesting ones to choose from. The weather isn't too hot yet so its perfect. Yesterday I did Lamus Peak near the Nevada border. Drove my little subaru up into the ravine to keep it out of the eyes of anyone thinking I might have something interesting in the car. Was a cool experience up there -- but bone dry and hot as hell

20200425_160212.jpg

saltflatsviews.jpg

Came back home and had a walk around West downtown around the gateway. That painting is of Donovan Mitchell, one of our star NBA Jazz players.

emptygateway.jpg

Not much to do up here in Ontario. Unseasonably cold. Even when we have a nice 55 degree day most things are closed.

All playgrounds closed
All recreational fields closed
All golf courses closed
All ski slopes are closed
All provincial parks closed
All the good conservation areas closed
All public marinas are closed

So many outdoor open air space areas are just shut down.

Easier to enforce this when we haven’t had a 65 degree yet this year. But holy hell this is maddening. Completely understandable, but maddening.

Saturday we actually drove over an hour out of the metro area to take our dogs to an open dog park a friend told me about. It was lovely -- pretty much had it to ourselves, and the dogs really enjoyed all the space. It was nice just to get out of the house.

And it's going to start getting hot later this week (80's), so Sunday I got up on the roof and cleaned out the swamp cooler and got it running.

And that was my weekend.

I've decided that I'm definitely going camping in the mountains later this week, just waiting to decide which day I want to go.

Saturday we actually drove over an hour out of the metro area to take our dogs to an open dog park a friend told me about. It was lovely -- pretty much had it to ourselves, and the dogs really enjoyed all the space. It was nice just to get out of the house.

And it's going to start getting hot later this week (80's), so Sunday I got up on the roof and cleaned out the swamp cooler and got it running.

And that was my weekend.

I've decided that I'm definitely going camping in the mountains later this week, just waiting to decide which day I want to go.

Jealous. Send pics. If it helps, I was really apprehensive about leaving the house overnight. I think I've become so ball and chained to the house that I wasn't sure how to deal with the freedom of leaving it. But that all went away as soon as I got camp setup and took my dog for a 5 mile hike. You won't regret getting out and your wife will probably thank you for giving her some free time too. Everyone needs it.

Jealous. Send pics. If it helps, I was really apprehensive about leaving the house overnight. I think I've become so ball and chained to the house that I wasn't sure how to deal with the freedom of leaving it. But that all went away as soon as I got camp setup and took my dog for a 5 mile hike. You won't regret getting out and your wife will probably thank you for giving her some free time too. Everyone needs it.
I will. There's a place near Bailey I like to go. It's only a little over an hours drive from where I live, and it's far from the most scenic place to camp in Colorado, but you have to hike five miles from the national forest entrance where you leave your car, so once you get to the camping spots (which just have rock fire rings) you're truly isolated.

It's going to be really warm Thursday and Friday, but was forecast to rain Saturday, so I was planning to pack in Thursday and pack out Friday. My boys have to be able to check in each day for "school" so they wouldn't be able to go, but now the forecast is showing it might not rain Saturday after all. If it keeps trending that way then I can wait until after they turn in their work Friday so they can come and then pack out Saturday.

Last edited:
Not traveling has been nice. My job and the wife's are safe, and we can both work remotely.

We walk the dog at least 3 miles every evening. Its something we both look forward to.

I worry what happens to the economy if this goes deep into the summer. We should be fine if restrictions lift by June 1 and things start moving again.

made cinnamon rolls from scratch - they were good except for the "i want the normal ones" critique

now i'm writing about making cinnamon rolls from scratch instead of transferring grades from the platform where we 'take' grades to the platform where we 'record' grades

made cinnamon rolls from scratch - they were good except for the "i want the normal ones" critique

now i'm writing about making cinnamon rolls from scratch instead of transferring grades from the platform where we 'take' grades to the platform where we 'record' grades

Yeast or sourdough?

I'm getting ready to make some sourdough bagels.

The girl and I hit the trail on the bike yesterday with lunch and a fishing pole in the backpack. We had a great time and even caught fish. But party's over. The sitter will be here and I'm off to work.

Yeast or sourdough?

I'm getting ready to make some sourdough bagels.
yeast
i FINALLY found some at the grocery (not gonna tell which one)

tried some morning bread first - i was worried it was dead (it was a 'bulk' bag) but i think i did the activation water too hot

then was pizza dough - pretty good but a bit too wet at first (now moving over to the 'start mixing the dry then slowly add in the wet' approach) -- i'm going to make pretzels with the remainder of the pizza dough

the dough for the rolls was really good - i baked them in muffin tins - the result was a bit more crusty than chewy - not sure if that's bc of the muffin tin or for letting them rise for too long - i have another batch that i left as long roll wrapped in saran wrap in the fridge - i think i'll wait until the morning to take it out and cut it and do the 2nd rise and see if that helps

yeast
i FINALLY found some at the grocery (not gonna tell which one)

Why not? I've been looking half heartedly, but I'm enjoying working with my sourdough starter for now, although I am burning through some flour. I think I have some yeast packets somewhere, but I haven't bothered to look. I think I have some champagne yeast, too, but I don't know if you can bake with it.

I finally found some whole wheat flour at Rouse's carrollton. I got the last bag. :cheer:

Your baking efforts sound great. Would like to hear more.

Why not?

I finally found some whole wheat flour at Rouse's carrollton. I got the last bag. :cheer:
this is why not

Your baking efforts sound great. Would like to hear more.
yeah, i'm excited about the pretzels - have never incorporated 'alkaline bath' in any cooking/baking before

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom