COVID-19 - lifestyle and activity thread (5 Viewers)

made cinnamon rolls from scratch - they were good except for the "i want the normal ones" critique

now i'm writing about making cinnamon rolls from scratch instead of transferring grades from the platform where we 'take' grades to the platform where we 'record' grades

:freak7:

I don't know which thread would be best to put this song into but I'm choosing this one. It's also a direct link to what's happening right now with the stay at home orders and such. Maybe 50/50 direct

Last edited:
I guess a good thing. But Toronto just had its coldest April in history. In terms of the lowest maximum daily temperature of 59 degrees. Previous lowest max temp was 62.

blah blah make my own bread and rolls and bagels and...

i made pb&j.

blah blah make my own bread and rolls and bagels and...

i made pb&j.
thanks for reminding me
2nd batch of both cinnamon rolls and pizza went much better
both doughs were improved by the slowly adding liquid to the dry process
1st batch of cinnamon rolls i did in muffin tins - too crusty

pizza was really good last night

I took off Thursday and Friday and went on a solo backpacking trip, just me and the dogs. The trailhead is less than an hour from the city, but it’s a solid two hour hike into the wilderness to the camping sites (five miles or so) plus there’s still a lot of snow on the trail, so it’s not heavily trafficked (at least by people right now — I did see a lot of mountain lion scat up and down the trail).

Needless to say my dogs had a blast, I just had to keep them in the tent or on the leash after it started to get dark. It got a little cold overnight, and I’m hurting from the hikes (it's a lot of up and down, plus there were a few deeps snow drifts I had to wade through), but it was nice to turn off the phone and get away.

Photos...
1588451174556.jpeg
1588451260858.jpeg

Last edited:
Camping seemed to make Zoe horny — she wouldn’t leave Comet alone (she’s got her mechanics backwards, though, not to mention they’re both fixed)...
1588452114882.jpeg

And here’s some mountain lion poo. Saw probably a half dozen droppings along the way.
1588452189386.jpeg

There's little floating dock in the neighborhood down the street - it's next to a boat launch in the back of a marina where the creek comes in. Not much to it but it does connect to open water. We started walking there in the afternoons when the weather is nice.

There's all these minnows and crabs around the dock and shore and my girls (5 and 7) wanted to catch them. So about 4 or 5 weeks ago I bought them these little minnow nets. We would bring a bucket and they would catch minnows and that was fun for a while. But I figured, if I'm going to be sitting this dock for an hour at a time watching them catch minnows, I might as well teach them some real fishing.

So about three weeks ago I went to Wal-Mart and got two little kids purple flicking sticks and a little girls' tackle box. Picked up some swivels, weights, bobbers, and a couple of lures and baits. I set the both up and showed the girls how to push the casting button in and toss the line out - how to keep it taught and watch the bobber, give it a pop here and there . . . the basics. But we weren't catching anything. This went on for three weeks. I had two different rigs set up (a little plastic chartreuse jig and one with just a hook and dried shrimp stuff) just to try to see if anything would hit it - and not jack crap. And the girls (along with the wife) were growing suspect of my whole fishing ambitions, and they mostly focused on the minnows while I fished the two rods.

Today, we strolled down there this beautiful afternoon, doing our normal thing . . . but today the fish were suddenly there and biting. The bobbers started getting pulled under and these little rigs are catching fish. I mean, little fish, on such light tackle that you couldn't do anything other than let them hook themselves. But we were legit catching fish from some little bullcrap dock - and having a blast.

We pulled out a 10-inch speckled trout and six juvenile drum fish of some kind. They probably school around the marina and we happened to catch them at eating time. The girls were giddy and had as much fun playing with the fish in the bucket (before we released them). My wife caught her first fish since she was a teenager - and loved it.

Some days, things just go your way.

Last edited:
Just got a Sony STR-DN1080 open box. I have some fairly nice speakers by Mistral...fronts, omni surrounds, and center along with a SVS PC12 subwoofer. I had no idea how much my old Onkyo receiver was holding my speakers back. The difference is amazing....movies, games, and music. Also ordered a Schiit DAC and tube preamp/headphone amp that i am looking forward to getting

Finally decided to get the Pit Boss Lockhart Platinum pellet smoker and grill. Talked to a reviewer on youtube who found that the digital temp setting is accurate to within 5 degrees and additionally it gets up to 700 degrees for searing.
Gonna pick that up tomorrow
images (4).jpeg
lockhartlifestyle600.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom