COVID-19 - lifestyle and activity thread (4 Viewers)

Welp, I'm wayyy too out of shape to do all that. That's pretty impressive! Last night I did Just Dance 3 and Kinect Sports on the 360 for about 45 minutes. That wore me out!

Anything is better than nothing. And today I've done nothing but sit around the house.

Anything is better than nothing. And today I've done nothing but sit around the house.

Yeah, I think working from home helps for me. That 90 minutes spent on my commute is gonna go into getting some exercise and doing stuff with my kids. I don't do much on the weekends tho.

I've been much more productive with working remote, actually. We use a remote in software which has worked fantastic for reviewing code, tasks, etc.

Off time I have been doing a mountain hike/run every few days as well as some trout fishing. Ordering a lot of food to my place to try to help out some local businesses anyway I can. Have some good friends who work in this industry. Also been binging Hulu, YouTube, Prime and playing a lot of games on my phone --our coed sports league now is doing 'remote leagues' where instead of sports, we compete in video games until the time of the virus is up :D

I guess my biggest thing is hoping this doesn't last through the end of the year. That'd be quite a bummer. I don't enjoy this quarantine life.

Anybody try Insanity or the other beach body programs?
We have done insanity. I would categorize it as the most intense cardio you could ever do. It has lots of different workout DVDs, but they are all pretty much insane. Our cardio went through the roof, but I dropped too much weight and actually lost muscle in my upper body.

We have switched to XTF max. It is similar to p90x. No one has ever heard of it, but the lady that leads it is a southerner with a friendly, funny tone. It's not so hard and we don't dread it like I did Insanity.

My wife and I have learned that if we don't work out together like a support group, we won't do it. We have to do workouts that she is comfortable with.

P90x was too long for each workout, and focused on lots of weights and intense exercises. Again, we dreaded doing it. We tried Insanity, and same thing. XTF max is not difficult but not easy. It is just right for us.

We now incorporate Insanity on the XTF cardio days, and P90x on the yoga days. We feel like we are picking and choosing the best of all the workout DVDs, while following the XTF framework as a foundation. It just seems to be easier to do day after day.

I highly recommend good footwear for whatever you choose. After a couple of incidents with feet, ankles, and knees, I cannot stress how important this is. Use one really good pair of aerobic shoes for your workouts and don't wear them for anything else.

I was on PTO last Thursday and Friday when all of this went down with my company and the team I support at ATT's facility. I have 2 contractors working for me so I've had to try and coordinate for them as well as myself, working with 2 different management teams. I'm a bit fried. I finally have my home setup done, but the job will still require going in 1-2 days a week for a few hours. The building is >95% empty so I don't feel vulnerable to get infected there. I'm still trying to get the 2 contractors setup but they want to still go into the office, so for now, that is the plan.

My wife teaches 5th grade and her ISD is moving to online teaching, starting on Monday. So the 2 of us will be home, with our 15 yro and 20 yro who will both be doing online learning for the high school and college respectively.

And we have a temperamental Shih Tzu.
My wife is a special ed teacher and is doing what she can from home. Our children are 7 & 17 and Abby hasn't killed the 17 year-old of yet, so there's that. We've had more family time (walks, games) this last week than in the last year. The warmer weather has been a blessing.

I'm still working as an OT/Director of Rehab in a skilled nursing facility, and likely to remain as such until this is over. For now, all is well :)

Last edited:
I have the P-90x one buried somewhere. Might have to dig it up and try it again. It's been a while.

dug our my P90x been doing that and I cleanedup my bicycle and have been riding every day. Just cleaned my garage, cleaned up my GTO. Gotta order a few parts and get it ready to drive again even if it’s just in primer.

Today one of my good friends and I went and ran the Convention Center steps - 15 rounds, 5 rounds of lunges, 5 rounds of squats, 100 push-ups and 100 dips. Might not be able to walk tomorrow but whatever, then I have a good excuse to get drunk instead.

ETA: I looked it up and there are 100 steps to get to the top so I ran 1500 today.

Last edited:
ok so, i have one of these (yes, an intoxicated purchase), 5 months now or so. i have no coordination and fall off of it everytime i try.

anyone else with one? for the price, i'd like to learn how to ride it one day. i'm just too spastic.

Been using my power rack, weights and kettlebells in my garage gym the last few days. Got in a good squat session over the weekend. Legs were sore afterwards. Also, hit the shoulders pretty hard the other day with overhead press and heavy shrugs. They were also sore yesterday. Funny how I'd been going to the gym and using mostly machines (with intensity typically) but having no soreness. Move back to free weights and soreness in abundance. I know there's more effort / work involved, but I don't feel like I was slacking at the gym. Maybe different muscle groups being utilized?

Always been a big bar-b-quer, but almost all pork with a few birds at times.

I am going to take this down time to learn how to do a brisket. Already completed one. It was actually better than I thought it would be, but still too tough for anyone's liking. pulled it at 190 degrees. will try 180 this time.

i am able to keep the temp from getting over 225 degrees, although it sometimes drops close to 200.
using a weber smokey mountain but may switch if this one does not turn out to my liking

I am going to take this down time to learn how to do a brisket. Already completed one. It was actually better than I thought it would be, but still too tough for anyone's liking. pulled it at 190 degrees. will try 180 this time.

i am able to keep the temp from getting over 225 degrees, although it sometimes drops close to 200.
using a weber smokey mountain but may switch if this one does not turn out to my liking

I'll see if I can dig up my notes on my brisket. The first time I ever did it, it came out perfect. The next 2 times were not as good.

Are you doing just flats or full packer briskets? You need to go to at least 195 or higher, regardless, I think.

Go for 203 - 205 in the thickest part (where the flat meets the point) if a full brisket. I typically do salt and pepper rub, wrap in butcher paper at 165 and let it go from there. Butcher paper will kill the bark some but helps keep it moist as well. I also like John Henry's East Texas Brisket Rub (gives an amazing smoke ring every time I've used it).

Watch Aaron Franklin's PBS special on brisket on YouTube if you haven't already. Some great tips there.

Quality of meat matters too. If you can get a prime brisket, the additional fat helps keep it from being too dry or tough.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom