COVID-19 - lifestyle and activity thread (2 Viewers)

Been using my power rack, weights and kettlebells in my garage gym the last few days. Got in a good squat session over the weekend. Legs were sore afterwards. Also, hit the shoulders pretty hard the other day with overhead press and heavy shrugs. They were also sore yesterday. Funny how I'd been going to the gym and using mostly machines (with intensity typically) but having no soreness. Move back to free weights and soreness in abundance. I know there's more effort / work involved, but I don't feel like I was slacking at the gym. Maybe different muscle groups being utilized?
Yup. you use more of the supporting muscle groups. consider seated chest press on the machine; straight out and back. Now look at the bench press with free weights; you take the weight off the rack, move it above your chest and now control for lateral movement as well as posterior/anterior movement and you're using many smaller muscles. Now, do heavy dumbell presses and more muscles become involved.

Yeah, I miss the gym already and it's been just over a week :hihi:

Yup. you use more of the supporting muscle groups. consider seated chest press on the machine; straight out and back. Now look at the bench press with free weights; you take the weight off the rack, move it above your chest and now control for lateral movement as well as posterior/anterior movement and you're using many smaller muscles. Now, do heavy dumbell presses and more muscles become involved.

Yeah, I miss the gym already and it's been just over a week :hihi:
Yeah other than the big heavy lifts our training coach never let us use bars, always had to use kettle balls or dumbbells.

I'm late to this, but @Beast 's and @Loose Cannon 's advice is all good. I would also add - tough is undercooked - crumbly is over.

Like LC said, best way to finish is by feel - jiggly all over and the thickest part of the flat probing like butter. That's about 200 for most briskets, but will be less for a really high quality piece of meat. And no problem running over 225 - it just speeds the cook. HOWEVER, it also increases your carry over cooking, so your window to finish is a little smaller.

And related - let your brisket cool for 10-20 minutes on a rack after you pull it, and then wrap it in butcher paper (better) or foil and then a few towels, and put it in a cooler for not less than 2 hours (and up to 6, but 2-4 is best). That rest time makes a huge difference. Don't cooler it immediately after pulling it, as it will continue to cook.

The best brisket I've ever done I rested for 8 hours in a Yeti cooler because I mis-timed it pretty badly over night for a Saturday day party. I was so worried it was going to be bad, but it was incredible. I have no idea if it was the 8 hours rest that did it or not, but I pretty much do all my briskets the same so that was the only variable really.

But that's probably the only scenario where it'd get rested for 8 hours. I'm not usually patient enough for more than two.

PS - the most horribly kept secret in Texas BBQ (it may not be a secret anymore, I dunno) is that Aaron Franklin uses Costco prime briskets.

P90x was too long for each workout, and focused on lots of weights and intense exercises. Again, we dreaded doing it. We tried Insanity, and same thing. XTF max is not difficult but not easy. It is just right for us.

I got to day 36 on P90X and was seeing pretty incredible results. But I had two things go wrong.

My right shoulder tore - it felt like someone unzipped my right shoulder - and my back gave out during a Mason twist. I was prone on the floor for like 4 hours and after pulling myself to the bathroom and peeing into my daughter's training potty, I decided it was time to call an ambulance.

6 hours in the ER with meds and the muscle spasm finally released. And I could stand up and pee like a big boy.

My wife's trainer said that P90X is good and can be effective, but it is intense and there are exercises that can do a lot of damage (eg core torsion exercises) if you aren't doing them properly.

The best brisket I've ever done I rested for 8 hours in a Yeti cooler because I mis-timed it pretty badly over night for a Saturday day party. I was so worried it was going to be bad, but it was incredible. I have no idea if it was the 8 hours rest that did it or not, but I pretty much do all my briskets the same so that was the only variable really.

But that's probably the only scenario where it'd get rested for 8 hours. I'm not usually patient enough for more than two.

PS - the most horribly kept secret in Texas BBQ (it may not be a secret anymore, I dunno) is that Aaron Franklin uses Costco prime briskets.

After trying a handful of local places I've settled on Costco as well.

Went up in the mountains today after work to a little creek with a few deep holes I always catch fish. Kept a nice brook trout for dinner. Prepping him now. Lemon, butter, shake of tony's and about to fry it up. I don't eat well but I hike like crazy on the weekends and it keeps me sane/somewhat in shape.

Was a nice day

spring2020.jpg

Went up in the mountains today after work to a little creek with a few deep holes I always catch fish. Kept a nice brook trout for dinner. Prepping him now. Lemon, butter, shake of tony's and about to fry it up. I don't eat well but I hike like crazy on the weekends and it keeps me sane/somewhat in shape.

Was a nice day

spring2020.jpg

lovely. If it weren’t for family I might live out in the west.

In the meantime, I’ve been put on furlough. So as much as I can get away from daycare I’ll be putting the kayak or boat in the water. I’ll try to document as I can. I’m also craving a brisket now.

And I know it’s not specifically to your interests, but I’ve been fascinated at the response of the local churches.

lovely. If it weren’t for family I might live out in the west.

In the meantime, I’ve been put on furlough. So as much as I can get away from daycare I’ll be putting the kayak or boat in the water. I’ll try to document as I can. I’m also craving a brisket now.

And I know it’s not specifically to your interests, but I’ve been fascinated at the response of the local churches.

Nice, where do you kayak? I assume most on this forum are from LA but i may be wrong. Take some pics or as you say document your adventures as you are able, I'm always interested in seeing where people go in the outdoors. Ill be heading to my parents in a few weeks and hope to do some gulf/islands trips.

What specifically about the church response? Most are exceptional in time of need. Unfortunately Utah has been on the negative side as hundreds of missionary families crowded together at the airport the other day to welcome back their kids. Can only hope it doesnt lead to a cluster of outbreaks.

Thanks for all the tips on the brisket. Think I am about to buy a Masterbuilt 560 gravity smoker/grill. Temperature is set digitally and ranges from 225-700 (only takes 13 minutes to get to 700)
41A77395-0583-4409-B8DA-5E205D7BDB07_1024x1024.png

Thanks for all the tips on the brisket. Think I am about to buy a Masterbuilt 560 gravity smoker/grill. Temperature is set digitally and ranges from 225-700 (only takes 13 minutes to get to 700)
41A77395-0583-4409-B8DA-5E205D7BDB07_1024x1024.png

If there's one real downside to condo living, it's this. No practical place to put a small bbq pit, much less one that size. One day we'll move to a house with a decent deck or patio.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom