COVID-19 - lifestyle and activity thread (3 Viewers)

So I thought i had the perfect solution to the quarantine blues.. i picked up tennis for the first time about 3 years ago, fell in love with it, but then got busy and haven’t played for about the last year.. so this past weekend , i met up with this guy who also belongs to the racquet club i belong to (which recently closed due to the virus).. he said he knew of some public courts that might be open, so we met there and sure enough, they were open.. so we’re playing, turns out he and i were pretty evenly matched in terms of skill level and i got a really good workout while staying like 30 feet apart most of the time, it was perfect.. . ‘Man, i thought to myself, this is gonna work out great!’... So we’re done playing, and we’re BSing afterwards when he starts asking about the cute blond girl who had been playing on the court next to us, with some guy who was dark-skinned , maybe half-black or Hispanic, i dont know.. He says ‘Do you think they’re together ?’ ‘I’m not sure’ i said, he was barking out instructions to her like a coach.. He says ‘I think theyre together’.. then he looks at me, this guy I’d only met an hour before, and says 100% serious: “That’s the problem with their generation- theyve been brainwashed to think that interracial dating is okay“ and then continues to lecture me on the evils of mixing races, how “they’re taking all our good ones”, etc... So... then I thought, ‘Hmm- I’ve been playing tennis with David Duke.’

Turns out he wasnt David Duke, but he actually did look a lot like him.. so now I’m torn; i really want to get out of the house and play tennis, but i really dont want to socialize with this dude, and it’s kind of hard to play if you’re not going to talk and get to know people a little... Not really sure at this point what I’m going to do.

Last edited:
If there's one real downside to condo living, it's this. No practical place to put a small bbq pit, much less one that size. One day we'll move to a house with a decent deck or patio.

Agreed.. actually, my condo prohibits grills at all, fire code or some such nonsense.. When we sold our house in Lakeview, i practically gave my Weber Genesis away becuase we were moving and couldn’t take it with us.. I was already missing that grill so much it hurts, like losing a best friend- now being stuck at home in a pandemic, i miss it even more. :(

If there's one real downside to condo living, it's this. No practical place to put a small bbq pit, much less one that size. One day we'll move to a house with a decent deck or patio.

Wife and i have an inexpensive condo we lived in for a good while. When we bought a house in Central on a half acre it was so damned liberating. I couldnt even crank up my stereo because my SVS subwoofer would literally vibrate my neighbors home
Still have the condo and its rented, but i would love to just sell it

So I thought i had the perfect solution to the quarantine blues.. i picked up tennis for the first time about 3 years ago, fell in love with it, but then got busy and haven’t played for about the last year.. so this past weekend , i met up with this guy who also belongs to the racquet club i belong to (which recently closed due to the virus).. he said he knew of some public courts that might be open, so we met there and sure enough, they were open.. so we’re playing, turns out he and i were pretty evenly matched in terms of skill level and i got a really good workout while staying like 30 feet apart most of the time, it was perfect.. . ‘Man, i thought to myself, this is gonna work out great!’... So we’re done playing, and we’re BSing afterwards when he starts asking about the cute blond girl who had been playing on the court next to us, with some guy who was dark-skinned , maybe half-black or Hispanic, i dont know.. He says ‘Do you think they’re together ?’ ‘I’m not sure’ i said, he was barking out instructions to her like a coach.. He says ‘I think theyre together’.. then he looks at me, this guy I’d only met an hour before, and says 100% serious: “That’s the problem with their generation- theyve been brainwashed to think that interracial dating is okay“ and then continues to lecture me on the evils of mixing races, how “they’re taking all our good ones”, etc... So... then I thought, ‘Hmm- I’ve been playing tennis with David Duke.’

Turns out he wasnt David Duke, but he actually did look a lot like him.. so now I’m torn; i really want to get out of the house and play tennis, but i really dont want to get to socialize with this dude, and it’s kind of hard to play if you’re not going to talk and get to know people a little... Not really sure at this point what I’m going to do.

That just makes me sad. Angry too, but more sad that there are still people out there who thinks like this. Sad for the people who have to put up with that nonsense. I'll never understand it.

Wife and i have an inexpensive condo we lived in for a good while. When we bought a house in Central on a half acre it was so damned liberating. I couldnt even crank up my stereo because my SVS subwoofer would literally vibrate my neighbors home
Still have the condo and its rented, but i would love to just sell it

Had I not started my current career so late, we'd have bought a house a long time ago. It's one of the few regrets I have in life.

Turns out he wasnt David Duke, but he actually did look a lot like him.. so now I’m torn; i really want to get out of the house and play tennis, but i really dont want to socialize with this dude, and it’s kind of hard to play if you’re not going to talk and get to know people a little... Not really sure at this point what I’m going to do.
What in the ever loving fork

Had I not started my current career so late, we'd have bought a house a long time ago. It's one of the few regrets I have in life.

I was in the same boat. I have a 2.25 acre lot in a cul de sac in Central up for sale. If it does sell, great if not I would love to build on it some day

That just makes me sad. Angry too, but more sad that there are still people out there who thinks like this. Sad for the people who have to put up with that nonsense. I'll never understand it.

Yeah, it’s so bizarre to me.. Like, it’s one thing to even have those thoughts; i disagree with them, but it’s a free country, think how you want, i guess.. But what people like that do, is they try to feel you out, to see if you share their views in order to confirm their stupidity and validate themselves i guess.. as a middle aged white guy, I’ve seen it before, and it really puts you in a bad spot if you don’t think like them, andjust want to let people live and let live.

Ok, on a work call, and I am 95% sure I just heard the sound of someone in the bath during the call.
I guess they could be in the pool...

Anyone else doing work from bath or work from pool?

Amazon free kids streaming now I read somewhere today.

Thanks for all the tips on the brisket. Think I am about to buy a Masterbuilt 560 gravity smoker/grill. Temperature is set digitally and ranges from 225-700 (only takes 13 minutes to get to 700)
41A77395-0583-4409-B8DA-5E205D7BDB07_1024x1024.png

One recommendation, and I assume the grill supports it, but don't use briquets.. Go with real wood lump charcoal. I prefer B&B (get it at Academy usually). They have an oak (brown bag) and a hickory (green bag). Think they have mesquite too, but I've always shied from mesquite for its overpowering flavor.

One recommendation, and I assume the grill supports it, but don't use briquets.. Go with real wood lump charcoal. I prefer B&B (get it at Academy usually). They have an oak (brown bag) and a hickory (green bag). Think they have mesquite too, but I've always shied from mesquite for its overpowering flavor.

I do exactly the same

I used to care about all that but I've found good ol' kingsford in the blue and white bag is most consistent. That said, I won't deviate from that brand because going off is definitely not the same experience.

I used to care about all that but I've found good ol' kingsford in the blue and white bag is most consistent. That said, I won't deviate from that brand because going off is definitely not the same experience.

I can't use briquets due to having a ceramic grill, but I would say do whatever works for you. But I do like how hot and clean lump burns.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom