COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [11,688,428 US cases, 254,125 US deaths.] (25 Viewers)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The original COVID-19 Outbreak thread has been closed but is still available as a read-only thread (sticky above). The original thread had become less and less about new information and more about petty bickering. The purpose of this new thread is to link or report new information as it comes out. Try not to go off course from the topic. Those of you who had been banned from the original thread feel free to participate in this new thread. Just stay on topic. Thank you.
-----------------
Edit - Andrus:
Bottom line is that moving forward we simply don't want any political bickering going on within this thread, and want to try to limit this thread to being as much about sharing Covid-19 information as possible.

If you want to discuss the political aspects of Covid-19 with other SR members, you can do so here (If you are not already registered there, you will be required to do so)...
------------------
UPDATED TRACKER LINKS:

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm good on tp and paper towels at least a couple more months. At some point last spring, my wife bought enough to last 6 months. Well, she did it over a few trips, then I told her she needed to stop. Lol. I'm kinda glad I don't have to worry about it anytime soon.

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
I also started accumulating supplies in January and February then started replinishing them in the summer. I even have chlorox and lysol wipes as well as spray lysol. Haven't seen those available since February.

I do hear a lot of people complaining about people like me that are prepared because they didn't believe in Covid. Ironically, they are now without toilet paper, screaming on social media about how the toilet paper should be divided up equally. If this continues through Christmas then I'm done with my Christmas shopping.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I also started accumulating supplies in January and February then started replinishing them in the summer. I even have chlorox and lysol wipes as well as spray lysol. Haven't seen those available since February.

I do hear a lot of people complaining about people like me that are prepared because they didn't believe in Covid. Ironically, they are now without toilet paper, screaming on social media about how the toilet paper should be divided up equally. If this continues through Christmas then I'm done with my Christmas shopping.
I'm lucky that I ordered some TP from costco like a week ago online. Showed up on Tuesday. ;)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
As much crap as I've talked about racing to get a vaccine, I'm in the same boat. So far, the data that has been released makes the vaccine a no-brainer but until the bulk of the data is released I think anyone should reserve the right to be skeptical. Under the assumption the data that has been presented by both Pfizer and Moderna is correct and not misleading then I think any reservations about the vaccine from all but the anti-vax crowd will quickly disappear. Pfizer has been extremely honest, tempered expectations and has acted very responsible throughout but they are still a big pharma company. Moderna on the other hand has shown some sleezy tendancies along the way with the sale of stock and announcement timings. If it were just Moderna, I'd have a lot more doubt.

I'd love to depend on the FDA but the FDA has also been treated as a political toolbox by this administration and it is very difficult to trust them. I have a lot more trust in Fauci, Birx and EU.
Most of us our age aren't going to be first in line to get it anyway. So, we'll have more time to see if there are any issues.

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
You couldn't pay me to participate in this nonsense.

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You couldn't pay me to participate in this nonsense.

I'd say it's unbelievable, but I know better. It is totally believable. People just don't give a shirt anymore because they're selfish.

Arathrael

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Initial data from the AstraZenaca/Oxford candidate vaccine phase III trials is in, indicating up to 90% efficacy depending on dosing regimen. So that's promising.

All we have to do now is be patient and sensible while we wait for the final results, approval, and distribution. If only we'd shown we were collectively capable of being patient and sensible. Vaccines are looking good, but we're still in for a rough ride for a while longer I fear.

J.T.

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
San Francisco, via La Place, via Galliano, via Mon
The news from AstraZeneca is VERY good. They should be in position to push out more doses of vaccine in the next 2-4 months than Pfizer and Moderna combined.

Very positive news. An average of 70% effectiveness is still very high. The results look a little strange in their outcome, with a lower first dose being more effective, but it may result in a better immune response.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The news from AstraZeneca is VERY good. They should be in position to push out more doses of vaccine in the next 2-4 months than Pfizer and Moderna combined.

Very positive news. An average of 70% effectiveness is still very high. The results look a little strange in their outcome, with a lower first dose being more effective, but it may result in a better immune response.
Yes and it means the same amount of vaccine made can serve more people.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Another main point is that it only has to be refrigerated, not frozen. This makes it far easier to distribute globally.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 8, Guests: 14)